N gauge track joiners... what's the best to use?

Started by badgercote, May 02, 2018, 11:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

badgercote

I've just made my first foray into track laying, not very easy I must admit but as a first timer not a bad result.
I've used some flexi track and faffed and fannied around cutting the rail ends to match and meet but as for the joiners I was wondering which ones are the best to use. I had in a box some of the Peco ones and some of the Gaugemaster ones, the latter being quite different from the former. I tried these and found they were quite loose on the rails but looked stronger due to their bigger and different shape.
In your opinion as experts which type (there may be others you use) is the best and least irritating to use?
I'm not going to be soldering afterwards, forget that for a game of soldiers.
Thanks.

zwilnik

I use the Peco joiners, but I made myself a fishplate pusher tool

It's a section of spare rail with the metal bit from a cable connection block slid over it and tightened on so that there's half a fishplate's length of track showing. I then file the track end a little bit to make it so it's very easy to put a fishplate on it. Makes it a lot easier to push the joiners onto track.

The handle is a standard pin vice/hand file handle, but you can just wrap the other track end in electrical tape.

Carmont

I prefer the peco ones, because they are much less obtrusive compared to the gaugemaster ones. They are a fiddle at times, to install, but worth the extra work, for me.

Newportnobby

Quote from: badgercote on May 02, 2018, 11:21:35 AM

I'm not going to be soldering afterwards, forget that for a game of soldiers.

Love it. As an owner of a pair of shaky hands I use pre soldered Peco fishplates (PL-82) as they take all the hassle out although some would say always solder droppers to the side/bottom of the track. I've had no issues with them........
http://www.hattons.co.uk/62347/Peco_Products_PL_82_Power_feed_joiners_Code_55_80_x4_pairs_/StockDetail.aspx#15252578517112&_command=reamaze%3Aresize&_height=438&_name=_embed_0&_url=

ntpntpntp

...for the joiners I was wondering which ones are the best to use.

You don't say which track system you're using?   For Peco track then Peco joiners should be the best fit. 

The Gaugemaster ones are intended to be more "universal", so probably a little more loose fitting to cope with other brands of rail (there are slight differences in the rail shape and size of the foot even though they may be code 80)
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Bramshot

The Gaugemaster ones are easier to fit but they are so large that I find the wheel flanges hit them, causing the loco to jump as well as making a clunk noise as they pass. I wish I hadn't used them, but I am stuck with them now at joins between flexitrack as everything is ballasted in. IMO Gaugemaster should be shot for even selling them!

PLD

which type is the best to use?
The slightly flippant but rather obvious answer is the correct ones for your track!

If you are using PECO track, that means PECO joiners, if you are using AN Other brand of track, then their joiners...

Yet_Another

Just to leaven that comment, there has been some discussion elsewhere in the forum around the use of Fleischmann insulating joiners rather than Peco ones for Peco track, based on the fact that the Peco ones are really floppy, whereas the Fleischmann ones are stiffer and easier to manipulate onto the rail ends.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Philip.

Quote from: Zwilnik on May 02, 2018, 11:28:35 AM
I use the Peco joiners, but I made myself a fishplate pusher tool

It's a section of spare rail with the metal bit from a cable connection block slid over it and tightened on so that there's half a fishplate's length of track showing. I then file the track end a little bit to make it so it's very easy to put a fishplate on it. Makes it a lot easier to push the joiners onto track.

The handle is a standard pin vice/hand file handle, but you can just wrap the other track end in electrical tape.
That is brilliant, just made myself one, no more bleeding thumbs for me  :D :NGaugersRule:

bluedepot

stabbing the end of a piece of rail into your hand is all part of the fun of track laying!!

if you file very slightly the end of the rail (underside corners) that helps to push the fishplates on easier, although you want it fairly tight still if relying on them for connectivity.

i have never seen gaugemaster fishplates before so no idea on that one though

good luck

tim

zwilnik

Quote from: bluedepot on May 02, 2018, 10:09:36 PM
stabbing the end of a piece of rail into your hand is all part of the fun of track laying!!

if you file very slightly the end of the rail (underside corners) that helps to push the fishplates on easier, although you want it fairly tight still if relying on them for connectivity.

i have never seen gaugemaster fishplates before so no idea on that one though

good luck

tim

If you want real fun try the Z gauge ones :/ I eventually realised that N gauge joiners were a lot easier and more practical for Z gauge track.

bluedepot

i'll pass on z gauge thanks...!!!

my eyes are pretty poor anyway and i think z gauge track looks a bit rubbishy tbh

tim

zwilnik

Quote from: bluedepot on May 02, 2018, 10:19:42 PM
i'll pass on z gauge thanks...!!!

my eyes are pretty poor anyway and i think z gauge track looks a bit rubbishy tbh

tim

It is really. It's probably equivalent to code 100 if it was in N Gauge. Fortunately it's about the same height as code 55 so works fairly well as narrow gauge track in N :)

Jerry Howlett

I use Peco all the time for Peco track BUT admit the insulated joiner are somewhat NAFF. Due to the non availability  of a thing  I my part of Italy I have taken to using cutters I to create my insulation gaps.  I must try and source the Fleischman type.
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations