what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

At least you can run em!  Mojo slows up when you can't.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

AndyRA

If it looks difficult it probably is, but might as well get on with it anyway!

Layout :- West Coast (Southern Section)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=2531;u=5731

Full story and pics at:-
https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastSouthernSection/

Farmer chap

Not strictly working on the layout  but I have purchased the Model Train Catalogue and am currently entering all my

loco's and rolling stock onto the database, sounds boring but actually its quite addictive and rather time consuming.

I suppose this will be useful if I ever have to make an insurance claim.

Ian.

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: Hailstone on February 26, 2018, 12:26:53 AM
Having lost my modelling mojo a little whilst grinding away (literally) at my County, I decided to have a break and run some trains on my main layout

I am enjoying myself so much, that it may be a while before the County gets any more attention!

Regards,

Alex

Looks so much better when covered in trains.   :D :D :D
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Busybee

Just back from Sheffield, next get Dragonby ready for York Easter weekend, stand 75.

MarshLane

Not really working on the layout, but busy designing a few electronic modules to create a 1970s-style powerbox control panel for the new layout, complete with fully operational four-character indicator displays!  I enjoy electronics .. not particularly good at it and make many mistakes ... but I do enjoy it!

Bob Tidbury

NW2017 If you.love designing modules how about an N gauge speed detector to show us what scale speed we are running our trains at ,something that you can put by the side of the track in a building or in a hedge to disguise it.
I am no good at Mathematics so timing things and working it out like that is a  no go for me.
Bob Tidbury

dannyboy

David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

MarshLane

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on April 12, 2018, 07:57:49 PM
NW2017 If you.love designing modules how about an N gauge speed detector to show us what scale speed we are running our trains at ,something that you can put by the side of the track in a building or in a hedge to disguise it.
I am no good at Mathematics so timing things and working it out like that is a  no go for me.
Bob Tidbury

Hi Bob,
That shouldn't be too difficult, probably a couple of infra-red detectors installed on the track at a known distance, then measure the seconds from the first to the last triggering. Speed = in millimetres (or inches) / number of seconds, gives a speed which then then scaled up by 1:148th to get the real speed ... I think!

The electronics behind it are quite simple, should be relatively easy to run through an Ardunio or Pi board, with a couple of sensors plugged in, and a digital screen for the read out.

Rich

dannyboy

C'mon Rich - it is half an hour since you last posted, where are the instructions?  :) Seriously, I would not mind buying something like this if someone were to make one, a quick search on t'internet has shown nothing, (might have a more serious search at the weekend whilst I am 'working'  ;)).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

MarshLane

Quote from: dannyboy on April 12, 2018, 10:19:04 PM
C'mon Rich - it is half an hour since you last posted, where are the instructions?  :) Seriously, I would not mind buying something like this if someone were to make one, a quick search on t'internet has shown nothing, (might have a more serious search at the weekend whilst I am 'working'  ;)).

Haha! Well that sounds like a challenge!  Now free time, take of modelling time, track laying ... erm I've about 35 minutes free 3rd week in August ..... 2022!! :)

Seriously, I'll have a play.  The equipment side is simple a couple of infra-red detectors, small Ardunio board, an output display and some wires.  The code again isn't difficult.    Start timer when first IR triggers, end when second trigger, do calculation, output the speed, reset timers, loop and wait for the next trigger.  So it really shouldn't take too much putting together.  Dave at Megapoints has shown these small IR detectors that can be acquired off eBay for a couple of quid, they work ideal, so the costs wouldn't be much.  Give me a couple of weeks and I'll see what I can come up with! :)

Feel free to give me a prod incase work and family life takes over and I forget!

Rich

Bealman

Don't get the polarity wrong like some goose did on the forum's electronics board yesterday  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

jpendle

I'm trying to get a continous run built before my Pendolinos arrive.

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on April 12, 2018, 07:57:49 PM

Bob Tidbury

@Bob Tidbury

The bits you need are really quite simple, Bob.
If you need distance (D) then it's speed (S) x time (T) e.g. 60mph x 1 hour = 60 miles
If you need speed (S) then it's distance (D) divided by time (T) e.g. 120 miles in 2 hours = 60mph
If you need time (T) then it's distance (D) divided by speed (S) e.g. 120 miles at 60mph = 2 hours

Just bear in mind you are measuring 148th scale

Caz

Finally got around to finishing off the Ratio Coaling stage for the Claywell shed only trouble is I've taken so long I seem to have lost the ladder.   :doh:

May have over weathered it a tad but pleased with the flowing coal.   :)

Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82%