!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: DJ Models class 17 Clayton  (Read 7411 times)

Online Lindi

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: DJ Models class 17 Clayton
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2018, 12:42:13 pm »
The 1966 Combined Volume shows 8500-8587 as red diamond and 8588-8616 as blue star.

I think it was always thus.

That may be the source of the misinformation that is reported about Class 17

The photo in my above post clearly shows D8600 with red diamond in 1970. Even BR would not have removed a standard blue star multiple working with a non standard orange square multiple working

I'm aware that most of the Class were allocated to Scotland & NE England but a few were allocated to the Sheffield area.

I can't find any reference to them working south of Sheffield to the East Midlands (Nottingham/Leicester/Derby etc.). Does anyone have info that suggest that they were seen this far south?

Allocated to Barrow Hill, so would have ventured onwards to Toton i’d Have imagined, possibly a lot further afield than that too.

The allocation to the Eastern Region was from D8604 which was delivered in late 1964. The Class 17's were initially allocated to Sheffield Tinsley depot and then to Barrow Hill once it had the facilities to maintain diesel engines. They were used on Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire coal trips. By July 1966 all of the Eastern Region allocation had been transferred to Haymarket

D8607 outside Barrow Hill roundhouse in 1966

Class17's and a Class 30 inside Barrow Hill roundhouse

In the book British Rail Standard Diesels of the 1960's (David N Clough) there is a picture on page 19 of a Class 17 at Ireland Colliery, Staveley in 1965

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2018, 01:13:04 pm »
'British Rail fleet survey vol 4' by B Haresnape has a photo of at least five in St Andrew's yard, DERBY.

Unfortunately, they were stored before even being released to traffic, prior to investigation of faults.

I do remember seeing one in a private yard in Hemel Hempstead around 1974/75. I may even have a long lost photo somewhere.......

Martyn

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2018, 01:20:16 pm »
I think Dave will need to provide some rub down transfers of red diamonds and blue stars and we can all add what we think is correct.  :)

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2018, 01:24:35 pm »
Or Fox may be busy.....

Martyn

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2018, 07:22:40 pm »
DJ invoices are out this morning, looking forward to progress.

Just paid mine. Definitely looking forward to this, even though not especially useful on my usual West Country layouts.  ;)

I've ordered the weathered one. I'm assuming that if he's using a Mercig master, it'll have a bit more than a blow-over with an airbrush.  :hmmm:

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Carmont

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2018, 07:25:34 pm »
I think Dave will need to provide some rub down transfers of red diamonds and blue stars and we can all add what we think is correct.  :)

In some cases, where the control equipment was changed, the blue star was painted/decaled (not a word, I know) over the top of the red diamond! #prototypeforeverything

Offline Dalek

• N Gauge Society Number: 24836
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2018, 10:30:30 pm »
So now this is a goer.... who's doing the sound for one ?

Craig

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2018, 10:42:31 pm »
So now this is a goer.... who's doing the sound for one ?

Craig

"Chinnor & Princes Risborough Railway has undertaken the recording of railway locomotives used on its line, and preparing a Loksound V4.0 chip using these recordings for sale to railway modellers using DCC and sound. The first three of these have been available for a number of months now. Recordings have been taken from GWR 1366 Class pannier, the BR 08 Vac only Diesel shunter D3018 "Haversham" and BR Class 17 Clayton D8511".

A micro Locksound chip should do it.

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2018, 03:54:12 pm »
Wish I could find a 17 down Oxford way as I think they are quite cute.    ::)  :angel:

Offline Thorpe Parva

• N Gauge Society Number: 21786
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2018, 06:19:43 pm »
Wish I could find a 17 down Oxford way as I think they are quite cute.    ::)  :angel:

Same here, I'm trying to find out if they ever made it to Leicester. So far it doesn't look like it as the Tinsley/Barrow Hill Locos appeared to either be out of service or on trip workings to local collieries. However I'm continuing to investigate. If no success then after the models are delivered maybe I'll look for an unpowered model on ebay and have it loco-hauled on it's way to the scrap yard!

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2018, 06:29:10 pm »

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2018, 06:52:22 pm »
Gratuitous footage of my local Class 17, taken when visiting the Princes Risborough and Chinnor Railway last summer. It was here tailing a train fronted by a Pannier tank, hence the rather unusual (for a diesel) whistle part of the way through. Nonetheless, lots of nice Paxman music if that's your thing!

Strangely enough, this loco worked a few miles from where I live, up at the Hemelite works near Hemel Hempstead, where it was used for heavy shunting. Some time later it ended up working at Ribble Cement. But for this bizarre afterlife, this loco might never have made it into preservation.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2018, 09:52:11 am »
Blimey, Neil. That sounds like a right old bag of spanners. No wonder they were unreliable beasties!

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2018, 10:06:29 am »
Blimey, Neil. That sounds like a right old bag of spanners. No wonder they were unreliable beasties!

Indeed! But it's a regular performer at Chinnor, and by all accounts acquits itself well. Preventive maintenance is apparently in order with this class, and the DTG believe that this approach should have been taken by BR if they wanted to the class to behave itself. On the other hand, it's hardly overworked, and apparently works one-engine-only a lot of the time, making it very economical compared with standard big diesels.

Regardless, I can hear the definite whistle of the HST's Paxman 'Ventura' engines in the Class 17, particularly as it picks up speed.

By the way, the Chinnor railway is well worth a visit. As well as the ride out-and-back (which takes about an hour) there are some really good places to take photos, particularly this level crossing at the end of a short path. All the trains stop here, so the guard can open and close the crossing, making it easy to get these lovely close-up lineside shots. For sure there's not a huge variety of traction at Chinnor, but the 'Clayton' is literally unique, which more than makes up for the otherwise commonplace assortment of industrial tank engines and 08 shunters.

Cheers, NeMo

Online Lindi

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2018, 11:57:50 am »
Background information about the Hemelite purchase of a clayton

http://www.nickey-line.co.uk/THEHEMELITEBRANCH.pdf

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00