Peco wagons.

Started by Stanier fan, February 09, 2018, 02:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnN

Quote from: Chris Morris on February 09, 2018, 07:39:15 AM
I do like to support Peco as they kept their manufacturing in the UK and they are good products.
As a neighbour of Peco's, relatively speaking, I very much concur with this as they are an important employer in the area.

Bealman

The applied livery is superb on all of their wagons.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

NinOz

Quote from: MalcolmAL on February 09, 2018, 02:28:07 AM
Oh dear, if that is true I think we can probably then expect a huge price rise ?
I am a big fan of the present Peco range, it suits my unsophisticated needs economically.

All power to those who need ultimate detail and perfection ( and who have the eyes, and knowledge, to see it )

but

but fairynuf if they plan to offer two ranges ? Doubt it.
Just think of the possibility of all that second hand stuff becoming available as people dump the old inaccurate non-nem PECO in favour of the new stuff! :drool:
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Bealman on February 09, 2018, 05:59:56 AM
That's another positive, although I have seen a video of their magnetic lift arms working perfectly with their Elsie couplings.
Yes they do, that is what I use, no need of NEM here.
I admit to rule #1, I top and tail Farish rakes with a Peco wagon cos the elsie works so well :) saves a loada messing. And it is all Peco on my Inglenook shunter.

Quote from: NeMo on February 09, 2018, 06:22:11 AM
Agreed. The kits are probably the best for beginners,
Agreed, I've only been into model rail since Dublo 3-rail.
So I dont know what I am doing yet.

Quote from: NinOz on February 09, 2018, 11:21:53 AM
Just think of the possibility of all that second hand stuff becoming available as people dump the old inaccurate non-nem PECO in favour of the new stuff! :drool:
:laughabovepost:  :claphappy:   ;D

MalcolmInN

Quote from: MalcolmAL on February 09, 2018, 12:29:24 PM
Quote from: Bealman on February 09, 2018, 05:59:56 AM
of their magnetic lift arms
Yes they do, that is what I use,
Correction : only my early ones use their lift arms, now I use that principle but with the wire out of plastic bag ties.

NeMo

Quote from: MalcolmAL on February 09, 2018, 12:29:24 PM
Agreed, I've only been into model rail since Dublo 3-rail.

Never heard of it. Is it a new Kickstarter thingy that models Southern EMUs then?

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

MalcolmInN

Quote from: NeMo on February 09, 2018, 12:37:12 PM
Never heard of it. Is it a new Kickstarter thingy that models Southern EMUs then?
:laughabovepost:
Southern what ? !
only LMS & LNER here :)

elmo

I very much hope that they retain the elsie coupling. The couple up with the merest of a touch and uncouple easily with magnets. I find NEM a pain and if I have to buy a wagon with them I cut them off and replace with a peco coupling box.

Bingley Hall

Quote from: Bealman on February 09, 2018, 02:37:05 AM
Well, you do have a point there, the low cost (especially the kits) is one of their more attractive features.

I've always thought that a long train of Peco mineral wagons looks perfectly acceptable, as does a long train of their fish wagons.

I was never a big fan of their grain wagons though - the ones with the sticky labels on them that fall off.

Having seen the grain wagons in real life, I'm quite happy with mine. The fact that the labels fell of was just as well as I can't remember ever seeing any with the Whisky branding on the sides.

I would be even happier with this news if they announced some new models to cover some of the major freight rolling stock gaps, especially in the 60s and 70s time frame.

While we are on the subject of Peco wagons - are there any pop-in metal wheel replacements on the market?

keithfre

But will it happen in our lifetime? There's stuff in the 80s catalogue (stone Manyways station building for instance) that they still haven't produced...

twinklekev

I'm just going to echo the sentiments of everybody else here. A large (very large) part of my mineral wagon fleet is made up of Peco 7 plank wagons. Couldn't have done it any other way.

What would be nice is if they were to produce a chassis with 8-shoe brakes as used by the LMS and LNER on their fitted wagons. I do feel that this is a huge gap that needs plugging and I'm not upto finescale etched brass chassis construction these days. I know, should go to specsavers  :D

Twinklekev

Jerry Howlett

As I am just buying a few more Peco kits I have to agree with most, they provide a cheap "train filler" and also give a hark back to the days of Airfix Kits, assemble and paint.

As for metal wheel sets I am using Farish wheel sets, just have to give the existing holes a little extra room with a tiny drill. 0.25mm  I think.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

rogerdB

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on February 10, 2018, 03:34:05 PM
As for metal wheel sets I am using Farish wheel sets, just have to give the existing holes a little extra room with a tiny drill. 0.25mm  I think.
Jerry

I fitted Farish wheels to my minerals this morning. Didn't find it necessary to drill. As suggested elsewhere on the forum all that is needed is to squeeze in on the axle boxes with thumb and forefinger and they then run beautifully. The kits are great value for money, I think.

Rabbitaway

I have never had any problems with the standard Peco plastic wheels

twinklekev

I too have used the latest Farish metal wheels with no problems whatsoever. And they look sooooo good too.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations