East Coast Mainline Express service which MK1 Coaches would be used

Started by Paul-H, September 29, 2018, 02:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les1952

Two other things to look out for.

Gresley coaches hung on quite late, especially the buffet cars, as did Thompson coaches.  These were mixed in, so "Pure" Mark 1 rakes were almost non-existent.  The only pure "Mark 1" rake I can remember was the later version of the Tees Tyne Pullman, and even then they were Met-Camm Pullmans with a BG at each end.  Mark 2s were getting mixed in before the Gresley buffets in particular disappeared.

I think the Elizabethan had one of the articulated twin restaurant sets from the prewar streamliners, but I may be mistaken.

More important is that East Coast Main line trains were marshalled with all of the corridoors on the West side (the left travelling North and the right travelling South.)  This was to give travellers the best views of Durham Castle and Cathedral, the castles that were visible from the line through Northumberland, and the coast North of Berwick.  This is particularly important when using Gresleys as all the sides with compartment doors should be on the same side of the train.

There were also lots of brakes mid-train...

Hope this helps.
Les

Les1952

Just one other thing-

Apart from railtours the only Princess Coronations to work on the East Coast Main Line were during the 1948 Locomotive exchanges.  As Stanier locos they were West Coast Main Line locos.

You need an LNER Pacific or at the least a V2.

Dapol do the A4 and A3 (A4s mainly on the principal trains) and Farish do the A1 and A2 (A1s on the principal trains).  Note the single chimney A2s were all based in Scotland and only very rarely seen South of Newcastle.

Les

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations