!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Another newbie  (Read 119 times)

Offline smallick

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Another newbie
« on: August 17, 2018, 11:36:45 pm »
Hey all, just thought I would stop by and say hi. Finally getting around to starting my N gauge railway, been on the cards for ages.  Had designed a layout for one side of my garage and had purchased a loco and track to get me started.  Then we were given a few pennies by family then decided to convert the garage to a bedroom, so no train set for me! (not that I am complaining!)  Anyway now I have managed to fine some space in a 6*8 shed. 

I have decided on a simple layout that gives me plenty of scope for various scenery which was I am really looking forward to having a go at scratch building/ kit bashing.  |Money is tight so trying to do everything on a budget and have watched plenty of great vids on youtube on how to make do with cheap ingredients!

Have started having a go at scratch building some shops and housing using card and papers from scalescenes.  My first headache was trying to workout what size to make them.  How do you know how big a building is?  Well I picked up a kestrel 2 unit shop kit, and that is what I have based my shops, terraced house and my 3 story town houses on.  Pleased to say that I seem to get better each time I make something, nothing up to the standard of some of the pics I have seen though.

Anyway I have waffled on long enough. 

Hi.

Simon

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Another newbie
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 12:09:39 am »
Hi Simon! :wave: Welcome aboard. :wave:

You'll find lots of tips and inspiration for scratch building on here. :thumbsup: Modellers of every skill level supporting each other.
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 12:29:00 am »
G'day from Australia, Simon,  and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

Sounds like you are off to a very enthusiastic start!  :beers:

A slight word of caution - while the Kestrel kits are very good value for money (I have a few of them on my own layout), many of them are a tad under scale. So basing  your measurements on those may result in buildings that are under size. There are many architectural drawings available to work from.

Once again, welcome on board.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Ditape

• N Gauge Society Number: 25087
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 01:19:29 am »
 :hellosign: :welcomesign:
Diane Tape

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 06:20:20 am »
Welcome aboard
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline micro_modeller

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 06:45:55 am »
Hi Simon welcome to the forum from another new member. :wave:

Kevin

Online sp1

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 09:52:31 am »
Welcome!

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 10:45:20 am »
Have started having a go at scratch building some shops and housing using card and papers from scalescenes.  My first headache was trying to workout what size to make them.  How do you know how big a building is?  Well I picked up a kestrel 2 unit shop kit, and that is what I have based my shops, terraced house and my 3 story town houses on.

The Kestrel kits are a great place to start. The rather coarse brick and tile work handles all sorts of painting techniques really well. For example, paint the bricks walls red; dry; slap on mortar colour; quickly rub off while wet, leaving mortar in the cracks; then weather appropriately by dry brushing suitable shades for the effect you want (typically, the same basic colour but lighter shades than the brick work). I remember seeing one Kestrel farmhouse were the bricks had been painted different shades of grey, resulting in a Yorkshire limestone looking farmhouse much better than you'd expect from such a cheap kit!

They're also easy to adapt. Try putting colour paper behind the windows for curtains, or get some wire, paint it black, and shape it into more accurately scaled gutters and downpipes. Little bits of extra plastic or card can be used to fashion porches, conservatories, lean-to sheds, loft extensions and so on.

So while these kits are considered starter kits, don't undersell what you can do with them! The stationmaster house for example makes a smashing pub!

Cheers, NeMo

Offline smallick

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 12:01:43 pm »
Thanks for welcome from you all.

NeMo
I haven't actually used thr kits, just used them for the measurements.  In fact the first shops I made, I just drew around the outlines of front and side onto card.  Glued the four sides together and covered in red brick paper from scalescenes. 

Which brings me onto my other query :worried:

A slight word of caution - while the Kestrel kits are very good value for money (I have a few of them on my own layout), many of them are a tad under scale. So basing  your measurements on those may result in buildings that are under size. There are many architectural drawings available to work from.
Doh, I was hoping that they were fairly accurate, so that I could base my designs on them.  Is there a resource that you would recommend on just searching online?

Thanks again

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 02:08:04 pm »
Hi Simon, and welcome aboard :wave:
Going by your avatar pic you've taken up Wookiee wrestling as well as model railways! :confused2:

Online sp1

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 03:29:10 pm »
Hi Simon, and welcome aboard :wave:
Going by your avatar pic you've taken up Wookiee wrestling as well as model railways! :confused2:
Either that or he’s been watching that ‘Finding Bigfoot ‘ programme......

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 07:10:12 pm »
Welcome to our friendly forum Simon.   :thumbsup:
 :welcomesign:

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00