Gloss Cream Paint Needed.

Started by Deltic1981, April 23, 2018, 05:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deltic1981

Sounds daft but I'm having trouble finding Cream coloured paint preferably spray.

Snowwolflair

Due to its chemistry enamel gloss cream paint almost always yellows with age.  Paint in a mat cream and spray with a polyurethane (or acrylic) gloss varnish is the best way round this I have found.

ntpntpntp

I used this recently to re-do some Minitrix teak coach roofs that had been repainted.  From one of our local DIY stores, probably Homebase (now Bunnings)

Satin varnish as a top coat (I don't like full gloss on small scale models)
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

njee20

Acrylic varnish on top of enamels can end badly too, I'd avoid that combo.

Snowwolflair

yes you cannot be in a hurry.  Two to three days minimum for any paint to dry without reacting.

dannyboy

Quote from: ntpntpntp on April 23, 2018, 07:54:19 PM

Not sure if I am missing something, but the can says 'Craft Enamel' and further down 'fast drying acrylic spray paint'.  The label on the top says 'Acrylic'. Can you have an 'enamel acrylic'?  :confused2:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: dannyboy on April 23, 2018, 10:17:17 PM
Quote from: ntpntpntp on April 23, 2018, 07:54:19 PM

Not sure if I am missing something, but the can says 'Craft Enamel' and further down 'fast drying acrylic spray paint'.  The label on the top says 'Acrylic'. Can you have an 'enamel acrylic'?  :confused2:

Wikipedia definition

Enamel paint is paint that air dries to a hard, usually glossy, finish, used for coating surfaces that are outdoors or otherwise subject to hard wear or variations in temperature; it should not be confused with decorated objects in "painted enamel", where vitreous enamel is applied with brushes and fired in a kiln. The name is something of a misnomer, as in reality, most commercially available enamel paints are significantly softer than either vitreous enamel or stoved synthetic resins, and are totally different in composition; vitreous enamel is applied as a powder or paste and then fired at high temperature. There is no generally accepted definition or standard for use of the term enamel paint, and not all enamel-type paints may use it.

Typically the term "enamel paint" is used to describe oil-based covering products, usually with a significant amount of gloss in them, however recently many latex or water-based paints have adopted the term as well. The term today means "hard surfaced paint" and usually is in reference to paint brands of higher quality, floor coatings of a high gloss finish, or spray paints. Most enamel paints are alkyd resin based. Some enamel paints have been made by adding varnish to oil-based paint.

dannyboy

Right, got that ........... but is it enamel or acrylic?  ;D
David.

Snowwolflair

It seems that it has become a description of hardness not chemical composition.  So you can have an acrylic enamel, not that I would trust it  :D

dannyboy

David.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations