!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tregonning - Layout in a (Largish) case  (Read 2804 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Layout in a (Largish) case
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2018, 02:22:50 pm »
Thanks, Martin. One side (the right-hand side?) will need a tunnel / overbridge / cutting to hide the fact that it is an oval not a single line going off in two directions at each end.

At the bottom you need to allow either for a platform or, if using an island platform, a subway or footbridge access to the platform. As you know, both the GWR and SR had examples of the unusual island platform on branchlines. A road overbridge at the righthand corner could provide both a scenic break and access to the station yard and village (rather than a town) or even just the Station Pub, like Halwill Junction? The upmarket country hotel could be up the hill to the left. If you're having a hill and tunnel on that side.

If an ex-GWR line, I'd add a catchpoint (the GWR installed them whilst the LSWR did not) after the siding point and before the point leading to the 'main' line. A simple short-radius L/H point would do. It could even be used as a 'cripple siding' for a wagon or two awaiting repair.

You could consider either: a) the line was engineered for double-track which was never laid or b) was built as broad gauge, either of which would explain the wide central station platform?

A very small loco. shed could be added at the end of the station siding to the left.

A stream, with a ford and / or a duck pond could look good.

Offline Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2018, 03:10:43 pm »
This looks marvellous, Martin - my kind of layout and exactly my kind of track planning.  I agree completely about going round in circles with a minimum of shunting; that's my favoured approach as well.

As for comments:

The turnout on the curve leading to a tunnel going nowhere is, perhaps, inviting derailments and suchlike on the points for no operational benefit.  If the tunnel was fenced off and the track overgrown (sad, I know) there would still be the scenic opportunities, but no need for the turnout.  The story would be the P Way people 'plain lined' it.  For your 1958-1962 era, this would be plausible, I think.

To me, the layout is calling out for two trains: one passenger and one goods.  As a 'minimum shunting' layout, would there be a way to use a siding to hide the passenger train while the goods train is out on the line?  The goods train can be hidden in plain sight in a goods siding whilst the passenger train is in use.   

It's maybe an optical illusion but the curves do not look like uniform No1 radius (some parts are of course - for the points).  Are there some No2 radius curves as well?  If so, could there be an inside curved siding hidden in a tunnel (Chris [IP] suggested a tunnel as a scenic break, which is a really nice idea)?

If not, could the passenger train be hidden in plain sight as well?  I recall seeing a photograph of Colyton station with ECS in the goods yard.  There was no room at Seaton, so it was shunted out of the way at Colyton.

This has the makings of a terrific layout.

With all best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2018, 03:33:36 pm »
On the North Cornwall line, goods trains were shunted into goods sidings to allow passenger trains to pass. The long siding plus the track to the 'main' line point should be long enough for that.

Re: the point on a curve, you'd have to run various trains at realistically slow speeds, first, to see if any derailed.

The long siding could have a cattle dock cum goods loading platform with sloping ramp  to the yard that could also be used for racehorse traffic to the (off layout) stately home?

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2018, 07:21:42 pm »
Thanks everyone.
Chris - Iím undecided about tunnels at the moment. We shall see but scenic breaks are indeed important.
The station is only a suggestion at the moment. It will develop as I lay track.
John - donít worry about the curves. Itís only a mock up with odds and ends I have laying around. I have to pop to the model shop in a day or so to buy a few more curves (plus some rail joiners as Iím running out).

As for the point on the bend. I share your concerns but I do have a similar situation (off scene) on the link between Port Perran and Trepol Bay which works just fine.  I shall run plenty of test trains before finalising things.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2018, 08:17:13 pm »
I think I'd have a passing loop in the station. I know it won't be very long but it's not a layout for long trains!
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2018, 08:38:43 pm »
As not many stations on the North Cornwall line (to keep construction and operating costs down) had a passing loop, goods trains were shunted into goods sidings to allow passenger trains to pass. Passing loops were only provided when passenger trains were timetabled to pass. So, it depends on how busy Martin's line will be?

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2018, 08:42:48 pm »
Not sure how much height you have to play with Martin, but it would be good if you could fit in a river and bridge (left of centre at the rear, to avoid the creamery?)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2018, 08:56:04 pm »
River water could be pumped through a heat exchanger to cool the milk.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2018, 11:29:21 am »
I think I'd have a passing loop in the station. I know it won't be very long but it's not a layout for long trains!
Itís a good suggestion Brian and one which, operationally, I favour. But, Iíve been trying it out and really, there is not enough room.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2018, 05:25:47 pm »
Well, it does work :
https://youtu.be/rMQDFe8PydY
Track is only loosely laid at the moment. Iím still mulling things over. I wonder if I should try to get some of the outer track a bit further away from the edge?
That would make it more like a railway in the scenery but it would make it difficult to fit in I think.
My Layouts -

Offline JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2018, 05:34:27 pm »
Looking good.  :thumbsup:

At least you won't have to worry about locos taking a plunge if they derail.  :P

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2018, 06:09:34 pm »
Nice one!  :thumbsup: Another suggestion. :doh: Rotate the track through 180 degrees, make a little more of the station. Would set track curved points allow a  passing loop? Cover the track on the handle side and just have the station visible, I presume the top doesn't come off. I've got some spare track and points and wondering if to do something similar so you are my mentor at the moment. :admiration:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2018, 06:16:02 pm »
Nice one!  :thumbsup: Another suggestion. :doh: Rotate the track through 180 degrees, make a little more of the station. Would set track curved points allow a  passing loop? Cover the track on the handle side and just have the station visible, I presume the top doesn't come off. I've got some spare track and points and wondering if to do something similar so you are my mentor at the moment. :admiration:
Thanks Brian. Iím wanting to make the creamery a feature so I would like to keep that accessed from the top if possible.
Essentially, itís an exercise in scenics rather than exploiting train operation to a maximum. Iím happy for trains to run round.
As for the station, everyone does stations (and I,íve already got two on Port Perran and Trepol Bay) so Iíd like the station to be a minor feature.
I have an idea as to whatís going where scenic wise but Iím not rushing into a final track plan. Iíll sleep on it for a day or  so.
Thanks for the suggestions though.
No the lid doesnít come off (at least not easily) . A backscene will go on there in due course.

My Layouts -

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2018, 06:41:46 pm »
This is looking very interesting, Martin.

I look forward to seeing how your approach to the various compromises required.

Thank you and best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2018, 06:48:53 pm »
This is looking very interesting, Martin.

I look forward to seeing how your approach to the various compromises required.

Thank you and best wishes.

John
Thanks John.
Yes, itís all about compromises indeed. Iím very conscious of trying not to overdo it. I really feel that the creamery must be the centrepiece and I have a very clear idea of what it will look like.
I shall sleep on it tonight before making any final decisions re the track plan.
My Layouts -

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
February Donations

Advertise Here