!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Crowdfunding BR (SR) West Country / Battle of Britain Classes  (Read 1119 times)

Offline leachsprite4

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
Re: Crowdfunding BR (SR) West Country / Battle of Britain Classes
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2018, 11:09:15 am »
Being more positive dapol wanted a coreless motor in it so the question is does the class 68 have a coreless motor in it?

Offline Roy L S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2018, 11:12:14 am »
Indeed, unnumbered models are mentioned often as something people would buy and in theory at least sound a good idea. The reality though is that they don't sell and end up in the bargain lists. I don't think any manufacturer will entertain the idea now.

Roy

Offline CliveH

• N Gauge Society Number: 20425
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2018, 12:08:26 pm »
I can see why a blank loco wouldn't sell, and the attractiveness of having DIY numbers would very much depend on the quality and ease of application of the stickers / decals.
To my mind there would be a 'base' loco - e.g 34001 Exeter - for those for whom any modification of a model strikes them into fear and trepidation. Any replacement cab side decals would have to be of comparable quality to the original, totally opaque and include fully matched base colour (any possibly lining) to avoid any clear film issues. Nameplate assemblies should be easily removable, and replacements should be of similar (or better?) quality. For a loco that's going to be around 150 ish I would have thought that 20 - 25 for an alternative identity indistinguishable in quality from the original would be fair enough.

Cheers

Offline DavidE257

• N Gauge Society Number: 20629
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2018, 12:25:52 pm »
The crests wouldn't even need changing if the alternative 'West Countries' were named after towns in the same County! The BoBs used the same RAF crest, I think, if they were named after Squadrons...the only real oddity was Sir Eustace Missenden...

BTW, If I were in the business of making N-Gauge steam locos I'd be thinking of something along the lines of the Hornby 'Railroad' series i.e. keep it simple, and the production costs down. I'd be using a standard tender drive along the lines of the PECO/Rivarossi and Union Mills offerings, trying to make it as smooth and reliable as possible...

The actual basic level of detail shouldn't be too difficult with modern methods, I'd probably leave out some of the really fiddly detail as production costs are being pushed up by lots of hand assembly these days. The ultra-purists may not like it, but 'needs must'...

Put it this way if Dapol or Bachmann don't someone else probably will. Probably not Hornby/Arnold as they're in dire straights financially again. I wonder if the Kato family visiting PECO recently is significant?

Offline CliveH

• N Gauge Society Number: 20425
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2018, 01:01:06 pm »
The crests wouldn't even need changing if the alternative 'West Countries' were named after towns in the same County! The BoBs used the same RAF crest, I think, if they were named after Squadrons...the only real oddity was Sir Eustace Missenden...

Without boring you with details, but there are multiple shields / crests. Several WCs named after Cornwall towns without their own shield used the county shield (Yeovil used Somerset's - Sidmouth and Dartmoor used Devon's). A few BoBs used the RAF crest, but most WCs with a shield used one related to the town, and the BBs used the squadron or a family crests as relevant.

Cheers
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 01:05:40 pm by CliveH »

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here
anything