What do I want for Christmas?

Started by PeteW, November 17, 2017, 03:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeteW

Forum help required! This is my first Christmas as a railway modeller and the family seems to think all their problems are solved - I must have a wish list as long as my arm, right?

Um, not quite. I do have a wish list but the locomotives I want for my layout generally aren't available RTR (typically LNER J-class). There's a few wagons, a couple of vans, but I already have more track and coaches than I ever expected to need.

What am I overlooking? I'm sure there's a ton of books I'd like, but I don't yet know what I'd like. Any recommendations for books on scenic modelling, or scratchbuilding wagons, buildings and bridges?

What's on your list?

Newportnobby

I've trained all my rellies to get me Rails of Sheffield vouchers for birthdays and Christmas as (a) they are my 'go-to' box shifter and (b) I can snaffle the odd bargain when they come up. I tend to have one or two items on pre order and the vouchers help with them as well.
I believe their vouchers are valid for a year.

No more "What do you want for your birthday/Christmas?" :D

Lawrence

daffy

Don't know anyone flush enough to buy me a pressie with a price of €179.90 (about £160.00) so this little baby will not be in the stocking at the end of my bed come the 25th and thus will remain on a Wishlist until Camelot favour my investment: :( - or I get reckless. ::)

https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/produkt/Pi%2ER%2EA%2ET%2EA%2E/173-2-004001-291683-0-0-0-5-11-2-0-gatt-gb-p-0/ein_produkt.html

Have a few books on the list, and lots of small items that no-one is asking me about, so I guess I'll make do with the usual socks and chocolates and assorted surprises. :)

For me and my good lady Christmas is mostly about giving these days, with lots of grandchildren to spoil, and the look on their faces over the holiday is all the gift I need.

But then someone has been sending lots of N Gauge pressies all year, mostly from a guy I saw in the mirror the other day ;)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bob Tidbury

Like Newportnobby I have also trained my family but instead of vouchers they give Val some money and she then asks me what I want,this year I have got two Union Mills Collett Goods and I hope the Poppylino that they ordered three years ago will be here as well ,and for my birthday in March I will be getting the Black Collett Goods .
This is much better than them wasting their money on even more socks and handkerchiefs,so every ones a winnera as  there is no way Val and me could afford them on our money alone.
Bob Tidbury

ten0G

A pair of UM BR Collett Goods and a Dukedog would make a good start to a very long list, but at present I've nowhere to run them!  :'(

javlinfaw7

I tend to get treasury train vouchers that I trade for rolling stock at Model Rail Scotland in February

Intercity

I would ask my wife for a DCC system, an airbrush set up and/or tools to build the layout (baseboards, electric stuff, scenery) but she will just get it wrong and end up telling me to buy it whenever I want it (that's means it's always Christmas here  :D )

marco neri

Me too
Pendolino that i did order 3 years ago..
:NGF:

Marco
...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

RailGooner

I paid for my Pendolino myself. So I'm a little concerned that if it arrives too close to Xmas, I might neglect my presents in favour of it. :worried:

NeMo

Quote from: PeteW on November 17, 2017, 03:53:11 PM
What am I overlooking? I'm sure there's a ton of books I'd like, but I don't yet know what I'd like. Any recommendations for books on scenic modelling, or scratchbuilding wagons, buildings and bridges?

I've found the problem with books is that I can get a lot of the information for free via this forum or others like it. Of course if you don't have a subscription to the N Gauge Society, that should be on your wish-list!

The books I have found increasingly interesting are the ones about the people who built or worked the railways rather than locos or modelling. For example 'Giants of Steam' is a brilliant book that includes plenty about Gresley and Stanier as well as steam engineers from around the world. It's about how they pushed the technology to its limits during the 30s and 40s, and for British modellers it's useful to learn something about the likes of Andre Chapelon who were extraordinarily gifted and influential engineers. We tend to be a bit insular here, so miss out on some great stories (and locos!). 'The Duchesses' by Andrew Roden is a cracking read, surprisingly exciting, covering the background and development of the class and on to their deployment and eventual withdrawal. Honestly, it will probably have you gripped right to the last page, and makes a nice change from books that are mostly photos with a few stats chucked about.

There are some books written about the drivers too, and these can be fascinating. 'From Castles to Warships' for example is easily obtained secondhand, and gives a really good insight into the transition-era from the perspective of a driver getting to grips with diesels while clearly holding his steam loco charges in high regard. 'Forward: Revolution in the lives of footplatemen' is another really good read, this time from the steam era well into the 1990s, and is a historical review of the loco drivers and crews, and definitely not sentimental! It's a warts-and-all take on things, often quite scathing about government and public perception.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

PeteW

Quote from: NeMo on November 18, 2017, 10:46:35 AM
The books I have found increasingly interesting are...

NeMo, thanks for those suggestions. Duly added to the list. I take your point about information online, but I spend far too much time at the computer and like to stretch out on the sofa with a good book.

Still open to other suggestions, if anyone has any. :beers:

Newportnobby

Quote from: PeteW on November 18, 2017, 02:06:59 PM

Still open to other suggestions, if anyone has any.

Treat yourself to one or more good DVDs based on what you like and then stretch out on the sofa and watch your favourite trains. These are the folks I use and they have a vast selection to choose from....
http://www.videoscene.co.uk

PeteW

Quote from: newportnobby on November 18, 2017, 05:20:47 PM
Treat yourself to one or more good DVDs based on what you like

Thanks for that, Mick. Bit of a goldmine... several titles now on the list!

Jimbo

Quote from: newportnobby on November 17, 2017, 04:12:50 PM
I've trained all my rellies to get me Rails of Sheffield vouchers for birthdays and Christmas as (a) they are my 'go-to' box shifter and (b) I can snaffle the odd bargain when they come up. I tend to have one or two items on pre order and the vouchers help with them as well.
I believe their vouchers are valid for a year.

No more "What do you want for your birthday/Christmas?" :D

Great idea! Thank you Mick!  :thumbsup:, rellies informed!! (mine not yours!) lol!
'Keep it country!'

'Head in the clouds, feet in the mud!'

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations