Farewell to N Guge

Started by Biggy, January 10, 2017, 06:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggy

This is a post just to say thanks for all the help and support I have received this truly is the friendly forum.
However after four years of basically battling with n gauge modelling I am going to change up a scale.
I just do have the skills to work at this scale the final straw was today as I tried to fit a decoder to my new Dapol Manor. As usual when working on these locos as soon as you try to do anything the drive shaft falls out so there's an hour or so of frustration trying to get that back later. Then when I come to push the decoder in it's a bit stiff and lo and behold the whole socket comes off in my hand. So that's another non working Loco
That's 4 out of seven.
That's on top of poor running problems with point work etc.I can't afford to spend £30-50 on repairs and servicing every time I try to do anything.
I'm not saying that this is the same for everyone or even that it is the fault of the scale it's just that I don't have a lot of time to model and so far after four years I don't have a working layout and I have spent about £500 on steam engines non of which have really been satisfactory. Even my Union Mills loco doesn't run well since I had her chipped.
So two questions is the forum shop a good place to sell my stuff or am I better off using that well known auction site?
Secondly is it worth repairing the 3 Locos still in my possession that don't work or selling them as "projects"?
I would be very interested in your thoughts. One last time
Thanks again
Not sure its supposed to do that

painbrook

It's all about what gives you pleasure. Sorry can't answer your questions. Happy modelling. john.

Invicta Alec

Biggy,

I respect what you've written and good luck with your change of direction.

If N gauge has started to become a chore rather than fun, then its time to move on.

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

robert shrives

Hi sent you a pm re manor.
Robert

Nick

Sorry to hear you're giving up, but you are doing this for fun, after all. If it hurts, stop.

(I get no pleasure dealing with and chipping locos myself, BTW. Even modern stuff. It is far more difficult than it should be. Poor instructions, something always seems to break, mounting clips, detail, etc., etc. It isn't acceptable when the (expensive) locos are sold "DCC Ready", i.e. for the user to chip themselves.)

Best of luck. I can't help you with the queries, either. Sorry.
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Newportnobby

Sorry to read your news, Biggy, but I respect and understand your decision.
Very best wishes in your new gauge.

Big bad John

All the best to you in the bigger scale. If it was me I'd try selling it on here first before going to Ebay.

Webbo

Yes, no sense in hitting your head against a brick wall unless it feels good. Sorry to hear that you have arrived at this decision, but good luck with the next scale up. I too don't like Dapol cardan drives based on my experience with one of them.

As far as your questions are concerned, I can't comment on the first as I've never tried to sell anything on the NGF site. Bear in mind that Ebay will take about 20% of your selling price by the time you pay the EBay and PayPal fee on the purchase as well as postage. For the second question, you need to ask yourself will I be further ahead by spending whatever it takes to fix the locos and selling running locos or getting a fair bit less by selling non-runners? I would not be surprised if the two strategies result in similar financial outcomes (remember also that EBay will take more from you if you sell running locos). Then there is hassle of having to have the non-runners fixed to consider.

A strategy you could try is to list your non-runners on EBay at a set price. If they don't sell at this price, you could then try repairing them and selling them at a higher price that includes the repair cost. Although there is no guarantee that they will sell at this price either.

Good luck and happy modelling of bigger things
Webbo

Bealman

As folk have already said, it's supposed to be fun. Best of luck with your chosen new scale!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

bluedepot

best of luck in new scale mate

as an aside I read a review for an american loco where the decoder goes in from under the loco - you pull the battery box off and it goes in there. seems like a better arrangement. obviously not a steam loco though.

Tim

Bob G

Quote from: Biggy on January 10, 2017, 06:41:11 PM

Secondly is it worth repairing the 3 Locos still in my possession that don't work or selling them as "projects"?
I would be very interested in your thoughts.

Sell them on EBay as projects - Non-runners sold as seen. No returns. You will be amazed how many folk there are out there that will bid on something that requires work - they think they are getting a bargain, and you won't have wasted your time and money trying to fix it.
Both parties win.

HTH
Bob

Snowwolflair

What are they?  and what state?

Nick

Quote from: bluedepot on January 11, 2017, 09:12:23 AM
as an aside I read a review for an american loco where the decoder goes in from under the loco - you pull the battery box off and it goes in there. seems like a better arrangement. obviously not a steam loco though.

That would be nice. Of course, the ideal would be to just slide a decoder card in like you do a SIM or memory card into a phone. Dreams...   8)

If I'm trying to chip a loco that wasn't designed to be chipped, well fine. On my own head be it. But we shouldn't have to puzzle the construction and assembly out, then struggle with hidden clips or trapped wires so as to end up breaking things when carrying out what is supposed to be an end-user task. And a selling point for the loco, for Pete's sake!

It's just poor design.  :veryangry:
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Biggy

QuoteWhat are they?  and what state?

They  are both Dapol Manors. But at the moment I have an offer of help with one and a possible cheap repair for the other so that may be resolved. 

To be honest I am feeling a bit sheepish now after some sensible words from SWMBO and the positive responses from members on this forum I am thinking L need to dust myself off and carry on
To be honest there are two reasons why I will probably stick with n
1) after trying some designs out on any rail I am struggling to plan a on layout in the space I have that I would want to run
2) I honestly think I would enjoy the hobby less if I wasn't involved in with this forum   :NGF:
So sorry for being a drama queen yesterday  :-[ Onwards and upwards
Not sure its supposed to do that

Drakken

Sometimes you've got to just vent and get it off your chest, That's what we are here for listen and help  :beers:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations