Dairy/milk tanker loading building help

Started by 1936ace, January 01, 2013, 10:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1936ace

Hi all, on my layout I have planned to have a small village that has a dairy co op as its main industry and was looking at have tankers loaded there. The other location is the main country town where tankers will be loaded by road trucks as dairies are some distance away. Loco will. Pick up tankers from town and then be added to by more tanker from the co op to be transported to the city where they will be sent the cold store milk depot.

I have the cold store and milk depot buildings for the city but I'm looking for something for the village dairy building. Are there any buildings that are are suited for this.
Any ideas help appreciated
Thanks in advance Bart

Tom@Crewe

1936ace

Thanks heaps, that is a great help. I have some buildings from previous layouts that look like some of those in that article.

Cheers Bart

upnick

Hi  Bart a search   on  Google etc     ''old  villiage dairy''  brings good results   ;) a  good few with  estate   agents who   have  renovated the dairies  as they where.

Jerry Howlett

Bart, did you see the Railway Modeller in december ?. Had an article on rail served dairies.

Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Karhedron

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on January 01, 2013, 11:49:25 AM
Bart, did you see the Railway Modeller in december ?. Had an article on rail served dairies.
Hello,

I wrote the article so I will do my best to help. ;) I agree that a copy of the December issue of RM will help a lot (and I promise I am not on commission  :laugh:).

Country dairies varied hugely in size and design from the large art-deco edifices like Torridge Vale and Moreton-in-the-Marsh to small industrial buildings like Wallingford that looked like any other small industrial building. There is a picture of Wallingford here.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1016196

Moreton-in-the-Marsh can be seen here.

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrmm995.htm
http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrmm991.htm

Almost any industrial building can be used if you want as there was not really a consistent style of architecture for these buildings. Simmilarly there was no fixed size as this was related to capacity. To give you an idea, the Wallingford creamery usually dispatched one tank, twice a day while Moreton usually loaded 3 at a time. Large facilities such as Lostwithiel and St Erth existed.

You do not have to have a creamery actually represented on the layout. Major milk flows from both Penzance and Torrington were handled by tankers being filled from lorries in the goods yards of the respective stations. This would allow you to cheat and simply have a couple of CWS or Co-Op milk tankers parked in the yard.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

1936ace

We get the December issue around 20th January so I look forward to reading this. Thanks for the links and advice.
Off now to do some reading and hopefully find my buildings.
Bart

1936ace

I was hoping if I could salvage some of the buildings from my old layouts(there about 25 years old but are in good condition) to make up a dairy milk processing depot.
Would any of these be suitable.
Bart

Karhedron

The 2 storey half-relief building at the middle-back might do the job. The other buildings are either a bit on the small side or are recognisable as belonging to a different industry. It might bw worth adding a boiler room and chimney to provide power. Creameries tended to be located in rural areas and in the 1930s would have needed their power electricity.

Have a look at the creamery I have built for my Chew Magna layout. It is freelance but is based loosely on the example at Moreton-in-the-Marsh.

Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

1936ace

Thanks for the reply. The building is actually a full building and has a loading dock on the other side as well. I like what you have done. I think kestrel do a boiler room chimney would that be ok
Thanks for the help. Also more united dirty tankers arrived this week so I've got a full milk train now with a stove r
Bart

1936ace

In the train room yesterday and opened up a box to find a heap of plastic kits by faller and pola. Totally happy as one was a building with boiler house and chimney and it matches the other building I was thinking of using
A good find
Bart

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations