Layout Names

Started by elmo, July 19, 2011, 09:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Quote from: N Gauge Bob on August 30, 2011, 09:01:52 PM
Quote from: grumbeast on August 30, 2011, 08:38:28 PM
I have a challenge, as my layout will run European / Japanese and British.. and I'm thinking of how to use view blocks to have different country flavours, but a name
now I'm struggling there (Quinntopia is a good one, but I don't want to be a copycat!) All I can think of is Bad Daisen on the wold!

Graham
Nippon Briteec?

Blitainwelt?? Sorry :-[

grumbeast

I like that .. Blitainwelt .. its a bit un-pc , but it sounds pretty convincing .. top marks so far!

Graham

longbridge

My new British layout I have named Cofton Hackett and the new American layout that resembles NW California I have named Santa Enscala, both freelance setups.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

4x2

I've had loads of layouts over the years, I started with mk1, mk2 etc... Only recently have I named any - here's what I came up with...

Ellswork - 'L' shape corner layout
Whitsend - Actually a cross between Whitby and Sandsend as suggested in recent peco track plan booklet
Dore Marsh - Current layout built on a £20 b&q door

Dore marsh has run into size issues (it won't fit in the car  :-[) so i'll have to modify or start again (after i measure the boot this time !). Any suggestions about the name welcome, or i may leave it as it is...
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Portpatrick

As a teenager, my OO layout was an recognisable adaptation of Burnham on Sea.

Since I went N Gauge everything has been a just supposing.

Ambleside - the Windermere branch was extended to Keswick.  Never anything like finished, and I sold it. 

Then daughter No 2 arrived and I had to abandon a continous layout.From now on they all hit the exhibition circuit:

Grasmere - as above but only to a terminus before geography proved difficult.  Scrapped 1989
Morfa Nevyn - joint LMR/WR terminus.  Scrapped 1994
Abersoch - again joint LMR/WR.  This made it to Aly Paly in 2001.  Sold in 2003
Portpatrick Town - assumes a different ending for the short sea crossing.  Only have space for a small town station, so boat traffic goes through.  This got to Aly Paly in 2008.

No immediate plans for another.  Thinking of extending PP.  But also pondering a more contemporary layout perhaps inspired by the Great Glen - another never happened.

Sprintex

Took me ages to think of an original name for mine, but eventually I came up with "Hasford Blacklock". Might seem a weird name, so I'll explain how it came about . . .

The most important things in my life are my misses (fiancée technically but we're only missing a piece of paper ;) ) and our cars, seeing as that's what brought us together in the first place. Playing with different names whilst bored at work I thought about the cars - since they're Fords it made sense to use this as a lot of places end in -ford due to them growing out of settlements around river crossings. Our cars are like children to us, and our original two have been christened "Helen" and "Sophia" . . . don't ask!  :smiley-laughing:  So Helen and Sophia and ford gave me "Hasford". This didn't sound that memorable to me, especially if the layout was ever to make it to an exhibition, so I needed a second name. My other half's surname is Blacklock, which sorta sounds like a place in itself, and again places the layout on a river, so I adopted this as the second word. Also it means her family name won't be completely lost when we get married :)

I even invented a complete history for the town that you can read on my website if you really have nothing better to do ;D. Even the eventual destination at the end of the branch line has a link to one of our cars  ;).

Paul

Newportnobby

Good story, Paul. At least you know if you ever decide to model a USA layout you can call it 'Sierra something' :thumbsup:

mmcsadler

My layout is called BURSTON. It is supposed to represent a medium sized town somewhere between Birmingham and Derby on the Midland cross country line in the late 1950s/early 1960s. See
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHlcKF80ofA for a short video

N Gauge Bob

Quote from: mmcsadler on September 05, 2011, 12:24:58 PM
My layout is called BURSTON. It is supposed to represent a medium sized town somewhere between Birmingham and Derby on the Midland cross country line in the late 1950s/early 1960s. See
Very nice layout Mike. I especially like the oil terminal.
Cheers, Bob
Remember this:
Amateurs..............built the Ark!
Professionals........built the Titanic!

galway

A lovely layout Mike, as a matter of interest what is the make of the footbridge, it looks just like the one I want to model based on Athenry Station here in Co Galway, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Paul
Is féidir tú a choinneáil ar eascainí an madra nó is féidir a lasadh coinneal duit

longbridge

Lovely layout Mike and the long trains look great.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

mmcsadler

The Oil Terminal is made up of mainly 3 Faller kits I obtained second hand already made up so I had to modify them to suit. The road tanker loading structure is made from PECO rail and Scalescenes corrugated iron paper has been used for the roof - I got the idea from photos I found searching the Internet. The rail tanker loading structure is made from bits of wire. The vehicles are Fleetline whitemetal kits and are in the correct REGENT livery for the late 1950s.

The station footbridge was made from a couple of P&D Marsh whitemetal footbridge kits suitably adapted.

The layout is 22ft x 10ft in my loft so I can run scale length trains just as I remember them. 

N Gauge Bob

Quote from: mmcsadler on September 06, 2011, 10:08:00 AM
The Oil Terminal is made up of mainly 3 Faller kits I obtained second hand already made up so I had to modify them to suit. The road tanker loading structure is made from PECO rail and Scalescenes corrugated iron paper has been used for the roof - I got the idea from photos I found searching the Internet. The rail tanker loading structure is made from bits of wire. The vehicles are Fleetline whitemetal kits and are in the correct REGENT livery for the late 1950s.

Thanks Mike. A definite thought for the new layout. Cheers, Bob
Remember this:
Amateurs..............built the Ark!
Professionals........built the Titanic!

H

Quote from: mmcsadler on September 05, 2011, 12:24:58 PM

That layout's got a nice realistic open and spacious look and feel to it.

H.

galway

Quote from: mmcsadler on September 06, 2011, 10:08:00 AM
The station footbridge was made from a couple of P&D Marsh whitemetal footbridge kits suitably adapted.

Thanks for that very helpful.
Paul
Is féidir tú a choinneáil ar eascainí an madra nó is féidir a lasadh coinneal duit

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations