GWR gas wagons

Started by Timofpenk, March 27, 2018, 08:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timofpenk

Hi I wonder if any of you good people on here can help point me in the right direction I'm looking for a GWR gas wagon RTR or kit or would it be a case of scratch building one on a spare 10ft wagon chassis any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
Tim

Timofpenk

:thumbsup: yes that's the exact type I'm  thinki about I recall reading somewhere that not only did they use them for lighting in passenger train formations but also at some stations to provide gas for the lights.  Should of known a man of knowledge and years  :smiley-laughing: would have some advice thanks mr Newport

bridgiesimon

Not a very detailed model but there is this one -
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/4-rstock/5-tank.htm

(look about half way down the page for a neatly built one.)

W&T Models from Scalelink?

http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/_N__Scale_Models.html
Look for WTJ02

Best wishes
Simon

Hailstone

county rolling stock made them at one time but ceased trading and sold most of his wagon kits to peedie models - it may be worth having a word with them. I have one of the multi cylinder gas wagon kits that he made, but intend to build it myself. maybe worth a look on ebay?

Regards,

Alex

Newportnobby

Quote from: Timofpenk on March 27, 2018, 09:59:49 PM
Should of known a man of knowledge and years would have some advice

You got the years bit right :(

Karhedron

Not directly related to the model but there was usually one stabled on the centre road at Aberystwyth in steam days. You can just see it peeping out from behind the newspaper kiosk in this shot.

Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Karhedron

And a better shot here. Clearly these things were not cleaned and polished on a regular basis. ;)

I do not know for certain but it is possible that this regular wagon was here to refuel the restaurant car of the Aberystwyth portion of the Cambrian Coast Express, ready for its return journey to Paddington. The 1958/59 formation for this portion of the train was  RU, FK, SK, BSK.

Seeing a 4-coach train jogging along behind a Manor, resplendent with the express headboard must have been quite a sight. Who says you can't run named expresses on a small layout?  ;)

Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Jollybob

Osbornes Models have just released their latest exclusive wagon which is a GWR Cordon, but this is the 9 tank version.
It's laser etch kit but I think it looks good.

http://www.osbornsmodels.com/great-western-replicas-rtr-002--9-tank-travelling-gas-tank-cordon-44411-p.asp

I want the twin tank version as well. They are open to suggestions, if we can persuade them, they may think about making the twin tank cordon.

Rob.

Newportnobby

I'm pretty sure someone could do one in 3D, akin to the shunters truck Osborns recently did :hmmm:

pesky badger

Slightly bemused by the Oborn's description of the 9 tank

"The Cordon would be parked in a convenient siding and connected up to a local pie system. "

Chicken & mushroom perhaps  :D

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: pesky badger on March 31, 2018, 05:06:01 PM
"The Cordon would be parked in a convenient siding and connected up to a local pie system. "

Sounds more like a Corden than a Cordon :-[

Newportnobby

Quote from: tutenkhamunsleeping on March 31, 2018, 05:18:51 PM
Quote from: pesky badger on March 31, 2018, 05:06:01 PM

Sounds more like a Corden than a Cordon :-[

:laughabovepost:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations