The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: pesky badger on January 19, 2018, 02:43:34 PM
No problem with shoes for me, but trousers....Try getting a pair of 30" waist 32" leg from the high street!! They all seem to start at 32" waist which is just too big for me.  I Even started to look in the kids section in one shop and their waist sizes were just as large as the adult sizes.  Ended up finding a pair of slim fit but the legs are so narrow I can't get my arms in, let alone thighs.

Oh well, just have to go out in a bin bag  :sorrysign:

I remember those days... Now I am 38" waist but the legs haven't grown.....
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

stevewalker

Quote from: Ian Bowden on January 19, 2018, 01:20:43 PM
My cars fan belt has snapped unfortunately it has taken the belt tension pulley with it. I have had to hire a van (cheaper than a car) while I wait for it to be fixed, the price of the van was cheap as the hire company are having a January sale and it is two weeks hire for the price of one. Only problem is the £750 excess on the insurance, I am terrified every time someone walks near it I will lose my money. They used to have a damage waiver charge but have now dropped this.

I've never used one, but I have read about companies that provide insurance to cover such excesses on hire cars - even where hire companies do have their own option for this, these providers are supposed to be far cheaper.

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: stevewalker on January 19, 2018, 09:37:23 PM
Quote from: Ian Bowden on January 19, 2018, 01:20:43 PM
My cars fan belt has snapped unfortunately it has taken the belt tension pulley with it. I have had to hire a van (cheaper than a car) while I wait for it to be fixed, the price of the van was cheap as the hire company are having a January sale and it is two weeks hire for the price of one. Only problem is the £750 excess on the insurance, I am terrified every time someone walks near it I will lose my money. They used to have a damage waiver charge but have now dropped this.

I've never used one, but I have read about companies that provide insurance to cover such excesses on hire cars - even where hire companies do have their own option for this, these providers are supposed to be far cheaper.
I do use an annual "insurance for car hire" and they do pay out as well, however don't know if would cover vans though.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

stevewalker

Quote from: stevewalker on January 06, 2018, 10:49:55 PM
I bought a Dapol Brittania at Warley, was unable to test it there as we had to rush off for the train home and later found that it made all sorts of horrible noises and partially jammed every few seconds. I sent it to DCC Supplies, who checked it, stated it was unrepairable and sent a request to Dapol to replace it on 5th December. Nothing by Christmas and then I was away. Last week, once I was back, I chased it up and DCC Supplies sent a strongish email to Dapol, copying me in. Dapol replied that they would send a new one out after testing it. It arrived yesterday ... and suffers exactly the same problem :veryangry:

And now the follow-up.

Having returned the second Britannia, I phoned Dapol last week, having heard nothing at all. Today a replacement arrived  :claphappy:

I opened it up and found that they'd sent an A4 Seagull  :censored:

I now have to return that one, then they'll send me a replacement - what are the chances that they'll send the right one, send it quickly and that it'll actually work?  :uneasy:

Newportnobby

Quote from: stevewalker on February 01, 2018, 01:25:34 PM
what are the chances that they'll send the right one, send it quickly and that it'll actually work?  :uneasy:

I assume that's a rhetorical question and that you don't really want an answer (well, not one one you want to hear anyway) ;)

JonHarbour

How Long Does it Take to do a  :censored: Post-Mortem?

My mother unfortunately passed away on either January 26th or January 27th - not sure which. It is now February 6th and STILL NO  :censored: POST-MORTEM DONE  :censored:  :veryangry:

That means no death certificate, which means none of the formalities associated with the passing of a loved one can progress. We have the funeral booked for February 20th but we are beginning to doubt whether it can take place or not. Both my brother and I have flown in from overseas (him from Colombia and me from Australia) and this eternal 'holding pattern' we are stuck in is really giving us both the  :poop: massively. It's so undignified for my poor old Mum. Rant over. Apologies.
Still planning a layout...

red_death

Hi Jon

Commiserations on your loss.  My Dad died unexpectedly a couple of years back and it seemed a bit chaotic / unclear at times as to what was necessary.  We were told originally that a PM was necessary, then it turned out it wasn't.  Still not really sure why the change of mind.

Chase the Coroner's office, as they should confirm that a post mortem is necessary or not and let you know the timeframe (IIRC normally 5-7 working days though I suspect it will depend on the hospital and how busy they are).

Good luck, Mike

dannyboy

My condolences Jon, Have lost my own Mum on 30th January, I know what it is like. We were fortunate in that a PM was deemed not necessary, (the death certificate actually used the words "old age", along with a couple of other things), but the funeral is not until 14th February. If we had used Mum's first choice, it would have been at least a week later! I can't understand why it takes so long, here in Ireland, it is considered delayed if it takes 5 days to bury a loved one.  As many of you told me last week, "remember the good times".
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

RailGooner

So sorry to read of your loss Jon. I hope the bureaucratic logjam clears. My thoughts are with you.

stevewalker

Quote from: dannyboy on February 06, 2018, 06:14:03 PM
My condolences Jon, Have lost my own Mum on 30th January, I know what it is like. We were fortunate in that a PM was deemed not necessary, (the death certificate actually used the words "old age", along with a couple of other things), but the funeral is not until 14th February. If we had used Mum's first choice, it would have been at least a week later! I can't understand why it takes so long, here in Ireland, it is considered delayed if it takes 5 days to bury a loved one.  As many of you told me last week, "remember the good times".

Don't mention funerals in Ireland :( Our worst was one of my wife's uncles dying on Thursday afternoon, us not finding out 'til we came home from work at 17:30 on Friday evening  (a couple of hours before the Removal) and the funeral being at 11:00 on Saturday morning! By the time we'd organised for our children to go round to my parents, we were too late for a flight that night and the first flight of the morning was too late for us to pick up a hire car and get across to Sligo in time. We ended up dropping the kids at my parents, driving to Holyhead, crossing to Dublin and driving to Sligo (via a florist) and arriving with 15 minutes to spare. After the funeral we went to the meal, stayed just over an hour, then drove to Belfast, crossed to Stranraer and drove back to Manchester. Absolutely exhausting!

Bealman

At least you made it, though.  :thumbsup:

When I flew to the UK to sort out things after the sudden death of my parents in 1990, my UK passport had expired. I obtained emergency travel documents from the British Consulate here in Australia, which were promptly taken off me when I arrived at Heathrow.

I got to the funeral, but was effectively stranded, with a wife, kids and a job back in Australia!  >:(
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

JonHarbour

Well, I have my answer to the question about the post-mortem. It was done yesterday, but the results are inconclusive. That means an interim death certificate can be issued, which should be sufficient for me to take my Mum's ashes back with me. We can't formally register the death though. We'll get there eventually. It is moving at the speed of a glacier though...

Bealman

Oh, that's what is holding things up. Good luck!

To be perfectly honest, I don't know where my mother's ashes are. My father's are at a crematorium near Sunderland. I'd like to think that's where hers are, too.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

JonHarbour

My Mum had a very specific request. My father's ashes are located at the Memorial Park very close to where I currently live - at the time my wife and I bought our house, we did not realise that was where he was - I was only 9 years old when he died and it was only after we bought the place I found out. Mum has asked to be reunited with him, which is a lovely and very comforting thought. Bit of a hike for my sister (UK) and my brother (Colombia) to pay a visit though....

stevewalker

As you will know if you've read my previous posts, I bought a Dapol Britannia (Apollo) at Warley, in November. It turned out to be faulty and was sent to DCC supplies, who deemed it unrepairable and emailed Dapol to replace it.

It took until January for Dapol to send a replacement - and only after DCC supplies chased them on my behalf.

The (supposedly tested) replacement proved to have exactly the same problem and was returned directly to Dapol.

Again, no replacement was forthcoming until I called them. The  replacement proved to be ... an A4 (Seagull) !!!

Another return to Dapol.

Nothing happened again, until I called to prompt them.

Last week a replacement arrived. Amazing - it was the right one and ran fairly well ... for a short time.

I found that it kept derailing on left-hand curves ... it turned out that the trailing pony truck was catching on one of the posts for the loco to tender connections. Pressing this down and across a little solved this problem - although I wouldn't want to run it on less than my minimum 12" curves.

Having ascertained that it then ran okay, I added some coaches. It promptly ran for 10 seconds and then the drive connector on the motor shaft began to spin freely and all drive was lost - even light engine.

Okay, I can fix this with a drop of Loctite, but with this experience (and the "pre-owned" 9F that struggles to pull a train half the length that my Graham-Farish 4F purrs along with), I am pretty sure that I will not be chancing a Dapol loco again!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations