Am i the only person here interested in Heavy Aviation Metal?

Started by B757-236GT, April 24, 2013, 09:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B757-236GT

Quote from: kaiwhara on April 25, 2013, 04:18:17 AM

We still have one piece of Noisy Metal over here, but not carrying passengers. It does the nightly postal rounds and since the below image gained Courierpost titles.

A rare one that one. Spent its entire life in New Zealand. Sadly you need to change the tense to did as its been stored since june 2012 according to airfleets.

The one i miss the most is the Diesel 10 especially the 10-40s with their water injected engines. Never heard a sound like it.

Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

Christina

I'm personally a 757 Fan, followed by the 707 and then the Comet.

I've only been on a 757 and an A320 so far, but booked on a 767 and another 757 this summer :D First widebody flight! :O

Agrippa

In the end the B707 was probably the greatest civil jetliner.
saw off the opposition like the DC8 and Convair 660/990,
configuration still used unlike buried engines and rear
mounted apart from some regional jets. Still in use as
KC 135 tanker and Sentry AWACS.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

pape_timmo

My favourite has got to be Concorde, but the Nimrod comes a very close second.

I worked at the RAE at Farnborough from 1989 to 2009, and got to see alot of planes and airshows in that time. The Antonov 225 coming in over the Swan pub, and the Antonov 124s sitting at the end of the runway were really a sight to see. The 124s used to blow all the signage away along the runway as they powered up.

But the best memory is the 1990 (i think) airshow when Concorde rolled out onto the runway to take off. I was walking back to the factory site across the end and she sat there winding up. I was along the centreline, and looking into the setting sun as she rolled away, the jet exhaust swirling and shimmering as she lifted gracefully into the sky, the dark orange sun beyond. WHAT A SIGHT! I never got a picture of that, I'd just used the last of my film in the static park. Gutted doesn't eve come close. But what a memory.
There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

keerout

Pengi

I am a Concorde fan too - the design is so gorgeous and timeless. Fortunate enough to have travelled on one - never forget seeing the dark blue sky, the curvature of the earth, the mach indicator . . .

Was devastated when they were withdrawn from service  :'( :'(
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

silly moo

I've just bought an Airfix Concorde kit to build to go with my Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane, I also have a DC-3. All are 1:144 scale and are destined for the skies above my layout. The airspace is going to be very crowded  :D

Veronica

Pengi

Quote from: silly moo on April 26, 2013, 07:31:27 AM
I've just bought an Airfix Concorde kit to build to go with my Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane, I also have a DC-3. All are 1:144 scale and are destined for the skies above my layout. The airspace is going to be very crowded  :D

Veronica

Good thinking. I will get some Concorde kits. With my Crafty Computer waterslide paper, I can do some other liveries e.g. ICE or SWT or Southern 8)

silly moo

Hi Pengi,

The Airfix kit was an old one but you can get a Revell Concorde kit in 1:144 scale.

Regards

Veronica

silly moo

Concorde in 1:144 scale is 43cm long so it will make quite a statement on any layout  :D

Pengi

kaiwhara

Quote from: B757-236GT on April 25, 2013, 09:40:49 PM
A rare one that one. Spent its entire life in New Zealand. Sadly you need to change the tense to did as its been stored since june 2012 according to airfleets.

The one i miss the most is the Diesel 10 especially the 10-40s with their water injected engines. Never heard a sound like it.

Richard

Hmmmm, must admit Ive not paid too much attention lately (House has been higher up the food chain the last few months). It was still going the last time I looked. Might have to do some digging on NQC...

Andrew
:Class414:  :NGaugersRule: :Class37:

My Model Planning Thread:

(Click on Picture to view thread)

View my photos at my Flickr Account

kaiwhara

:Class414:  :NGaugersRule: :Class37:

My Model Planning Thread:

(Click on Picture to view thread)

View my photos at my Flickr Account

Christina

Quote from: Pengi on April 26, 2013, 10:37:29 AM
Thanks - so it will only be one Concorde on my layout!

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but with a 737 with full flaps extended and gear out, just about to land on the airport just beyond my layout :D

Greybeema

Quote from: Christina on April 26, 2013, 12:14:33 PM
Quote from: Pengi on April 26, 2013, 10:37:29 AM
Thanks - so it will only be one Concorde on my layout!

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but with a 737 with full flaps extended and gear out, just about to land on the airport just beyond my layout :D

Flaps and gear would be an easy mod - is there a drooped snoot in the box though?
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations