!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Chassis/bogies for body shell?  (Read 413 times)

Offline Jonathan Prince

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Chassis/bogies for body shell?
« on: February 12, 2018, 12:04:35 am »
Not sure if this is the right section to ask this, but:

I'm looking to make a motorised centre coach for a DMU. I have the shell body of the coach and a few unmotorised bogies, but I need a motor and/or chassis.

What's the best way to go about it? Should I find a motor bogie (if so where?) and make my own chassis, or measure the length of the shell and buy a chassis with bogies attached? I have no experience in building trains, so I'm not expecting it to be perfect!

Any hints appreciated!

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
Re: Chassis/bogies for body shell?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 03:23:48 am »
Tomytec or Greenmax motorized chassis units might be an option, they're available in various sizes and configurations. They are designed for Japanese trains but it's quite possible one might be close to what you're looking for.
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 03:35:05 am »
More detail required. What class of DMU? What is the body shell you have? Old Poole DMU? Newer? What sort of bogies?  :hmmm:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 08:22:17 am »
Another common approach is to use a Graham Farish Class 158 or 170 Chassis (they are the same) and shorten it slightly to fit a MK1 based DMU or EMU using the "Grahame Hedges" method.  These are generally vey smooth running, but fill the coach so you can't have an interior.

Of course, for longer vehicles such as 323 EMU you can use the 158/170 chassis directly.

Here is a relevant thread:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=32029.msg366606#msg366606

Cheers

Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline Jonathan Prince

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 11:05:30 am »
More detail required. What class of DMU? What is the body shell you have? Old Poole DMU? Newer? What sort of bogies?  :hmmm:

Thanks for the reply - it is a very old scratch built body (1st gen DMU is as accurate as I can get!) Measurements are:

Inside length: 118mm
Inside width: 15.5 (one end is 14.5 but I can probably widen that)
Inside minimum height: 15

I found http://thefarishshed.com/chassis/ which looked promising, but I can't find where to buy them - perhaps that is just a catalogue and they're sold elsewhere?

A picture:

Offline PostModN66

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 11:35:45 am »
Gosh Jonathan, that's a tired looking thing; you must really love it to try and want to bring it to life!!!  ;)

TheFarishShed is a website run by a member on here, @DesertHound.  The information is historical.  The supplier of old Farish spares is BR Lines (brlines.co.uk),   but a common approach to getting chassis to to buy them from eBay or off second hand stalls at model shows.   Sometimes it might be worth getting a non-runner, as often the problems are reasonably easily solved (typically split gears which are not too hard to replace), but this depends on how keen you are to tinker with mechanisms.

Cheers Jon  :) 
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 12:19:23 pm »

I (very) strongly recommend you do not go down the Farish chassis route. They are not nearly as good as the Japanese chassis. Motorised N gauge chassis are a Japanese speciality, there are dozens (tempted to say hundreds!) of different types available . Many lengths, different wheelbases etc.

For what you have, one of the 18 metre chassis will probably be best.

There is a very useful website where a chap has listed all the various types with dimensions, and explains the codes used to designate length and bogie wheelbase:

http://www.trainweb.org/tomix/chassis_dim.htm

Plaza Japan is the 'go to' place for these. They very helpfully put a ruler on the chassis image in most cases allowing you to see its length instantly. (it would be useful if they did the height too but they haven't yet.

http://stores.ebay.com/Plaza-Japan/Motorized-Chassis-/_i.html?_fsub=10&_sid=169030440&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

They are in Japan, but buying online from Japan is not onerous.

You have two options:

1) buy from Japan. It is cheaper from source but you usually have to pay Parcelforce as they usually get stuck awaiting your payment of charges (import VAT and 'handling fee'). Occasionally you can be lucky and one will get through but not usually. Even if you ending up paying the charges, the cost will still usually be cheaper than buying from a UK retailer who has already paid the import charge.

2) buy from a UK retailer, eg Plus Daughters carries stock of Japanese chassis.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 12:22:05 pm by Gordon »
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline Jonathan Prince

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 12:55:08 pm »
I (very) strongly recommend you do not go down the Farish chassis route. They are not nearly as good as the Japanese chassis. Motorised N gauge chassis are a Japanese speciality, there are dozens (tempted to say hundreds!) of different types available . Many lengths, different wheelbases etc.

For what you have, one of the 18 metre chassis will probably be best.

There is a very useful website where a chap has listed all the various types with dimensions, and explains the codes used to designate length and bogie wheelbase:

http://www.trainweb.org/tomix/chassis_dim.htm

Plaza Japan is the 'go to' place for these. They very helpfully put a ruler on the chassis image in most cases allowing you to see its length instantly. (it would be useful if they did the height too but they haven't yet.

http://stores.ebay.com/Plaza-Japan/Motorized-Chassis-/_i.html?_fsub=10&_sid=169030440&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

They are in Japan, but buying online from Japan is not onerous.

You have two options:

1) buy from Japan. It is cheaper from source but you usually have to pay Parcelforce as they usually get stuck awaiting your payment of charges (import VAT and 'handling fee'). Occasionally you can be lucky and one will get through but not usually. Even if you ending up paying the charges, the cost will still usually be cheaper than buying from a UK retailer who has already paid the import charge.

2) buy from a UK retailer, eg Plus Daughters carries stock of Japanese chassis.

Thanks - I had looked at the trainweb site and had found one with the right dimensions (TM-06R) but the Japanese had put me off! I'll bookmark the Plaza Japan page and I'll most likely get one from there when finances allow...

Thanks everyone for the help  :)

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 02:24:08 pm »

Thanks - I had looked at the trainweb site and had found one with the right dimensions (TM-06R) but the Japanese had put me off! I'll bookmark the Plaza Japan page and I'll most likely get one from there when finances allow...

Thanks everyone for the help  :)

You will find that not all Tomytec chassis are available at one time.

The best way to check is to go direct to the Japanese web site, Hobby Search:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/list/1218/0/1

Their English pages are easy enough to navigate

European railway expert

Offline PostModN66

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 02:45:12 pm »
I (very) strongly recommend you do not go down the Farish chassis route.

I have found the Farish 158/170 chassis to be excellent (the Chinese version with worms rather than springs); very smooth running and reliable and the wheel spacing on the bogies correct for UK.  And you can adjust the wheelbase within limits.     Japanese ones tend to have small wheels that are too close together. 

You pays your money.....!!

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 03:09:52 pm »
I (very) strongly recommend you do not go down the Farish chassis route.

I have found the Farish 158/170 chassis to be excellent (the Chinese version with worms rather than springs); very smooth running and reliable and the wheel spacing on the bogies correct for UK.  And you can adjust the wheelbase within limits.     Japanese ones tend to have small wheels that are too close together. 

You pays your money.....!!

Too long for the body in question I would say.

The wheelbase of the Japanese chassis can be masked pretty easily IMO, and some versions have a longer wheelbase.

European railway expert

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 04:13:36 pm »
I'm inclined to agree with @PostModN66 with regard to the jap chassis tending to have short wheelbase bogies.  The longest wheelbase bogies I've come across were on an old Tomix Shinkansen powered centre car, which with a bit of fettling made a pretty good substitute for a failed Arnold ICE 3 power car chassis.

I've had a project ongoing for several years  to create a Cisalpino ETR 470 set using bodyshells from DelPrado models (really must get back on the case but that's another story). For this I've used a Farish 170 chassis and lengthened the bogie centres a little. It performs very well. OTOH @Gordon may well be correct that the Farish chassis possibly won't allow adjustment to a short enough bogie centre spacing without making the drive shafts too short to allow the bogies to turn to a decent radius.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 07:27:40 pm »

The Tomytec chassis tend to have short wheelbase bogies but there are other chassis available, especially Greenmax, with longer wheelbase.

But I recommended Tomytec because the body the OP showed us is similar to the Japanese railcar coaches.

European railway expert

Offline Jonathan Prince

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 07:55:38 pm »
The Tomytec chassis tend to have short wheelbase bogies but there are other chassis available, especially Greenmax, with longer wheelbase.

But I recommended Tomytec because the body the OP showed us is similar to the Japanese railcar coaches.
I'll probably go for Tomytec - it seems quite cheap and I'm not too fussed about wheelbases - as long as it runs I'm satisfied!

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything