!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Pre Ordering a new model recommend a dealer  (Read 278 times)

Online Paul-H

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Pre Ordering a new model recommend a dealer
« on: February 12, 2018, 09:28:22 am »
Hi all

So as seen elsewhere I fancy one of the new Graham Farish Class 31's

So wish to place an order for it from somewhere, but never pre-ordered anything before, so for those who have can you recommend a reliable dealer to place my order.

I see rails of Sheffield are taking orders, are they reliable for this sort of transaction, and is taking the money up-front normal for pre-orders.  I have pre-ordered photographic equipment before and in those cases the money was not taken until the items were in stock and ready for shipment, any rail related dealers do this or do they all take the money up front.

Thanks fr your dealer recomendations

Paul

Online austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
Re: Pre Ordering a new model recommend a dealer
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 09:47:09 am »
I've found Hattons to be pretty good and they keep you informed of delivery expectations.
However, I gave up on pre-ordering because Dapol and Farish availability predictions are always optimistic and always drift into the distant future.
I now ask my local retailer to let me know when he's expecting delivery of newly released items and pop down to the shop at the appropriate time
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 09:54:17 am »
Taking payment only once an order is in stock and available to ship is the norm. Which I find a PITA when it comes to managing my budget.
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Online newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 09:56:07 am »
Rails are my retailer of choice and I have always pre ordered from them. However, they have never taken money from me until they actually despatch to the item from them to me. Just as well really, as I've had a DJ Models class 23 on pre order since they were announced!

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 03:02:19 pm »
Rails are very good and as Newportnobby has said don't take money until the item is ready to despatch.

As long as you don't live in Africa they are fine and the fact that we have a dreadful postal service certainly isn't their fault.  :veryangry:

They will happily test locos before despatch.

Online Bob G

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 03:56:17 pm »
Look at Rails of Sheffield, Hattons in Liverpool, Invicta in Kent, and Model Railways Direct in Portishead for the best deals.
They will generally offer -15% off RRP (all they are allowed to discount on a new loco due to the Dapol and Farish cartel-like agreements on these things) but Rails regularly beat the rest on new locos with free postage, while Hattons will keep sending you updates on when the loco is due to arrive.
None of these take payment until the loco is ready to be packed and posted to you.

HTH
Bob

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 04:33:03 pm »
Just as a matter of interest, do any of the big sellers here in the U.K. so far mentioned do something that Modellbahnshop Lippe in Germany does on items they advertise as being due in? They will allow you to Reserve an item and when it arrives  they notify you and then you have 5 days to finalise the order and make payment. If you change your mind in between times, no problem, the Reservation simply expires with no penalty. (Though out of courtesy I always cancel a Reservation as soon as I know I no longer want an item.)

This I find important for those items that take months, even years to materialise, as personal finances can change over time. One set of wagons I have Reserved have been so for over a year now. The only drawback for me would be if I was offline for the five day period and missed the order completion deadline.

I can see this system is a potential risk for the seller, but it seems to work for MSL, and it certainly gets my thumbs up, and I'm not aware of other sellers who do this, hence my question.

Sadly for the OP, MSL does not stock the main UK market N items from the likes of Farish and Dapol.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Carmont

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 04:38:42 pm »
I try to use Collet's of Exmouth whenever I can. Very friendly, (almost) one man band and more often than not will price match some of the bigger stores mentioned above.

He's very busy though, so I find it'd best to telephone him to place an order.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 04:41:18 pm by Carmont »

Online newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 08:24:16 pm »
When a new model is announced the retailers might have a clue what price to put on it but, as we all know, it can be up to 3 years (or more) between announcement and arrival in the UK so inevitably prices will have risen. Once they have the item Rails mail you to tell you the up to date price and ask whether you still wish to proceed or cancel. I'm sure other main retailers emulate this practice.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
February Donations

Advertise Here