What job do you do?

Started by guest2, June 28, 2011, 09:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude Dreyfus

Quote from: tadpole on July 01, 2011, 08:11:57 AM
This hobby does seem to attract gentlemen of the cloth.

Anyone else remember the late great Rev. Teddy Boston from Cadeby in Leicestershire?

He had a wonderful GWR 00 layout based on five lines radiating from a junction at Olton Priors (Newton Abbot, get it?). This filled a large shed behind the church which I'm sure was meant for some holier function, and took five people to run with working signalbox bells and track status indicators. He also gave rides on a short railway (3' gauge?) round the vicarage's back garden.

If his services were half as much fun as his railway operating sessions, he will have had a full church every Sunday.

Talking of seminal layouts, signal box bells and Men of the Cloth, we cannot neglect Peter Denny and Buckingham. I was lucky enough to see it 'in the flesh' at his vicarage near Newquay (the sounds stick in my mind more than the sights)...the Denny's ran a B&B at the vicarage; perhaps the best B&B in the world?

For my work, I work as a Business Analyst (whatever that is?) for an Insurance Company...

NTrain

I have been a heating engineer, an industrial sales engineer, computer programmer, analyst programmer, business analyst (mainly insurance) and now I sit at a till and sell petrol in a BP garage...........................

Tank

Quote from: m1racleman on June 30, 2011, 11:58:11 AM
45 years as a flooring contactor, I may even have met Tank on my travels !!

You never know! :thumbsup:

tadpole

Quote from: Lawrence on July 01, 2011, 12:15:33 PM
Tadpole - do you have any involvement in ROV work (think that's what it's called - subsea remote operated vehicles) always fancied a go at that  ::)

No direct professional involvement in with ROVs, although I have witnessed their activities as an interested bystander, and occasionally I have to arrange ROV subcontractors to support some of our offshore contracts.
Two rails good. Three better.

guest311

security officer, working nights, 4 on 4 off 12 hour shifts. basically patrols, monitoring alarms, cctv, control of entry etc.

previously been RAF Police QPD, HGV driver, bus driver, AA patrol - just couldn't face working in an office !

Lawrence

Quote from: class37025 on July 06, 2011, 08:58:48 AM
security officer, working nights, 4 on 4 off 12 hour shifts. basically patrols, monitoring alarms, cctv, control of entry etc.

previously been RAF Police QPD, HGV driver, bus driver, AA patrol - just couldn't face working in an office !

:o :o  Tank, can we just ban 37025 now please  ;)

Honestly, you spend 15 years of your life trying to avoid 'em then they turn up here

:smiley-laughing:

guest311

Why do snowdrops walk round in pairs ?

one can read, one can write

What about the dog handlers ?

the dogs do both !

Lawrence

Quote from: class37025 on July 06, 2011, 09:47:08 AM
Why do snowdrops walk round in pairs ?

one can read, one can write

What about the dog handlers ?

the dogs do both !

Ah yes, the good old brain on a chain  :smiley-laughing:

scotsoft

I started off in engineering in a small company in Fife and ended up working in R&D for most of my adult life.  After being made redundant I requalified as a teacher in IT, after a few years of that had to give up working due to my health, I now pass my time on my many hobbies.

Pete Mc

Started work in 1985 as an apprentice plumber at the local authority housing department until 1989,left after my apprenticeship ended and worked on new builds and various other projects for various other companies until the recession bit.
Then trained as a bus driver and worked at that until 2005 when I left to set up my own plumbing and heating firm.I had to close down in 2010 due to the banking crisis and crash in the building trade crippled business.So now I'm back driving buses for the same firm I left in 2005,but,I'm still doing plumbing and heating in my spare time which finances my hobby.
I may go back to plumbing and heating on a full time basis at some point,although at the moment there are too many 6 or 12 month supposedly trained plumbers chasing the same bits of work,so competition is fierce and people really do put pound notes before safety and quality installations.
I hate this aspect of the business but its never been more prevalent than it is now.
Pete
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

truin

Started my working life in July 1967 as a BRS mechanic having maintained and raced several vintage 'bikes (Vincent, Norton and Matchless) but a depot closure led to me taking starting a PO Telephones apprenticeship. I couldn't at that stage join the RAF but that chance came in August '68 and I went in as a 'cadet entrant'. The life consisted of being trained to do a particular job, radio changes, fuel control module testing and installation etc and then being flown with the team to an active base to deal with all their aircraft. I was still racing 'bikes as and when and that led to my short (9 months) service time when a sidecar wheel formed a splinter spares group. Went back the Post Office after 9 months repair and re-arming (not literally!) and completed my apprenticeship then my family and I moved to St.Albans due to my father's work and I went to work for STC on exchange testing in and around London. Marriage and a move to Gloucestershire saw me working for PYE Telephones in Malmesbury. Redundancies, not mine but within the group, led me to take a job as test engineer in the leisure industry. Over the years 5 redundancies have led to me working as a safety officer and special faults investigator and in various parts of the electronics industry on everything from video games machines, vehicle electronic modules, video discs, medical radiography, cable TV and military electronic defence systems. This last one is where I am currently, working in Sussex, heading for my retirement. Some extra jobs, taken to keep a roof above our heads and the kids fed and clothed (electronic testing ain't  the highest paid work!) have included bingo calling, present wrapping and petrol sales.
CME 'Oakley' Uckfield Model Railway Club

N Gauge Bob

Full time carer for severely disabled wife (Thanks NHS!!). Prior to that military electronic component Sales Manager and then owner of 3 companies.....Electronic component distribution, building company and decorating company. Spent last 16 years looking after 'er indoors, modelling N gauge and being taxi driver to grandkids!!!
Remember this:
Amateurs..............built the Ark!
Professionals........built the Titanic!

OwL

Quote from: N Gauge Bob on July 15, 2011, 07:18:10 AM
Full time carer for severely disabled wife (Thanks NHS!!). Prior to that military electronic component Sales Manager and then owner of 3 companies.....Electronic component distribution, building company and decorating company. Spent last 16 years looking after 'er indoors, modelling N gauge and being taxi driver to grandkids!!!

Just wanted to say all the best to you and your wife Bob. Kindest Regards OwL :thumbsup:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Mustermark

Since I did my PhD in Biochemistry I have spent 22 years in the pharmaceutical industry developing manufacturing processes for biopharmaceuticals - drugs like vaccines and antibodies.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

poliss

Wasn't for Abbott Laboratories was it? I did 20 years with them.  :thumbsdown: Even murderers don't get that long a sentance.  :'(

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations