Can I opt out of mobile view?

Started by Mustermark, June 29, 2017, 01:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaian

This is funny as I have the opposite problem, when I open the website I have the mobile view. As soon as I select a link it changes to desktop. I can't get it to stay on mobile view.
Craig

RichardBattersby

My mobile view has suddenly changed red from blue, or has it been like that for ages?
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

RichardBattersby

Ha, oops, sorry. I always use desktop mode  :-[
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

Malc

I don't know what you did yesterday Paul, but suddenly my iPad has started defaulting to mobile view. @Only Me
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Malc

Did all the usual clearing out, but it still appears to default to mobile view. Ah well, I've been lucky so far, I mustn't complain.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Zogbert Splod

Quote from: Malc on July 06, 2017, 11:04:45 AM
I don't know what you did yesterday Paul, but suddenly my iPad has started defaulting to mobile view. @Only Me
My Android tablet did the same.  It had been doing that then it 'healed up' then, yesterday. went back to mobile view.  I'm just letting you know, not complaining, it's not a big problem now that the 'Desk View' button is at the top of the page.

Regards, Allan.....
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

terrysoham

I noticed as of this morning that my iPad now starts this forum in mobile view.   Someone must have altered something somewhere - as they say.
Terry Metcalfe
Ely and District Model Railway Club
Owner of High Lodge logging railway (009) and in the process of building a new layout based on Soham in 1944

terrysoham

I have been trying to find the answer to this matter by searching Google.
I am afraid that the answers found there point to something that has been done on this website - so over to you Mr Site Administrator.
Terry Metcalfe
Ely and District Model Railway Club
Owner of High Lodge logging railway (009) and in the process of building a new layout based on Soham in 1944

Tank

You should just need to click 'Desktop View', and it will switch over.

PLD

Quote from: terrysoham on July 10, 2017, 07:13:49 AM
I am afraid that the answers found there point to something that has been done on this website
Not necessarily the website itself...

Mobile browsers have a function to switch to the Mobile view (if one is available) if they detect that a website is slow to load. This could be because the server hosting the site is slow to serve the page or it could be your internet connection of wireless connection.

Most Browsers have an option to override this behaviour on a site by site basis (it's a simple one-click tick-box in Firefox and Chrome). Assuming your using the default browser on your i-pad [note the vast majority of complaints about this relate to i-pads] Apple being Apple know better than you what view you want, and make it much more difficult...

The solution is a more user-customisable browser.

Bealman

Quote from: Tank on July 10, 2017, 07:36:18 AM
You should just need to click 'Desktop View', and it will switch over.

That's all I do, no dramas.

Mind you, I'm not using an Apple device.

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

njee20

Quote from: PLD on July 10, 2017, 07:54:52 AM
Most Browsers have an option to override this behaviour on a site by site basis (it's a simple one-click tick-box in Firefox and Chrome). Assuming your using the default browser on your i-pad [note the vast majority of complaints about this relate to i-pads] Apple being Apple know better than you what view you want, and make it much more difficult...

Hold refresh button. Select "request desktop site". Easier than in Chrome or Firefox...

I usually get the forum overview in mobile view, but it returns to desktop view when I actually click into a thread. 

Zogbert Splod

Quote from: njee20 on July 10, 2017, 08:22:00 AM
Quote from: PLD on July 10, 2017, 07:54:52 AM
...I usually get the forum overview in mobile view, but it returns to desktop view when I actually click into a thread.
That's what my Android/Chrome setup is doing too now.  I have the 'Request Desktop View' selector ticked but it always starts in mobile view.  But a single click, either into a thread or on the 'Desktop View' button puts it how I want it - simple, and no great effort.  It appears that the browser doesn't pay attention to the view requested on initial load up.  It doesn't happen with any other site or any other forum, but I'll go with it, no big deal.  One extra click at the worst.  If it 'heals up', fine, if not, well, that's fine too...  I think we get a great deal for what we pay for this site... For me, one extra click is very acceptable.
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations