Can I opt out of mobile view?

Started by Mustermark, June 29, 2017, 01:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustermark

Just recently the forum has been continually defaulting to the mobile mode on my iPad. :no: It didn't used to. Is there any way I can opt out of this :hmmm:

because I don't like using it, it lacks a lot of functionality, and I think the red colour scheme is seriously bad for my eyes. :D

Please, please, please help. It's driving me nuts every time it does it.
:helpneededsign:

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Zogbert Splod

Me too, I've done all the usual things, cleared the cache, ticked the 'request desktop view' box, and even removed and reinstalled the browser.  Still defaults to 'mobile'.  Mines not an iPad, it's an Android tablet but the same problem insists on returning.
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

njee20

I find refreshing takes you back to the desktop view, but I agree, it snaps back to mobile much more frequently since the upgrade.

railsquid

I use Firefox on Android for most of my mobile browsing (IIRC with all options to prefer desktop version set to the max), and it is very good at defaulting to the desktop version of the NGF.

Tank

Yeah, 'Only Me' broke it and has gone quiet....    :uneasy:       :smiley-laughing:  @Only Me

I think he's been quite busy since trying to get the new version to work, but I'll catch up with him and see what's happening.

Malc

I use an iPad and don't have this issue. I think it is to do with wether you use Private viewing or not. That doesn't store settings the same way as public viewing.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Bealman

No issues on my Samsung Tab either.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

davidinyork

It's probably to do with how the browser reports itself to the web server - where there's a separate mobile version of the site, if the server sees that it's a mobile browser it will usually serve up the remote site. However, most mobile browsers have an option to report themselves as the desktop version, so you get the desktop site.

e.g. for Apple devices:
https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/request-desktop-sites-ios-9s-safari-for-ipad-iphone-0163057/

port perran

Another ipad user with no issues although it does happen internittently on my iphone
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

daffy

So now I know why I have had this issue on my iPad for a few weeks!  Usually, but not always, the Forum opens in mobile red view, with a refresh taking me to normal view.

Also note that when I enter the site via an email notification it no longer opens the thread at the post in question, as it used to do, but at some apparently random point a few posts or so above.

Like others I have done all the usual cache, history and OS updates, and thereafter log in 'forever', but the issue remains variable.

I'm not bothered particularly as it only takes a refresh to get back to 'normal' view, hence why I've not mentioned it before, but it would be nice to go back to the future. ;)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Steven B

Quote from: Only Me on June 29, 2017, 08:44:19 AM
you can always click the button at the bottom of the page to take you back to desktop view..  also set login to "forever" when you enter your username and password. I'm not sure you can tell it to just use desktop on a mobile device

Can the desktop view button be moved to the top of the mobile site's front page?

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

daffy

Quote from: Only Me on June 29, 2017, 09:13:04 AM
If you pay peanuts you get monkeys   :'(
  If anyone fancies bankrolling me for £300 a day for a week then I'm game...if not then it is what it is :D

If I could I would. :)

Fear not, as now I know why, I'm happy to do the refresh thing whenever it's needed. :thumbsup:

And I don't see you as a monkey. :no:

:beers:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Yet_Another

Nicely done, thank you. I have just taken advantage of it  :thankyousign:
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Zogbert Splod

Thanks for that. I don't know all the internal cogs and levers of the forum but whatever you did has fixed my problem completely. The forum now opens at the front page and on desktop mode on my tablet like it used to... Big thanx.....
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Tank

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations