Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarriageShed

The strange thing is that I'm supposed to be doing the SR and S&D, but the LMS keeps trying to take over. They just have so many great looking locos, dammit!   :D

Bealman

Yeah, they do.... but it's your layout, and you can run what you want!  :thumbsup:

Anyway - and I'm sure you would know a lot more than me about the S&D - didn't LMS locos run over those metals at various times?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

NeMo

Thanks to some advice on another thread, managed to get this little tank engine working nicely. Came with a DCC chip, sort-of worked on DC but not really, so that had to be removed (the chip's free to a good home, by the way).

Bought used, for £40, at Wheels of Steel in London, together with a couple of GWR Collett coaches. Here it's with a few weathered wagons though.

Cheers, NeMo

(Former NGS Journal Editor)

scotsoft

You will have a nice feeling of achievement with your success  :D

cheers John.

Paddy

Quote from: Pete33 on July 27, 2013, 10:24:00 AM
Back to the UK ;)  Here are my latest buys, for a forthcoming (honest, it really is forthcoming) Somerset & Dorset layout set in 1930. I've been after both of these for some time, and the LMS Crab is just beautiful (and a bargain, at more than £40 below retail price. Yum!). I need more of the Writhlington wagons, and I think that might take a while.

All the best
Peter

Love the Crab - wonderful livery.  I have a BR Black one as well, not a bad effort by Farish for its time.

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

johnlambert

Quote from: Paddy on July 28, 2013, 09:25:52 AM

Love the Crab - wonderful livery.  I have a BR Black one as well, not a bad effort by Farish for its time.

Paddy

My Poole-built, BR lined black Crab (42806, I think) is by far the best running old-school N-gauge loco I own (no idea why).  It took a bit of effort to get it running as it was in a sorry state when I bought it.  The only problem is that I've never managed to get another Poole-designed steam loco to run as well (I've tried with a couple of Halls and a Castle).  Other steam locos in my collection are better detailed, run better and would be worth more if I sold them but in many ways the Crab is my favourite because of the time and effort I've invested in it and the fact that I've seen that investment repaid in the way it runs.

CarriageShed

Quote from: NeMo on July 27, 2013, 09:32:14 PM
Thanks to some advice on another thread, managed to get this little tank engine working nicely. Came with a DCC chip, sort-of worked on DC but not really, so that had to be removed (the chip's free to a good home, by the way).

Bought used, for £40, at Wheels of Steel in London, together with a couple of GWR Collett coaches. Here it's with a few weathered wagons though.

Cheers, NeMo

NeMo, that looks absolutely lovely. A nice find, that's for certain, and a nice layout to run it on  :thumbsup:

CarriageShed

Quote from: johnlambert on July 28, 2013, 10:43:26 AM
My Poole-built, BR lined black Crab (42806, I think) is by far the best running old-school N-gauge loco I own (no idea why).  It took a bit of effort to get it running as it was in a sorry state when I bought it.  The only problem is that I've never managed to get another Poole-designed steam loco to run as well (I've tried with a couple of Halls and a Castle).  Other steam locos in my collection are better detailed, run better and would be worth more if I sold them but in many ways the Crab is my favourite because of the time and effort I've invested in it and the fact that I've seen that investment repaid in the way it runs.

It's reassuring to know that at least some of the old locos can be strong and reliable, as for the most part that's what I have right now. My Crab was a newer Bachmann one, though. I think the spoked wheels and the lack of shiny metal gives it away, so I'm doubly pleased by my bargain. I know this one goes, but at the moment that's all I know. It's yet to be able to prove that it's a good runner.

Bealman, LMS locos took over from S&D Prussian Blue locos in 1930, so they handled most of the running from then onwards, especially north of Templecombe. The SR filled in the gaps, and most of the rolling stock (coaches especially) was SR until nationalisation. As I plan to model 1930, which is the year that the S&D was absorbed into the LMS and SR, I can run a mix of S&D leftovers alongside LMS locos and SR coaches, plus plenty of SR locos at the Bournemouth West end of the line. I can't wait to get started!  :)

H

Quote from: Pete33 on July 28, 2013, 03:34:10 PM

My Crab was a newer Bachmann one, though. I think the spoked wheels and the lack of shiny metal gives it away, so I'm doubly pleased by my bargain.

I doubt that it will have see through spoked wheels, but the Chinese Bachmann Crab will have finer profile blackened wheels that look a whole heap better than the old Poole shiny ones with large sharp flanges.

I wouldn't mind getting one of those newer Bachmann chassis for my old Farish Crab.

H.

Trev

Thank goodness for birthdays

2 additions to the heavy metal roster

Duchess of Abercorn

Scots Guardsman

Apologies for the poor images. The locos themselves are superb, particularly the Royal Scott
Whenever I write a letter to someone, I add a footnote briefly explaining Ohm's law. It's my P.S. de resistance.

daveg

Nice!  :thumbsup:

Looks like you had an excellent birthday. Wish you many more.

Dave G

scotsoft

Nice locos Trev, shame about the pictures, however if you package them up safely and send them to me I will take a few pictures for you  :D  :angel:

cheers John.

daveg

Quote from: scotsoft on July 29, 2013, 08:42:57 AM
Nice locos Trev, shame about the pictures, however if you package them up safely and send them to me I will take a few pictures for you  :D  :angel:

cheers John.

Yeah, right!

Thousands would believe you :no:

Dave G

CarriageShed

Quote from: daveg on July 29, 2013, 08:57:27 AM
Quote from: scotsoft on July 29, 2013, 08:42:57 AM

cheers John.

Yeah, right!

Thousands would believe you :no:

Dave G

I believe him entirely. He has a very honest face...  :angel:

And that's two fantastic locos you have there, Trev. I have one of Abercorn's sister locomotives and she travels like a dream.

mereman

Quote from: Pete33 on July 29, 2013, 07:25:17 PM

I believe him entirely. He has a very honest face...  :angel:

And that's two fantastic locos you have there, Trev. I have one of Abercorn's sister locomotives and she travels like a dream.

reminds of "There's one born every minute"  :smiley-laughing:
I keep forgetting to add Cheers Mike on the end of my posts....

So.....  Cheers Mike

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations