Some times I get frustrated.

Started by Geoff, October 20, 2017, 10:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

I was in Trident Trains last week,  and I saw a Steam Engine that took my eye but it was not N-Gauge, it was the over sized 00 gauge Hornby LNER J50 the detail is so good and like a silly sod I bought it and some flexi track to run it on, the reason I bought this model is that I feel frustrated with N Gauge at the moment with the choice of engines that interest me, I have also seen a 00 Gauge Adams Radial that takes my fancy, Not sure what to do if to sell all my N gauge stock and go 00 or keep the Stock And model both, so frustrated but its a good frustration to have. I enjoy all scales of model railways, there has to be some kind of direction for me even if I use both gauges to model.
Geoff

RailGooner

I'm rather tempted by Oxford Rail's Adams Radial. It would just be a static display though - I'm too invested in N to switch.

:NGaugersRule:

Webbo

I too like all model railway scales and have given way to temptation well and truly.

My main layout is N scale, but at an upper level I have an HO and G gauge circuits. The HO circuit runs the trains from my youth as well as a couple of recent sound equipped offerings (A Flying Scotsman and a Canadian Pacific FP7). The G gauge satisfies my liking for something big. For it I've got a 1:29 SD40-2 diesel that blows exhaust smoke as well as a ten-wheeler steam engine 1:22.5 scale that has Walschaerts valve gear that is very nice to watch in motion. However, you can't beat N scale for long trains running through scenery.

I'm not planning to give up any of these scales as they each have their joys.

Webbo

BobB

Having got very frustrated with a DCC modified Farish class 08, I bought an 00 version !

Hopefully the N one will become a useful little engine again but if not, then the big one will satisfy my lust for shunting at the club's layout.

The only problem is that the 00 version takes about 15 minutes to circuit the layout at a scale speed which upsets even those running slow American trains !

silly moo

I did and still do exactly the same thing, quite a few years ago Hornby brought out their Q1 and as I saw them when I was a nipper I bought one. Then there are their Terriers of which I have a big litter. These purchases led to a small 00 layout.

Eventually Dapol brought out their Q1s and Terriers so I got them in N too. N is still my favorite but I am easily led into temptation by local swop meets where Hornby is sold at such reasonable prices it would be churlish not to buy it, unfortunately there is rarely any N gauge.

I now have both N and 00 layouts and some Hornby Dublo 3 rail because something about it appeals to me. I even have an 0 gauge Terrier because they are my favorite loco. I really am a hopeless case!

On order is Hornby's beautiful SECR class H because I travelled behind the Bluebell Railway's one a couple of years ago.

I would probably buy a lot more N if new models came out more frequently it seems to take years for new models to appear - I'm hoping that Farish will bring out a rebuilt Merchant Navy before I fall off my perch!

Geoff

Thanks for all your replies I shall keep both scales and have 2 separate layouts.
Geoff

Bealman

Quote from: Webbo on October 21, 2017, 06:10:20 AM
I too like all model railway scales and have given way to temptation well and truly.

My main layout is N scale, but at an upper level I have an HO and G gauge circuits. The HO circuit runs the trains from my youth as well as a couple of recent sound equipped offerings (A Flying Scotsman and a Canadian Pacific FP7). The G gauge satisfies my liking for something big. For it I've got a 1:29 SD40-2 diesel that blows exhaust smoke as well as a ten-wheeler steam engine 1:22.5 scale that has Walschaerts valve gear that is very nice to watch in motion. However, you can't beat N scale for long trains running through scenery.

I'm not planning to give up any of these scales as they each have their joys.

Webbo

Like this, you mean?  :D

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

daffy

I am thinking I would like to go up-scale with my liking of Swiss trains. Bemo do some lovely HO rolling stock, and LGB some equally wonderful G scale, especially a Glacier Express. :hmmm: But N would continue for the sheer pleasure of small trains and lots of scenery/track mileage. :thumbsup:

I'm just waiting for the UK Government to agree to double, or maybe triple my pension, or for my Premium Bonds to bring home the bacon. ::)

(Or for SHWMBO not to notice any sudden drop in my bank account balance and the arrival of an enlarged 10:25 from Zermatt :) )

Ah! Such things as dreams are made of! :)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

BobB

I was hoping for some wise counselling; but you guys are subliminally pushing me toward an O gauge 08 shunter. Help !!!!!

ntpntpntp

Quote from: BobB on October 21, 2017, 01:09:03 PM
I was hoping for some wise counselling; but you guys are subliminally pushing me toward an O gauge 08 shunter. Help !!!!!

If you like it, have it! You only live once.

N is my main interest and has been since the 70s, but I also have  T, Z, TT, HOe, HO, OO, O and G  !

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

silly moo

I agree, railway modelling is a hobby so it's supposed to be fun.

Newportnobby

I saw Geoff at the Warrington Show today so after I'd kicked him in the erm, had a word in his ear he has said he will continue with both gauges. He knows I'll be sending the Leyland Massive round if he doesn't >:D

Geoff

Nice meeting a few members at the Warrington show, Mick did look a bit worried when I did say I had no N gauge Merchandise In my bag but all is well as my 00 gauge is only a shelf layout.
Geoff

The Q

I must admit my main interest is in EM gauge, arriving with an inherited N gauge layout has also been surprise and a frustration.
IN that,
My big fingers get in the way, 
My eye sight is not what it was,
I some times get  4mm and 2mm estimates of size confused.
There appears to be a shortage of second hand stock available.
There is not the range of new stock available, what there is much more of an emphasis on modern railways in N and I'm a steam man.
I did consider going a bigger gauge, .....I have the room for 7.5 inch in the garden.

But....it is an enjoyable change...

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations