What is your favourite British Steam Locomotive of all time?

Started by SymonC, May 24, 2011, 08:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donkey

So many to choose from. They are all great but perhaps my top 3 would be A4, Stirling Single and Tornado.

Thanks Poliss for that great video of Stephenson loco in N. Would love one of those!

Donkey

Jerry Howlett

The ultimate (sorry Tornado) was the 9F. I had a play on Evening Star when I was worker at Didcot back in the distant past. Pull on the regulator and you could feel the power, alas they only had 1/4 mile of running road in those days so it was a short lived dream.
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

longbridge

Travelled around home a lot when I was a kid so I saw locos from the Big 4 in mail line action

Southern favorite was any of the Spam Cans.

LNER has to be the A4, saw Dominion of Canada cracking over 90mph.

Best GWR without a doubt Th Kings, was pulled by King James II from Snow Hill to London.

My home region is very difficult but I loved the Jubilees and Coronation Class locos that I used to spot on the Trent Valley line but my favorite was the original Fowler Patriot Class which I thought typified everything great about British Steam, regulars on our local line with the Jubilees.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

GWR-Kris

My favorite is the LNER Mallard in Blue with Red Wheels. close runner in 2nd is the Silver Link. These are my childhood favorites and have not really changed much in all these years.

Bealman

I have been perusing the replies and must admit that I love 'em all. But even though I have actually ridden on the footplate of A4 Sir Nigel, I must admit to having a total love of Class 55 Deltics, especially two-tone green. I don't recall which loco took me through the night of Aug 22 1974 from Durham to Kings Cross on my way to a life in Australia, but I'm betting it was a blue 55 class! They rule! Can't wait to get me hands on the Farish blue one. 
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

GWR-Kris

Newportnobby

Quote from: bealman on December 19, 2011, 11:54:40 AM
I have been perusing the replies and must admit that I love 'em all. But even though I have actually ridden on the footplate of A4 Sir Nigel, I must admit to having a total love of Class 55 Deltics, especially two-tone green. I don't recall which loco took me through the night of Aug 22 1974 from Durham to Kings Cross on my way to a life in Australia, but I'm betting it was a blue 55 class! They rule! Can't wait to get me hands on the Farish blue one.

Aaaargh! This thread is being hijacked by things with no coal in 'em :evil:

Have you bought the winning ticket number 2 'cos 55 008 in blue is the prize? You gotta be in it to win it :wave:

Oldman

Quote from: newportnobby on December 19, 2011, 05:58:35 PM

I agree scandalous isn't it. Mind you a  Union Pacific 4-8-8-4 Big Boy would be nice :evil:
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

4x2

Quote from: Oldman on December 19, 2011, 07:51:41 PM

I agree scandalous isn't it. Mind you a  Union Pacific 4-8-8-4 Big Boy would be nice :evil:
How about a DB class 89 0-6-0 ?  :evil: :smiley-laughing:
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Oldman

Quote from: 4x2 on December 19, 2011, 08:03:47 PM
Quote from: Oldman on December 19, 2011, 07:51:41 PM

How about a DB class 89 0-6-0 ?  :evil: :smiley-laughing:
Seriously the North Wales Quarry steam loco's are serious little loco's
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

4x2

What is it about those great little loco's ? If you could bottle it, you'd make a fortune !  ;D
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Jess

Honestly? I have no idea because I just love the look of them all...! I must say, there's something about the 0-6-0 pannier tanks that are really cute. And any train that has green livery gets my attention (green's my fave colour) hence why I own a Flying Scotsman (BR A3 class, 60103) and the B1 LNER 4-6-0 'Springbok'.

MinZaPint

Cogito Sumere potum alterum

EtchedPixels

They always look like someone sawed the middle out and glued them back together - which I guess is pretty much how they really came to be after the Nelsons I suppose
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

4x2

Quote from: EtchedPixels on December 28, 2011, 11:04:01 PM
They always look like someone sawed the middle out and glued them back together - which I guess is pretty much how they really came to be after the Nelsons I suppose
Still, It's a very pretty steamer and I would love a N gauge one. Am I right in thinking that they were the most powerfull 4-4-0's in the world ?

Mike

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations