New Farish 12T box vans

Started by tunneroner61, September 05, 2018, 03:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tunneroner61

Does anyone know how to separate the body and chassis of the new model Farish 12T box vans so that some weights can be put inside. It's not obvious tho there are some lugs on the underside which may allow access. I'd like to know before I wreck a new wagon,

thanks Norman

PLD

Before you risk wrecking a new wagon, why do you want to add extra weight?? Farish wagons are on the heavy side as they come. Is there a running issue you are trying to solve? If so, you will be better resolving the actual issue rather than attempting to overcome it with extra weight. Tell us the symptoms and someone will probably be able to suggest other better solutions. Usually, all adding weight does, is reduce the length of train locos are capable of pulling...

Newportnobby

If extra weight is really necessary how about glueing some small fishing weights to the chassis as they won't be seen?

tunneroner61

@PLD. I kept the question simple in the hope I'd get a simple reply. I wasn't planning to deliberately wreck a wagon!!!  I'll give you the full story then. A fellow modeller (who is not an NGF member, I am asking on his behalf)  has a layout that uses DG couplings. The uncoupling magnets unfortunately are of the permanent sort. A couple of his Farish wagons have been fitted with DGs at one end only, but when they run over the magnets tip up. So we wanted to try putting weights in the DG fitted end to stop this. We cannot find a way to break into the wagons easily. We have already thought of Nobbys suggestion as a plan B. And before anyone suggests these - putting the magnets on hinges or changing them to electromagnets are not viable options.

So it's not a running issue as such, but thanks for the thoughts. So how do you separate a Farish chassis from a body???

PLD

Quote from: tunneroner61 on September 05, 2018, 10:55:41 PMA fellow modeller (who is not an NGF member, I am asking on his behalf)  has a layout that uses DG couplings. The uncoupling magnets unfortunately are of the permanent sort. A couple of his Farish wagons have been fitted with DGs at one end only, but when they run over the magnets tip up. So we wanted to try putting weights in the DG fitted end to stop this.

So it's not a running issue as such, but thanks for the thoughts. So how do you separate a Farish chassis from a body???
So you're saying that when the DG coupling passes over the magnet, the magnetic attraction is so strong it pulls that end of the wagon downwards??
If that is what is happening, either the magnets are ridiculously over powerful for the application, or there is too much iron wire on the tail of the couplings of the affected wagons... I use B&B couplings which work on the same principle and have seen the above once when someone gave us a new (too) powerful Electro-magnet to try.

The proper solution is to address why there excessive magnetic force. Adding weight to the DG fitted end of the wagon will actually make the situation worse by shifting the centre of gravity towards that end. If you do insist on going down the extra weight to counter the magnetic attraction, put it in the centre of the wagon to keep the centre of gravity in the right place, otherwise you do risk introducing a multitude of other issues...

NinOz

Quote from: tunneroner61 on September 05, 2018, 10:55:41 PM
So how do you separate a Farish chassis from a body???
I too would be interested to know how to do it.
Anyone actually know? ???
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

tunneroner61

Naturally I'd like to know too. Both of us are experienced modellers quite capable of problem solving. I don't think a lecture on the subject was really needed, especially as it didn't answer the original question!! Maybe no-one knows.

RailGooner

I'm sorry, I don't know how to remove the wagon body from the chassis for that model. But, one solution I've seen to getting weight into a seemingly inseparable wagon was to drill a hole in the bottom. IIRC the hole was around 6-8 mm diameter. Through the hole, lead shot or fishing weights were poured along with some PVA. Seal the hole with a bit of masking tape and turn the wagon right way up. When the PVA has set, the masking tape can be discarded.

Bachmann support should be able to answer your specific question though.

HTH.

@NinOz
@tunneroner61

Southerngooner

Getting the body off of the chassis is easy, as I found out last week when repeating an olive green van into bauxite. Get a tiny lay screwdriver wlbetween the side and the chassis and it will move a little. From memory there are four small clips keeping things together, but mine came off fine after some (gentle) persuasion.
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

crepello

It's a good chassis for the Dapol gunpowder van body by the way!

tunneroner61

Thanks Southerngooner, we'll give your suggestion a go. Whats a 'tiny lay screwdriver' by the way??

Southerngooner

A "tiny lay screwdriver" is what you get when you allow the phone to predictive text! I meant a "tiny little screwdriver...", ideally flat headed.!
Dave

bridgiesimon

May I suggest that a trial with a lump of blutack or similar on the wagon to add weight to see it wakes a difference before loading up inside the wagon if getting into them continues to be a problem. I have not taken one apart so cannot help with that side of your issues.

Best wishes
Simon

Southerngooner

I would agree with all the posts saying that adding weight is the wrong option. We use B&B couplings on James Street and can uncouple single wagons with ease. It must be too strong an electromagnet, which should be the first port of call,otherwise you will end up with lots of very heavy wagons and very short trains.....
Dave

PLD

Quote from: Southerngooner on September 08, 2018, 05:11:17 PM
Getting the body off of the chassis is easy, as I found out last week when repeating an olive green van into bauxite. Get a tiny lay screwdriver wlbetween the side and the chassis and it will move a little. From memory there are four small clips keeping things together, but mine came off fine after some (gentle) persuasion.
That will indeed separate the body from the chassis, however it will not give access to add weight inside the van body... The body has a solid floor. On some vans this is a separate piece glued in (might be able to prise out but at risk damaging the body); others is is an integral part of the body moulding you would then need to cut or drill through to get inside.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations