N'spirations12 - update

Started by H, July 16, 2013, 08:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulCheffus

Quote from: Michael Shillabeer on August 17, 2013, 07:17:11 AM
1: Sales for issue 11 were slow and low which could be attributed to the summer. Future publication is on hold!!! Issue 12 could be the last one.

Hi

That does surprise me as they seem to disappear very quickly on eBay.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

OwL

1: Sales for issue 11 were slow and low which could be attributed to the summer. Future publication is on hold!!! Issue 12 could be the last one.
Normal modellers are probably fed up with the elitist snobbish comments found frequently in the magazine. It encourages advanced modelling skills for advanced modellers only and looks down it's nose at any one else not deemed good enough to be in that little club

2: Why are there so few good N Gauge layouts, but there are many poor ones?
The comment above re-inforces my point above. There is no such thing as a poor layout. One persons attempt may not be up to the high standards deemed as a pre-requisite for the magazine however I would never call any ones attempt at modelling 'poor'. I actually think it poor for you to make such comments like that. Personally if I never saw the magazine again, I would deem it as no great loss to the N Gauge hobby.

Michael

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

H

Quote from: OwL on August 17, 2013, 08:54:45 AM

Normal modellers are probably fed up with the elitist snobbish comments found frequently in the magazine. It encourages advanced modelling skills for advanced modellers only and looks down it's nose at any one else not deemed good enough to be in that little club

You've obviously completely missed the point of the magazine - it's aim is to encourage and show ordinary modellers how to improve their modelling standards and is not 'for advanced modellers'; presumably they read MRJ and model 2mm fine-scale.

Personally if I never saw the magazine again, I would deem it as no great loss to the N Gauge hobby.

I'm not sure that sort of comment is appropriate on this forum. How would you like it if your efforts in creating something (in this case a publication) were castigated that way and were told that if none of you posts were ever seen again it would be no loss?

H.

OwL

How would you like it if your efforts at building a model railway layout were deemed as poor as pointed out by one of your key sponsors? Not very nice when someone 'calls' what one holds dear is it?

H

Quote from: OwL on August 17, 2013, 09:29:05 AM

How would you like it if your efforts at building a model railway layout were deemed as poor as pointed out by one of your key sponsors?

Show how wrong you can be - I haven't said that at all, in fact I doubt I've used the word 'poor' at all previously on this thread. And I don't have any sponsors.

Your comments are not balanced, constructive or accurate.

H.

scotsoft

Gentlemen, if this is going to turn into a slanging match, I will lock the thread.

John.

OwL

Another excellent issue full will positive N Gauge modelling.

There are some interesting comments and observations:

In particular:

Buy a copy now and don't share a copy with club members/friends, buy your own!

Michael

Read the above post. If Iam not mistaken someone with alot of knowledge about your magazine sales 'being slow and low' also seems to think that there are many 'poor' layouts out there. Not one of your sponsors then H?
I would really expect an esteemed modeller affiliated to your publication to not make such comments. Afterall we are not all blessed with divine modeling skills.
Any attempt at building a layout should be encouraged and supported not described as 'poor' in the vast majority of cases!

I personally think the above comment regarding layouts as being 'poor' is neither balanced, constructive or accurate.

Don't bother locking the thread John, I have made my final point and quite frankly I will not be entering into any more debates/discussions with members who deem the vast majority of people's efforts as poor. Instead I will spend time encouraging people who at least 'have a go' at modelling and help them develop as I have been helped to develop.

People are welcome to spend their money wherever they choose, I however will not advocate or support a publication which harbours and defends people whom quite snobbishly look down their noses at the vast majority of layouts out there as shown by the quote above...........

Truffles

Quote from: Owl on August 17, 2013, 07:17:11 AM

Personally if I never saw the magazine again, I would deem it as no great loss to the N Gauge hobby.[/color]

Very nasty comment. In the thread on Dapol Dave you castigate him for using RMWeb as a platform...... do you get the irony of that when you make statements like the one above. What manufacture in their right mind would come here when they could get that type of comment made about their company/products?

H

Quote from: OwL on August 17, 2013, 10:32:56 AM

Read the above post. If Iam not mistaken someone with alot of knowledge about your magazine sales 'being slow and low' also seems to think that there are many 'poor' layouts out there. Not one of your sponsors then H?

Correct - not one of my sponsors. I don't have any.

Quote from: OwL on August 17, 2013, 10:32:56 AM

I would really expect an esteemed modeller affiliated to your publication to not make such comments. Afterall we are not all blessed with divine modeling skills.

Again you're talking about things you obviously don't understand or know about. The article in question was about comments made in a commercial magazine regarding the lack of high quality N gauge layouts - not about 'poor' ones. Perhaps if you had read it instead of sounding off over a posting on this thread . . . . .

I praise good layouts and modelling and I point out where improvements can be made. However, I recognise that some are of higher standards than others, but I don't slag off either - unlike in what appears to be just a rant about the N'spirations magazine in calling it 'elitist and snobbish' and 'looking down the nose at others'.

But then perhaps I ought be proud that it is elite and can invoke such rash and unfounded criticism. It's nice to have passion in ones hobby. I hope that others who have purchased a copy enjoy it and appreciate and understand the issues in a more controlled and balanced manner.

H.

EtchedPixels

Sturgeons Law: 90% of everything is crap

(said after someone asked him why 90% of science fiction is crap)

Most OO layouts are "crap", but there are a vast number more so there are a few more great ones.

Personally I think it misses the point. If its fun and does what the builder wanted then its not "poor" in my book.  Measuring every layout against some magical exhibition standard is silly unless its at an exhibition and thats what its creator wanted to achieve.

I've operated a couple of great layouts that were most definitely "trainsets" but they were fun to operate and although set-track with basic scenery had been designed to be fun to operate.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Tank

Hello all,

I'm not happy with the way in which posts have been worded in this thread, and I've had many PM's showing concern. 

Members are always welcome in having their opinion but there is a way to go about it - especially in keeping with the spirit of the forum.

I do understand that a number of members get tired of layouts in magazines having to be of 'exhibition quality' (whatever that actually is! ;)), and I do wish to see more of what the average person creates at home.  My father for example models in OO.  He would never dream of blending various scatters for a field, but would find a tin of green paint that's going cheap and that would do.  He needed a castle, so at a car boot he found one from a fish tank!  :)  Some fencing was needed, so he used some of the model ladders that he had left over from other projects.  This is perhaps the opposite end of the scale to the exhibition/magazine standard, but I personally admire people who love their trains and aren't too fussed about the scenery, customising or detailing.  I like to see what makes other people have fun and would LOVE to see more pictures of home layouts!

moogle

Quote from: EtchedPixels on August 17, 2013, 03:11:05 PM

Sturgeons Law: 90% of everything is crap

Thats life!  :laugh:

My modelling is poor. Compared to say Copenhagen Fields.
But it is better than when I started and thats how most modellers are.
So there is not really anything such as a poor modeller.
Unless you're including my modelling budget!  :laugh3:
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

kirky

It saddens me that occasionally we sometimes forget what we are about; enjoying modelling, all the aspects that encompass the hobby.
I would like to make the point that generally we are very supportive of each other, especially on this forum. And Chris should be applauded for his efforts in keeping the forum afloat. Likewise, Grahame has made a sterling effort to support the hobby with his magazine. He should also be applauded. Two different mediums aimed at supporting the hobby. There are also many one man companies who support the hobby for love of it, not for the money I'm sure and quite a few who post here regularly.
For me one of the most important aspects of the hobby, the main reason I enjoy it, is the spirit of co-operation and not competition, whether that is here on the forum, or at the club of which I am a member.

I get plenty of competition shoved down my throat at work thanks very much, so please guys, can we try and be a bit more supportive in our opinions.

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

point blank

Just purchased a copy off the bay. Thanks H.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations