class 73s to be re-engined

Started by bluedepot, June 29, 2011, 07:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluedepot

i just read that the class 73s are to be re-engined with more powerful diesel engines.... hopefully that means they will carry on in use on the mainline for a while longer....

i also read that nxea may get bombardier traxx electro-diesels.... i think that's a bit boring really as you see a lot of these traxx family of locos in europe already and i'd prefer to see the 90s (or better still get the 86s or 87s back...)

tim

EtchedPixels

Quote from: bluedepot on June 29, 2011, 07:22:18 PM
i just read that the class 73s are to be re-engined with more powerful diesel engines.... hopefully that means they will carry on in use on the mainline for a while longer....

Something like that has to happen - the class 37s are quite literally running out of engine hours, and there are still plenty of routes that the 66/67's cannot operate due to their high loadings.

Just hope it works better than the FGW 57's 8)

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

tadpole

Great idea, should've done it years ago... in fact they should've been built with at least 1000hp engines in the first place . There must be plenty of space in that bodyshell - if you can fit a 1000hp into a class 20, it could certainly fit into a 73, and modern engines are much smaller.

A bit late in the day now, but what would it take to fit third rail pickups to the class 33s? With a chunky 1550hp engine, I guess there's not alot of space for any extra gubbins in that body.

Two rails good. Three better.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations