!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The angry thread  (Read 413965 times)

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
Re: The angry thread
« Reply #5760 on: Yesterday at 12:24:15 am »
I’d get the aerial checked out because there should be no need to retune unless your set has a memory fault.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Offline Nick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22901
    • Awards
« Reply #5761 on: Yesterday at 11:01:04 am »
I’d get the aerial checked out because there should be no need to retune unless your set has a memory fault.
That may be a contributing factor, but it wouldn't be my first port of call. Try the free things first. What @class37025 is describing can happen with perfectly functioning TV gear and a properly installed antenna in good condition.

I have experienced similar problems here in South Wales. Living in the Swansea area, my antenna is aligned on a transmitter in Cardiff (Wenvoe), which is almost exactly in line with a transmitter on the Mendip Hills that broadcasts English channels (obviously). That's not normally a problem, because the signal level from Mendip is way down, and the TV stays tuned to Wenvoe. However, in anomalous propagation conditions, Mendip signals can rise to a level that the TV is happy to tune into, and it decides to show us BBC West... When the anomalous propagation declines, we're left tuned to a channel that's too weak for digital reception and we have to retune. The most common condition that causes these problems is known as "sporadic E" and tends to occur in the spring/summer, but can happen at any time of year when there are high pressure weather conditions. If you check a weather map at the moment you'll find a big high sitting off southern Ireland somewhere...

The propagation problem has always existed, but actual channel jumping is one of the wonders of the digital age, as analog sets didn't retune automatically. But those who are old enough (i.e. most of us! :D) may remember "co-channel interference" where noise and even ghostly pictures would be overlaid on our normal channels because our antennas were picking up a station elsewhere in the country on the same frequency.

To fix the problem you need to disable  the  TV's automatic tuning and automatic channel update facilities and then manually tune into the multiplexes that are transmitted by the transmitter you are intending to receive. The same needs to be done to any PVR/HDD/DVD recorder in use. This should fix it, although henceforth you have to manually retune when the transmitter changes its output channels.

Precise instructions depend on TV model, and the multiplex frequencies are available online, but if @class37025 wants to PM me, I'll do my best to assist.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:02:05 am by Nick »
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Offline daffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #5762 on: Yesterday at 07:44:58 pm »
Creatures are dying in the oceans and seas of the World.

“Reduce! Recycle!”  is the mantra of the age.

Then I read this news item today about plastic, fake, “carveable” pumpkins for Halloween::

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/fake-pumpkins-consumption-environment_us_5bc8d287e4b055bc947e99fa?guccounter=1&guce_referrer_us=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvLnVrLw&guce_referrer_cs=z0RxAl-R5o1l9YPu9agr8A

Words fail me!  :veryangry: :censored: :veryangry:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here