!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Crowd funding a BR (SR) King Arthur /S15 class or Bulleid BCK coach  (Read 383 times)

Offline CeeDee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5712
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Anyone else here feeling frustrated with the lack of mainline Southern locos. A King Arthur / S15 would be superb addition as these locos were so widely used.

Secondly, again, as a result of a lack of a truly iconic coach: a Bulleid Brake Comp Corridor which graced the West of England lines for many years and formed the backbone of a winter Atlantic Coast Express (ACE) - to say nothing of the 2-sets "R" which, again, graced the ACE during the summer months.

Crowdfunding project anyone????
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 07:40:11 pm by CeeDee, Reason: high lighting »

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
Re: Crowd funding a BR (SR) King Arthur /S15 class or Bulleid BCK coach
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 07:53:32 pm »
There are white metal kits for both, but not great unless you put a lot of work into them.  I'm going to build both soon (at the same time) for my Golden Arrow and boat train Pullman rakes.

Offline CeeDee

• Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 08:21:03 pm »
There are white metal kits for both, but not great unless you put a lot of work into them.  I'm going to build both soon (at the same time) for my Golden Arrow and boat train Pullman rakes.

Yes indeed, I have built a number BCKs for two of my ACEs, some for the 2-sets "R" and five for  loose BCKs. However, when I compare my efforts with the Bachmann Bulleids.... no contest!   I also have an S15 but its on a Fleischman chassis and not a good runner especially under DCC.  That's why I am hoping others might want to club together and fund a decent loco.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 08:33:07 pm by CeeDee, Reason: corrections »

Offline Stuart Down Under

• N Gauge Society Number: 3354
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 09:15:01 pm »
I'd be up for a couple of King Arthurs and a bunch of BCKs!
 :thumbsup:

Offline JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 09:51:48 pm »
I'd be interested in both especially as I won't be shelling out for any Bulleid light pacifics any time soon.  ::)

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 12:23:06 pm »
There were 4 versions of the Arthur, original Urie with LSWR cab and Urie 8 wheel tender, Maunsell  "Eastleigh" LSWR cab and Drummond 8 wheel watercart tender, "Maunsell "Scotch" SR cab Urie 8 wheel tender and a final batch from Eastleigh withe 6 wheel tenders for lines with smaller turntables.
There were also 3 versions of the S15, Urie with LSWR cab, Munsell with SR cab some with 8 wheel tenders some with 6 wheel tenders, in addition between the mid 1930s and 50s some had Drummond watercart tenders from scrapped C8 class their own 8 wheel Urie ones going to N15X  class - rebuilds of Remembrance class tanks to 4-6-0s.

So which version(s) do we want?

I've quite a few H15, N15 and S15 from kits and bashed some to give Maunsell versions with the composite loading gauge cab roofs and other details, also do  swaps with the Langley or BHE tenders;  the H15s use a Minitrix chassis which has drivers scaling to 6'; the N15 kits look dreadful on the intended Farish Chassis, I've used Peco Jubilee chassis with Union Mills tender drives + an extra pair of wheels.

The Tender drive from the Minitrix 4-6-0 will fit into the BHE N5 tender body with either a lot of filing or making slightly wider ends; the 4-6-0 chassis also needs a bit of work on the valve gear, ideally change the valve gear for a set from the Fleischmann 7160 or 7161 (availaqble as a spare)

As there are currently no RTR SR 4-6-0s  we really need to twist the arms of Farish and/or Dapol
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 12:26:11 pm by Dorsetmike »
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 03:20:51 pm »
We havenít even got a West Country either rebuilt or unrebuilt. These were so much more widely used than the currently available Merchant Navy. I would be more interested in crowdfunding for one of these.

Offline JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 06:16:15 pm »
I agree in as much as a rebuilt WC (or half a dozen of them  :D) would be my preference but is there still some likelihood that Dapol may yet build them? If there is, wouldn't that affect the viability of any alternative supply source somewhat?

My understanding was that they have paused them but not actually definitely stopped them. I stand to be corrected on this though as I don't follow all the trade news.

I have a couple of the old GF air smoothed BoBs which although are a little lacking by current standards, are, along with a couple of old GF rebuilt MNs and a class 5 representing my Southern Region mainline loco fleet at present.

But I want more!  :bounce:

Offline CeeDee

• Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 08:11:02 pm »
There were 4 versions of the Arthur, original Urie with LSWR cab and Urie 8 wheel tender, Maunsell  "Eastleigh" LSWR cab and Drummond 8 wheel watercart tender, "Maunsell "Scotch" SR cab Urie 8 wheel tender and a final batch from Eastleigh withe 6 wheel tenders for lines with smaller turntables.
There were also 3 versions of the S15, Urie with LSWR cab, Munsell with SR cab some with 8 wheel tenders some with 6 wheel tenders, in addition between the mid 1930s and 50s some had Drummond watercart tenders from scrapped C8 class their own 8 wheel Urie ones going to N15X  class - rebuilds of Remembrance class tanks to 4-6-0s.

So which version(s) do we want?

I've quite a few H15, N15 and S15 from kits and bashed some to give Maunsell versions with the composite loading gauge cab roofs and other details, also do  swaps with the Langley or BHE tenders;  the H15s use a Minitrix chassis which has drivers scaling to 6'; the N15 kits look dreadful on the intended Farish Chassis, I've used Peco Jubilee chassis with Union Mills tender drives + an extra pair of wheels.

The Tender drive from the Minitrix 4-6-0 will fit into the BHE N5 tender body with either a lot of filing or making slightly wider ends; the 4-6-0 chassis also needs a bit of work on the valve gear, ideally change the valve gear for a set from the Fleischmann 7160 or 7161 (available as a spare)

As there are currently no RTR SR 4-6-0s  we really need to twist the arms of Farish and/or Dapol

The best we can hope for is any N15/S15 type which were running throughout BR days in large numbers. These will represent the 'popular' choice and hence sell well.   BR era seems to be the most popular judging by the poll on Dapol's website.

Offline CeeDee

• Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 08:17:35 pm »
I agree in as much as a rebuilt WC (or half a dozen of them  :D) would be my preference but is there still some likelihood that Dapol may yet build them? If there is, wouldn't that affect the viability of any alternative supply source somewhat?

My understanding was that they have paused them but not actually definitely stopped them. I stand to be corrected on this though as I don't follow all the trade news.

I have a couple of the old GF air smoothed BoBs which although are a little lacking by current standards, are, along with a couple of old GF rebuilt MNs and a class 5 representing my Southern Region mainline loco fleet at present.

But I want more!  :bounce:

Oh, without any doubt...totally agree.  I was down to purchase five of Dapol's promised Bobs and WCs but of course that project went south..... I am modelling a fictitious mainline station in summer 1959 through which the west of England services travelled with branch line traffic to a small resort.   Thus these locos are central to the whole affair!  However, as the Arthurs and the S15s were also used extensively, these would provide variety.  I want a couple for my Meldon Quarry ballast trains.....  :(

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 08:28:53 pm »
Just a thought, what's the likely viability of having alternative cabs, LSWR and SR, the rest of the loco looks close enough for either version, the only version that might be less likely to be produced would be the "rebuilds" of Drummond G14 4-6-0s 448-457 having Watercart tenders.
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
February Donations

Advertise Here