The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

Quote from: escafeld on May 03, 2017, 03:13:54 PM
Quote from: Bealman on May 03, 2017, 01:17:02 PM

Let's keep track of the fact we are a model railway community, and not a mob of social media gossips.  :thumbsup:

Quite correct, but being one of the few female member means I have to put up with sexist attitudes of a few elderly male members.
Hmmm.. Sexist and ageist comment .... ;)
I don't think anyone's out to get you Ms Escafeld just chill out a bit and enjoy the forum.  :) :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

dannyboy

If we look hard enough, we can see prejudice/sexist/racist comments all over the place, (not just on this forum  :)). If I wanted to, I could find escafeld's comments as sexist and ageist, (although I am a UK male OAP  - I become an Irish OAP later this month  :thumbsup:). I don't find the comments offensive in any way, but I do find a lot of the comments on this and other threads, amusing, whether they be about the female or male gender, age, religion or whatever. In my humble opinion, being politically correct, has gone too far these days. My lovely wife, (sometimes referred to as 'SWMBO'), does look after me, but, I look after her as well. We get on well together even with our own little foibles and, to me, that is what this forum should be striving for - a nice little friendly community. Better shut up now - sounds like a rant.  :beers:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

themadhippy

I say we roll back to the 60's when we didnt have any of this pc  bovine  excretia. People these days seem to get offended over the most minute thing,an often get offended on the behalf of others who dont actually find it offensive.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

red_death

I don't particularly care about the langauge used:

- it seems fairly arbitrary whether some "offensive" language is considered as offensive or not by the mods
- whether we like it or not language constantly evolves and things that would be completely unspeakable 20-30 years ago are no longer considered so offensive
- we don't live in a gilded cage (nor should we try to put children in one - they have to learn about society at some point though context and understanding is important)

Despite all that I think the Mods mostly get it right.

What is offensive though is the micro-aggression displayed towards Escafeld - some of the posts on this thread demonstrate exactly part of the problem.  The irony of men telling women whether or not they should be offended or capable of judging whether something is offensive or sexist...

No doubt someone will be along to claim it is all PC nonsense (I see we already have a winner) - easy to say if you are not the recipient of such behaviour...

themadhippy

QuoteNo doubt someone will be along to claim it is all PC nonsense (I see we already have a winner) - easy to say if you are not the recipient of such behaviour
As a male with hair longer than many woman and a beard that makes santa jealous i receive my fair share of such behavior,however  its  like  dihydrogen monoxide of an anatidaeds vertebral column
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

austinbob

Wow I think I need a translation of that last bit??
:hmmm: :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

dannyboy

Quote from: themadhippy on May 03, 2017, 06:32:16 PM

dihydrogen monoxide of an anatidaeds vertebral column

Very good use of the English language.  :thumbsup:.
David.

austinbob

Perhaps you can translate Dannyboy??
:)

Bob Austin

dannyboy

Quote from: austinbob on May 03, 2017, 07:50:06 PM

Water off a ducks back, (I think)  :)
David.

austinbob

Quote from: dannyboy on May 03, 2017, 07:52:17 PM
Quote from: austinbob on May 03, 2017, 07:50:06 PM

Water off a ducks back, (I think)  :)
Cool. I am now less than three inches tall...
Cringe...
:-[

Bob Austin

dannyboy

Quote from: austinbob on May 03, 2017, 07:58:52 PM

Cool. I am now less than three inches tall...
Cringe...
:-[

I had to start with Google before I worked the rest of it out!  :)
David.

Newportnobby

I'm getting soooo bored of folks sniping at each other. The Angry Thread is for folks who have a grievance and I'd like them to be more inventive with the English language than either directly swearing or using asterisks. It should not be a contest to see who can have the last word.
If you don't like what's in the thread, ignore it and read something else. The last thing this thread needs is locking but I know I am not alone as a Mod in getting sick and tired off it >:(

Bob Tidbury

WARNING OF A SCAM

Just a warning to you all .
Just had a call out of the blue supposed to be from HMRC saying that they are taking out legal procedings to recover a debt .they tell you to select option 1 to speak to a revenue officer  ,whowill then say you can stop the procedings by clearing the debt by paying on your card.
It makes me very angry to think some vulnerable old folk might be taken in by this SCAM if it was genuine you will have recieved  an official letter or two before warning you .
Bob Tidbury

Nick

Was this on your landline, Bob? If so, is your line from BT, and have you enabled Call Protect?

We were plagued by nuisance calls, six or seven a day regularly. I enabled Call Protect on the day it came out and it's been wonderful. We can go weeks without a scam call getting through to us now.

(I used to work for BT, but haven't for many years, so have no axe to grind.)

Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

austinbob

Call protect is great. The log says over a hundred calls have been blocked over the last three months or so.
One of BT's better features.
:beers:

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations