Lima N Gauge Resource

Started by dannyboy, November 27, 2017, 11:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

Is there such a thing as a website that gives details for Lima rolling stock, as per the excellent 'N Gauge Resource', which lists Bachmann, Dapol, Farish and Revolution?  ???. I have had a look on t'internet thingy but can not seem to find what I am looking for. One of the reasons I ask is that I have just acquired a Lima Class 55 'Fife & Forfar Yeomanry', which seems to be the same as this example -
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/N-Gauge-BR-9006-Diesel-Loco-The-Fife-Forfar-Yeomanry-Pre-owned/382293001502?hash=item590270451e:g:y5oAAOSwvD5aF8Qq
:thankyousign:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Bob G

I think the term Lima N Gauge Resource is an oxymoron  ;D

There is a good listing of Lima N (and HO and OO) in Ramsay's British Model Trains compiled by Pat Hammond (Vol 2 H-Z).

Anthony Carder's British N gauge resource in its early forms used to have some Lima listed.

They only did two Deltics - F&FY in blue and Meld in green. they were first made in 1978. Production stopped in 1985.
The only decent (close to scale) Lima products were the GWR Horsebox, the Siphon G, and the CCT.

HTH
Bob

carderrail

Its on my next work list behind finishing the Farish section.... SO much new stuff from new companies is keeping me busy!

There is a lot of updates just waiting a few photos.

Bob beat me to it.. only two types produced and wierdly out of scale (run Lima Mk1s with the Detlic!). Lima only produced a small number of BR Locos - the 31 and the Deltic plus the Class 81/6/something.. An 0-4-0 shunter and a Bo-Bo which was supposed to be a 17 but was from a German loco (I think). There were long plans for a Western.. it appeared in the catalogue but was actually an 00 gauge version with large N Gauge type couplings.

Tony

railsquid

There's this site: http://lima-n-scale-locomotives.webnode.cz/

though beyond photos it doesn't have much detail.

Bealman

I think the op's post is fair enough.... to me the Lima N gauge offerings have always been a bit like antique furniture.

They have their own sort of charm and are certainly part of British N Gauge history.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

carderrail

The RENFE Class 31 always got my attention, only ever seen one in the flesh - wish I had bought it!

Tony

Quote from: railsquid on November 28, 2017, 06:33:27 AM
There's this site: http://lima-n-scale-locomotives.webnode.cz/

though beyond photos it doesn't have much detail.

railsquid

Quote from: carderrail on November 28, 2017, 06:52:20 AM
The RENFE Class 31 always got my attention, only ever seen one in the flesh - wish I had bought it!

Tony

I saw one here in Tokyo, but it was way overpriced (for some reason there's a large amount of Lima "British" outline N gauge floating about here).

What I'm really after is one of those mythical beasties with a centre-mounted can motor.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: railsquid on November 28, 2017, 07:42:38 AM
What I'm really after is one of those mythical beasties with a centre-mounted can motor.
What - in a 31?  Yes I'd be interested in seeing that too, someone on here (or possibly on Facebook) has mentioned one, though it was still only driven on one bogie.   My Lima Minitrain 1991 catalogue advertised the 31 with can and drive to both bogies, but that may be totally mythical?

I now have an 86 with a can.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

railsquid

Quote from: ntpntpntp on November 28, 2017, 09:40:31 AM
Quote from: railsquid on November 28, 2017, 07:42:38 AM
What - in a 31?  Yes I'd be interested in seeing that too, someone on here (or possibly on Facebook) has mentioned one, though it was still only driven on one bogie.   My Lima Minitrain 1991 catalogue advertised the 31 with can and drive to both bogies, but that may be totally mythical?
Pretty sure I've seen reference to a can-motored 31 on Facebook.

Going OT now, I wonder why Lima was so wedded to those "pancake" motors, even GDR-era Piko managed a central can motor driving both bogies (albeit with a very primitive mechanism).

ntpntpntp

Quote from: railsquid on November 28, 2017, 10:00:01 AM

Going OT now, I wonder why Lima was so wedded to those "pancake" motors...

I suppose simple to make a standard motor bogie based on a known design from a larger scale - let's face it Hornby did Ringfield motors in the 70s, and similar motor designs were to be found in Fleischmann HO and others of the period including Lima HO of course!   

As a motor bogie it's actually quite a compact self-contained design and can run quite slow.   Unfortunately it was made rather cheaply, wasn't so practical for locos with low hoods (eg. the Deltic!)  and was pretty much devoid of pickups so not helpful in a bogie loco. Of course some variants of the pancake motor chassis had to include pickups on the driven wheels, eg. the steam locos and things like the centre-cab diesel.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

dannyboy

Quote from: carderrail on November 28, 2017, 06:23:55 AM
Its on my next work list behind finishing the Farish section....

Many thanks for that Tony, I and I am sure, others will appreciate it. :-*

There is a good listing of Lima N (and HO and OO) in Ramsay's British Model Trains compiled by Pat Hammond (Vol 2 H-Z).

Thanks for the info' Bob  :thumbsup:

@carderrail @Bob G 
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations