!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Fying Scotsman NRM heritage  (Read 484 times)

Offline Fredastaire

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Fying Scotsman NRM heritage
« on: February 04, 2018, 10:13:39 am »
Ive had a Farish Flying Scotsman as 60103 in Brunswick Green for a while and always run it with a second tender (water tank conversion of my construction) because its different.
I got tempted and bought another Scotsman on ebay as non runner because it is in the Apple Green, deflectors LNER etc.
Ive stripped it and removed the oil gunge of the commutator, scrupulously cleaned everything, the brushes barely have a mark from the factory 'flat face' so its done nothing in real terms of running life. Ive completed by adding Tender contacts. Puzzled that the black motor cradle is superglued at its back end to the chassis from new and not crimped, I tried crimping but the base metal cracked so I re-superglued.
So next out came my bits box to make the matching water tender, ive a new apple green tender body from BR Lines but immediate notice the colour is lighter, then I notice that there are extra detail white lines all over my new loco, so back to the 'new' Scotsman box; its labelled as NRM Heritage range.
Is there something special about the 'NRM' Heritage edition?, has anybody seen the superglued motor cradles? I'm now to ask Bob at BR Lines if by any chance he has an NRM matching tender body so I can still make a water tender, ie one with both the right colour and the white extra detail coach lines.

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: Fying Scotsman NRM heritage
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 11:14:21 pm »
has anybody seen the superglued motor cradles?

Common on Bachfarish - presumably they realised too that whatever Mazak they are using, it's more brittle than the original, so pinching these to hold the armature cradles does not work.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 03:31:34 pm »
Bob at BR Lines has replied, he doesnt have any tender bodies of this darker shade. I'm now wondering whether to make a water tender from the Apple Green that I have already or whether to sell this Scotsman and look for another in the standard farish apple green. Has anybody paintmatched this darker apple green of the NRM edition?
Kind regards to all

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 04:04:53 pm »
@Atso is your LNER expert so maybe he can help.

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 08:17:52 pm »
or you could repaint the second tender in rail blue and grey as was done to the original for a while

HTH

Alex

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 09:12:59 pm »
In which case HTH stands for 'Heresy, True Heresy' :telloff: ;)

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 09:14:35 am »
I use Precision LNER Doncaster (gloss) green for my own models and it isn't a bad match for Dapols interpration of the colour on their A3s but can't comment on the Bachmann Farish version. I suspect that the later Bachman Farish model is more accurate in colour than the earlier version.

However, I don't recall Scotsman running with two tenders with smoke deflectors or double chimney in LNER livery. In this respect I think the earlier (Poole era) Farish LNER green Scotsman would be more accurate (although the colour is suspect). More recently the restored water tender has been seen behind Bittern painted in Garter blue.

Scotsman's various guises over the years is a bit of a minefield - I've backdated on into an approximation of its A1 condition in the 1930s and, despite making a lot of modifications (I.e. removing the superheater covers and making it right hand drive) the cab is still incorrect!

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here
anything