Dapol "Flying Scotsman" Set

Started by Phoenix, February 05, 2018, 04:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Just a little more info. Farish brought out 46443 presumably because it is a preserved 2MT residing at present, I believe, on the Severn Valley Railway.

Phoenix

Hi Mick,

Many thanks for that info Mick. It is always useful to know a bit about what you are modelling.

I subscribe to a few YouTube channels, some War-Gaming ones to give me help on my scenery, and some Railway ones.

One of the Railway ones I really enjoy is "Simons Shed" .... and he is modelling the Severn Valley, or at least part of it, calling it the Shed Valley Railway  :D

All best wishes
Kevin.

PS Hope your back problems are easing off

:beers:

JohnN

I follow Simon too, from Bodnam Woods through to the SVR. Everard Junction is another good one. Although it's OO, he's a very good modeller and ultimately most of his content is transferrable across the gauges/scales.

And a lot of the war gaming guys are very good scenery modellers. Having a foot in both the IPMS and railway camps, there is an awful lot of skills and ideas that modellers in general can transfer across the various disciplines.

Although I digress slightly, apologies. At least now I have an inkling of what you alluded to on the Windmill Hill thread.  :)

Phoenix

Hi John,

You are so right, we can learn so much from modellers in different disciplines, although ......

:NGF:

And Simon has a great channel, as does Everard Junction, who has been very brave in ripping it all up and starting again, and who's name I cannot say without having a little giggle and thinking of Larry Grayson  :D :D :D

All best wishes
Kevin

Papyrus

Quote from: PostModN66 on February 06, 2018, 08:59:44 AM

Firstly, the one draw-back of using a door is that you can't easily use conventional point motors mounted under the track.  This is not a problem for me as I don't like this system; I would use wire-in-tube, (or on Deansmoor point motors above the board hidden by scenery).  It's just something you need to work out at an early stage.  Doors are brilliant in almost every other respect!

The second thing is that the size is just big enough to have a double track mainline (which I assume you would want for Flying Scotsman).  I enjoy this constraint as it gives a planning challenge.  On Deansmoor, at one end the mainline curves are R1 and R2 (9 in and 10.5 inch) which as the board is 30" wide gives a 7" or so margin to the edge of the baseboard.  If you use wider radius curves the track will of course be forced nearer the baseboard edge which is a less satisfying look.

Using a tighter radius for the hidden parts gives you the scope to have a wider radius on the visible curves and therefore have a pleasing transition, rather than ruler-straight track changing to a harsh constant-radius turn.

So you have some choices:

You could have R1/R2 curves, nice transitions, and accept that some bigger steam locos would only run on the outside line
You could have R2/R3 and accept tracks nearer the edge (but still, say 4" away) more limited transitions
You could have luxurious R3/R4 which would provide the best running but pretty much the track would be up against the edge of the board, no scope for transitional curves.

I would suggest that you do get the Flying Scotsman before you advance your plans to far and test it on some different track radii. 

For some people the challenges of door size would be unsatisfactory; but on your Windmill Hill layout you have used tight radii and minimum space thinking, so I reckon a door-sized layout might just be up your street.  I would love to see what you would do with one, so I would encourage you to do it!

I agree with all of the above! My first two layouts were on doors and they proved to be solid and stable baseboards. The first one was where I made all my mistakes... the second one was better but I made different mistakes. The only reason I am not using one for my latest project is that I can't fit one into the space available. I would add that a door layout is just about portable with two people if that is a requirement.

Good luck!

Chris

Jimbo

Dapol did a RTR 45xx tank in Black with BRITISH RAILWAYS on the tank sides...
'Keep it country!'

'Head in the clouds, feet in the mud!'

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations