!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Beattie Road, 70's to 90's Attic scenic layout  (Read 3841 times)

Offline mattycoops43

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: New layout, design advice needed.
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 08:20:10 pm »
You would normally expect sidings to have a head shunt, not only for shunting, but also to protect the main line in the event of an unexpected movement.

Thank you, but I'm not clear, are you saying the loop out around the platform would not be used for that? Can you see where I am talking about?

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 08:32:25 pm »
It seems to me you have just moved the headshunt problem from the south to the north without soving the issue :hmmm:
Can you run the lines to the loco shed off a separate point so you can keep the headshunt  specifically for the goods yard?

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 08:52:30 pm »
YES! I can. Bear with me.  :D

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2017, 09:19:11 pm »
how you getting on ?

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2017, 10:21:23 pm »
I'm getting there. Ok, I agree with what's been suggested, I am just struggling to make it look 'right'. The issue is the spaces that are left on the board in other locations don't seem to suggest themselves for a loco depot. I have had a go but it seems a bit of an add on.

Is there a better layout for the engine shed sidings that will work better?

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2017, 10:24:50 pm »
What I TRY to do, ( I don't think I am very good at it) is be prototypical in the way that I start with an idea for a landscape, then try to build a railway into the landscape, ie- I can't put a siding 'there' because there is a mountain in the way, unless I put it in a cutting or tunnel.

So I am starting to get a feel for the landscape which means I am now stuck trying to fit the track into that space.

Hope that makes sense.

Matt

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2017, 04:17:22 am »
It all makes perfect sense, Matt, and I agree with you the loco facilities look a bit distant from anything else. All I suggest is that loco sheds were very often smack next door to main running lines so maybe try to reduce the length of the line running to the shed, move it nearer to the main lines and remove the separate siding for water/coal facilities or fuelling tanks. Place those facilities on the approach line to the sheds near to the ladder of points for the shed sidings.
See what you think.

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2017, 09:15:09 am »
Yes, I'm with you. The reason it ended up out there, is I am trying to avoid curved points (because they are too small radius to fit in with the curve of the layout) and I was struggling to stop the siding to the loco sheds being too small radius, which pushed it out further.

I'll have another go.

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2017, 10:35:13 am »
Ok, what do you think of this? I like the idea of some water, and having some sort of docks arrangement, so having the goods shed next to it could lead to some interesting details.

Unsure whether it would be better to add a loop as a kick back from the top engine shed siding.

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2017, 01:04:28 pm »
Looks good to me, Matt :thumbsup:
If you're going to have a harbour then I'd do away with the small goods shed and have one or more warehouses backing on the backscene. If you have space you could run a line into the warehouses and if not just model them in low relief and have a line in front of the loading bay(s).

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2017, 01:17:53 pm »
Looks good to me, Matt :thumbsup:
If you're going to have a harbour then I'd do away with the small goods shed and have one or more warehouses backing on the backscene. If you have space you could run a line into the warehouses and if not just model them in low relief and have a line in front of the loading bay(s).

Thank you. I think I am close enough to start putting some scenery in place for the track to go on. I like the idea of warehouses for the dock. I might get the track that far and then see how the space looks in reality before deciding exactly what goes there.

I also realised I can make the 'off scene' bridge a bit wider and put a couple of storage sidings there for main line trains as it spans a 4'6" gap.

Matt

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2017, 12:36:47 pm »
Hi everyone

Just an update, this has not been forgotten, but I have been a bit preoccupied with sailing lately as it's the height of the racing season.

All track currently removed, I am in the process of putting down a 25mm EPP base to allow for landscape contouring, I have discovered cork floor tiles on ebay for little money so the track areas will have a cork bed laid down before I commence track laying. I will take some pics of where I am at and put them up.

Partly, there is reduced activity because I am learning lots reading on here, and I am researching a few questions before committing to the physical work.

Matt
 :NGaugersRule:

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2017, 04:45:36 pm »

Progress has been very slow lately, far too hot in the attic!

Foam layer for substrate has been fixed down now, and marked with a grid so I can transfer track plan over from the SCARM diagram.

Trying the image hosting on the website now PB is defunct.

Handy tip, I have found a standard soldering iron with an old tip is ideal for tidying up the edges of the foam as it also seals it so there are no balls of EPP escaping all the time. I am going to use heat to mould it once the track bed is in place. This is a 25mm layer which will allow me to make the landscape drop away from the track slightly, but I will also be building up the landscape so there will be cuttings and embankments. I will get some cork down so I know what the boundaries are, then I will add to the areas left.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 04:47:11 pm by mattycoops43 »

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2017, 08:17:49 pm »

Finally got to grips with some work on the layout today. I have been putting off sorting out the lifting panel as it was one of those fiddly jobs I like to put off. Basically I build a hinged panel that will allow the track to cross from one side to the other 'off scene' as it were, and allow for me to still get inside the layout to operate it.

I designed it to be held in place by wooden blocks at either side of the ends, but the wood then shrank and it all got a bit wobbly. My solution was to put screws in as stops and adjusters for sideplay meaning when it is down it is always held exactly in the same place. I also spaced the hinged up by 6mm so that as it lifts up the track on the hinged end is pulled apart and does not interfere with each other

So, getting this far encouraged me to get some cork down and I have decided to lay track on the bridge first and work from there as it is the most critical bit of track laying. I thought I may as well have a couple of train length sidings on the bridge as it is plenty long enough, and also the cross over so the inner track will be able to get onto the branch line. Next job will be to use copper clad PCB to do the actual link onto the bridge. 

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2017, 02:49:38 pm »
Well I managed a couple of hours up there this morning before it got too hot to continue. It's been so hot the glazing on some of my Metcalfe buildings has warped!!!!

Anyway, I got the actual track joins onto the bridge made and soldered.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything