Scam phone calls

Started by austinbob, October 22, 2018, 05:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

silly moo

I had my first "Have you been involved in an accident that wasn't your fault?" call. I was tempted to say "Yes" then I could have sued the stairs I fell down  :smiley-laughing:

Bealman

Skyline2uk

Somebody has already mentioned Sky Shield which we in the Skyline household make good use of.

I do get scam calls on my mobile occasionally (comes with the territory of having the same number for so long), and I can't just ignore unknown numbers for various reasons.

However, my trusted technique is to accept the call, and simply say nothing. 9 out of 10 times the line goes dead, and if it doesn't I weed out scams in other ways.

My dear old mum has recently come very close to being scammed however; she was actually messing around with her laptop as instructed until the alarm went off in her head and she hung up. Fortunately I have a very good friend who is local to her who is a complete IT genius. He was able to restore security on the system fully but informs me she was dangerously close to opening up full control to these clowns.

It's not a pleasant world online these days.

Skyline2uk

Bealman

Skyline2uk

Trainfish

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on October 23, 2018, 05:44:05 PM
I've lost count of the number of times the scammers have told me that our computer is sending out spurious messages and we are going to be cut of off the internet and like emjaybee I decided to string one foreign gentleman and I use the word loosely ,He was telling me to go to this screen and that screen click on this that and the other ,I was trying to pretend that I was doing what he said and kept this up for quite a while ,I then told him that I couldn't see the particular thing he told me to do ,on my IPad , the line went quiet ,so I said I hope I've wasted enough of his time and suddenly the phone went dead.
But I hope no older person gets worried and falls for the scam ,I did tell our next door neighbor as he relies on his internet to keep in touch with his family on FaceTime he said he had the same call and did wonder if it was real or not.
But luckily he decided to ignore it and see what happened.
Bob Tidbury

I've had several of these and have also strung a few along. I acted like a real numpty (no need to try says the wife) including when he told me to open windows. Of course I told him to hold on, came back 2 minutes later and told him I was now getting cold. After 30+ minutes I was passed to a supervisor as I think they thought they had a mug (me) on the line. As soon as the supervisor came on I apologised and said I needed a pee and could she wait. I walked to the kitchen tap, ran it, sighed loudly as I started and thanked her for being so patient. The call continued for around 2 more minutes before SHE accused ME of wasting her time and she hung up on me  :D
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations