Something odd!

Started by Jerry Howlett, August 10, 2018, 03:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Howlett

This was delivered to a friend in the UK who brought it over to me here in Italy.

Now I have been away for 13 years but still something on the package wasn't "quite right".

Ordered from York Model Making, last month.

Answers on a postcard.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

dannyboy

Looks like somebody is getting shut of an old stamp collection!  But if it was sent from York to an address in the UK it would not need more than the '1st' anyway.  ???

Addit: Unless it was a packet of course.  :-[ And are then any more 8½p stamps for the postcard?
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Zogbert Splod

No post mark either, interesting. I suppose it would have been rejected by an automatic sorting machine when it tried to check the stamps.
Yes, interesting!  I could go out and buy a load of stamps marked '1st class' and wait till the charges go up a few times then sell them at a reduced price, somewhere between the then current price and what i had paid. 
Let me see, adjusting for inflation, no - wait...
As you were, I think I'll go back to planning my treacle bending business.
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Jerry Howlett

If there any Philatelists out there who want them, I will happily post them on next month when I visit.  I already have some "pre paid" 2nd class stamps" so free to a good / or bad home.

Jerry

BobB

Hey Zogbert, do you have an interest in Tadley's treacle mines ? I used to live there. Whenever I was to visit them I had a girlfriend in tow and we never quite managed to find our way off of Tadley's common (which was also claimed by Silchester.)

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: BobB on August 10, 2018, 05:53:57 PM
Hey Zogbert, do you have an interest in Tadley's treacle mines ? I used to live there. Whenever I was to visit them I had a girlfriend in tow and we never quite managed to find our way off of Tadley's common (which was also claimed by Silchester.)

I have a 1st Day Cover from the opening of Tadley's Treacle Mine museum if your interested.  Comes with three Jars of Pure, Less pure and full of rocks Treacle.

Malc

The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Jerry Howlett

:no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:   MAD Stark raving looney tunes mad.   All of us !

Newportnobby

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on August 10, 2018, 04:06:29 PM
If there any Philatelists out there who want them, I will happily post them on next month when I visit.  I already have some "pre paid" 2nd class stamps" so free to a good / or bad home.

Jerry

My Mum's a Pilatesist. I'll ask her tomorrow

BobB

The British Food History admits that treacle mines became secret places to protect them and the local inhabitants. The establishment of RAF squadron 304 next to Tadley during the war years was possibly thought as necessary but its metamorphosis into an american base and later what the locals called "the bomb shop"  was "OTT" in my opinion. (The bomb shop became known as Aldermaston when people started walking to and from Trafalger square - they should have built a railway.) After some of the early animal activists tried to set free the specially imported haggis used for gathering the treacle in the difficult to reach places, all reference to the mines was removed - even the Tadley and District History society was prevented from mentioning the mines in their published history.  Just out of interest, the Haggis's refused to budge; probably addicted to the treacle.

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: BobB on August 11, 2018, 01:09:41 PM
  Just out of interest, the Haggis's refused to budge; probably addicted to the treacle.

Or were they just stuck there.... :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :dighole:

dannyboy

Are the Mods going to make this a 'Sticky Topic'!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Zogbert Splod

Quote from: BobB on August 10, 2018, 05:53:57 PM
No Bob, we only use the treacle from our own well.  We did try the mined treacle but, due to the short-leg/long-leg situation with the hagii, we were unable to guarantee production.  Half of them, the rotundi-revolvulum-solstice ones, spent most of the time running round in clockwise circles.  So no, I wasn't there - it must have been two other people since you were not there either!  Now, where's my cowboy hat?

ps: not sure yet what I think of that post that questions the sanity of posters in this thread...
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

BobB

Hi Zogbert. Don't worry about their sanity. They probably still believe the haggis is just for eating. I blame that bloke Burns. Why he allowed some of his poetry to be understandable is a great mystery, and now we have to remember him every January. Time to start another conspiracy perhaps ?

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations