NER Dynamometer help wanted

Started by Snowwolflair, March 05, 2018, 06:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowwolflair

I'm looking for scale drawings for the NER Dynamometer car used for the Mallard speed run.

I'm particularly looking for detail, internal and under the coach

Any help would be appreciated.

exmouthcraig

Didn't Rails of Sheffield commission one of these in OO??

I don't know if it ever got built or sold but guess that could maybe help with drawings

:hmmm:

Snowwolflair

Quote from: exmouthcraig on March 05, 2018, 07:05:44 PM

I don't know if it ever got built or sold but guess that could maybe help with drawings

:hmmm:

Yes its a resin model and they are currently selling it.  Its made by a third party who I believe got access to the original at the York Museum.  I have asked but not got a response, probably as I have not offered to cross their palms with silver.

exmouthcraig

Indeed. How about contacting NRM direct? Surely their library must have a wealth of information available at a small cost for copying and sending??? Or just book a trip there and waste the rest of the day trekking round the NRM  :bounce:

kirky

Quote from: exmouthcraig on March 05, 2018, 07:13:19 PM
Indeed. How about contacting NRM direct? Surely their library must have a wealth of information available at a small cost for copying and sending??? Or just book a trip there and waste the rest of the day trekking round the NRM  :bounce:
see reply no 2
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Snowwolflair

Quote from: thebrighton on March 05, 2018, 07:11:58 PM
Have you seen this:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/5Z92CJ6JB/o-148fs-ner-dynamometer-coach-1?optionId=64917960

Yes, it arrives in the post tomorrow  :), hence i'm looking for drawings.  I asked the designer to release it in Frosted Extreme Detail and i'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

Snowwolflair

QuoteOr just book a trip there and waste the rest of the day trekking round the NRM  :bounce:

I think the York show is due a long weekend visit this year.

kiwi1941

Quote from: Snowwolflair on March 05, 2018, 07:55:46 PM
Have you seen this:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/5Z92CJ6JB/o-148fs-ner-dynamometer-coach-1?optionId=64917960

Yes, it arrives in the post tomorrow  :), hence i'm looking for drawings.  I asked the designer to release it in Frosted Extreme Detail and i'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out.
Please keep us up to date with your progress. I'd love one but would like to know how difficult it will be before investing. TIA Brian
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." Wendell Phillips.

Eternal paranoia is the price of liberty: vigilance is not enough. Len Deighton.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: kiwi1941 on March 05, 2018, 09:00:05 PM
Quote from: Snowwolflair on March 05, 2018, 07:55:46 PM
Have you seen this:

Please keep us up to date with your progress. I'd love one but would like to know how difficult it will be before investing. TIA Brian

It was a spontaneous purchase, so not done much planning yet (I usually research before I buy).  However, once I have thought it through I will post a build thread.

I have some Gresley teak coaches to build and I will probably do it with them as there will be common teak wood effects.

thebrighton

Quote from: Snowwolflair on March 05, 2018, 09:04:45 PM
It was a spontaneous purchase, so not done much planning yet (I usually research before I buy).  However, once I have thought it through I will post a build thread.
Same here last week. No idea what I'm going to do with it though!

RailGooner

Quote from: exmouthcraig on March 05, 2018, 07:05:44 PM

Yep, a Rapido Trains model. Two versions are being produced - (v1) Mallard record run, and (v2) BR locomotive exchange trials. I'm seriously considering buying a v1.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: thebrighton on March 05, 2018, 09:42:29 PM
Quote from: Snowwolflair on March 05, 2018, 09:04:45 PM
Same here last week. No idea what I'm going to do with it though!

Did you order Ex FUD or the tough white plastic.  Its a tossup which to use but I have developed a sequence of prep that gives me a good surface with FUD.

thebrighton

I went for the extreme FUD. I'll wait and see if the extra few quid was worth it.

Snowwolflair

Definitely worth the extra money, this is a model to take some time over.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations