Tiger branded PCA's

Started by Calnefoxile, November 05, 2011, 05:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calnefoxile

Guys,

I have 19 yellow depressed centre PCA's, that are branded as Tiger.

Can anyone tell me when thesewagons ran on the next network??

I've tried googling for them, but can't find anything on them, not even on Paul Bartlett's site. So hopefully someone on here will know something about them.

Cheers

Neal.

Sprintex

Five minutes on Google I found these  ;)

From this site:-

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/4-rstock/modpo.htm

"The curious 'sagged' or 'depressed centre' tank available in the Graham Farish range is an aluminium bodied design introduced by Procor (who called it the Cemflo) in about 1970. This soon became the most popular type for cement and some other powders and has remained so into the early 1990's. This depressed centre tank wagon is available as an accurate ready to run model from Graham Farish. A metal body kit of the type for a Peco chassis is available from Fleetline but this is less satisfactory as it is inaccurate and tends to be top-heavy. The original tank design used simple gravity discharge but later versions have air-fluidisation as well. Tiger Rail is the largest operator of the depressed-centre aluminium bodied air-fluidised powder carrying wagons and these are the most popular type for cement traffic"

and from here:-

http://www.cdrex.com/tiger-rail-limited-7141579.html

Tiger Rail Ltd was incorporated in 1964 and eventually dissolved in 1999, so allowing a few years inside these dates for setup and decline you could say from about 1970-1990, maybe even later?

Hope that helps  :)

Paul

bluedepot

is tiger rail the same thing as 'TRL'?

i don't recall seeing these blue pcas in real life before...

tim

MJKERR

Quote from: Calnefoxile on November 05, 2011, 05:43:51 PMI have 19 yellow depressed centre PCA's, that are branded as Tiger.
These operated during the late 1980s and early 1990s

Quote from: bluedepot on November 05, 2011, 08:47:59 PMi don't recall seeing these blue pcas in real life before...
Which blue ones are you referring to?
The Albright and Wilson could be seen on the WCML, these carried acid and there were only about 12 such wagons in this livery
The Rockwell glass carried sand

Blue Circle had a split fleet of their own and plain grey
The wagons on lease were in plain grey (allowing other companies to use them)

Calnefoxile

Quote from: mjkerr on November 05, 2011, 09:09:26 PM
Quote from: Calnefoxile on November 05, 2011, 05:43:51 PMI have 19 yellow depressed centre PCA's, that are branded as Tiger.
These operated during the late 1980s and early 1990s

Mike,

Thanks for that info, just what I was after. So what would be the right livery for PCA's from the Late 70's - early 80's??

Cheers

Neal

MJKERR

Quote from: Calnefoxile on November 05, 2011, 09:18:31 PMMike,

Thanks for that info, just what I was after. So what would be the right livery for PCA's from the Late 70's - early 80's??
Mike, who is Mike?

For the 70s and 80s I would go for plain grey
You would most likely see up to 8 yellow Tiger behind a loco in Railfreight Grey or Triple Grey during the late 1980s and early 1990s

BernardTPM

There's a good article on these in Model Railways April 1989 issue by Paul Bartlett. He illustrates 9380 in yellow and said that he'd only ever seen that and 9390 in yellow. The vast majority of these operated as cement tanks for Blue Circle and were (boring) light grey, but Ketton Cement also used them (in a sort of lime green colour) and others carried other powder loads such as tripolyphosphate. The purple Lever Brothers version are both colourful and accurate!

MJKERR

I read somewhere that 8 carried this livery, yellow TIGER, so far I have managed to confirm the numbers of 4
Presumably these were additional wagons for Ketton Cement, depending on demand

Calnefoxile

So what you're saying is, I have too many of them  ;) ;) and I need replace them with Grey ones??

Anyone want to buy 11 yellow Tiger branded PCA's???

Cheers

Neal

MJKERR

Quote from: Calnefoxile on November 06, 2011, 11:33:57 AMSo what you're saying is, I have too many of them and I need replace them with Grey ones??
Yes, pretty much if you want realism
I made the same mistake, they looked nice and had somewhere around 12 at one point
This has now reduced to 8
I also replaced all my standard grey ones with the weathered versions, although I do prefer the V-shaped but these were not available in a weathered version

Calnefoxile

:NGFWagonTour:
Quote from: Calnefoxile on November 06, 2011, 11:33:57 AM
So what you're saying is, I have too many of them  ;) ;) and I need replace them with Grey ones??

Anyone want to buy 11 yellow Tiger branded PCA's???

Cheers

Neal

Actually scratch that, I'll try and repain't them.

Mmmm some modelling, no there's an interesting concept :D :D

Regards

Neal

MJKERR

Quote from: Calnefoxile on November 06, 2011, 11:48:24 AMActually scratch that, I'll try and repain't them
Should be easy enough, as the models strip down nicely, the body just lifts off, then you remove the walkway
All the data transfers you need are available
That just leaves the serial numbers and these should be easy enough to cobble together

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations