NGF Photographic Competition 2015

Started by Newportnobby, March 09, 2015, 10:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham Walters

Congratualtions to all the winners and those that got commendations, when viewed together it really is difficult to know exactly which are real and which are models, which is a credit to all the pics.

We have some really good modellers and photographers on this site, you all deserve a round of applause.
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Closed Public and Bank Holidays

Mr PJ

The picture of the 47 nearly fooled me for a minute. I though we were still on "real railways" and had to look again :D

Cheers
Paul

Agrippa

Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Chris

Well I'm privileged to get a highly commended! The comments are much appreciated too. Great to take part again & look forward to next year's!

c6250

It is my first attempt in any kind of photographic competition, and I am humbled by all the entries. It's been a great opportunities to learn from all of you.

By the way, since the competition is over, may i invite everyone  to comment on my entries, so I may excel on my techniques?

Newportnobby

My thoughts:-

The HST heading into a setting sun is very, very good and, if anything, is only let down by the model itself although this could be down to the unusual (but excellent) camera angle. I'd like to know how you created the lighting effect.

The night time troop movement is, by its very setting, probably too dark for a photo to do it justice despite you catching the atmosphere of such a situation. Trouble is, anything lighter and judging would probably deem it not prototypical.

Thanks for taking part, though :thumbsup:

d-a-n

Quote from: c6250 on December 25, 2015, 04:16:39 PM
It is my first attempt in any kind of photographic competition, and I am humbled by all the entries. It's been a great opportunities to learn from all of you.

By the way, since the competition is over, may i invite everyone  to comment on my entries, so I may excel on my techniques?

The Intercity photo is well lit but is too tightly cropped and needs to be 'moving into space' to give a better impression of movement. Technically, it is a bit out of focus and too noisy - tripod the camera and go for a lower ISO, narrower aperture and longer exposure.
The figure on the bench photo is an interesting composition. It's crop is ok but I feel it needs a bit more 'railway' around it to tell the story, maybe a station sign or a bit more of the wagon. From a technical point of view, a bit of off camera flash to raise some of the details of the wagon would give less dead space.
Nothing that can't be worked on mate  :)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations