!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: How to convert a Union Mills 0-6-0 Collett to accept Dapol EasiShunt couplings  (Read 496 times)

Online Caz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
How to modify a Union Mills Collett loco to accept Dapol EasiShunt couplings, should work with similar Union Mills locos. (This is irreversible so do at your own risk)

Loco with keeper plate removed to expose the existing Rapido coupling.

Remove coupling and spring and then cut the spring in half using cutters or scissors.

Clean the end of the keeper plate and scratch a mark 3.5mm from the shoulder of keeper plate as shown.  This will ensure the spring is located in the correct place.

Glue the half spring in place using superglue. Put aside to dry.

You need to open out the throat of the coupling pocket to accept the wider Dapol EasiShunt shank.  Use a small old craft knife start at the top and carefully pare it down making it slightly wider at the bottom as it helps retain the new coupling in place prior to refitting the keeper plate and spring.

DON’T try and do the cutting in one go as if you make it too wide the coupling will fall out, little by little with a slight undercut at the base checking the fit as you go.

It should end up like this

Refit wheels and keeper plate with its new coupler retaining spring, job done.

Same for the tender, remove keeper plate, save the spring in case you lose the other half you already have, clean the keeper plate where the spring is to be glued. Glue spring in place and put to one side to allow glue to set.

Same as loco, open out the coupler pocket to accept the Dapol EasiShunt, don’t forget, pare away little by little so you don’t take to much off, check shank fits into the bottom of the coupler pocket ok.
Fit coupling and refit keeper plate with its retention spring, again job done.

Think I've covered everything, let me know if I've missed something.   :)

Offline SheldonC

• N Gauge Society Number: 24370
    • Awards
 :thankyousign:
Doesn't look very risky, unless you're as ham-fisted as I am; did I miss something about it being non-reversible?  Are you sure that you would not be able to replace the springs with spares from Farish to reinstate the old coupling?

Online Caz

• Twitter
    • YouTube
You could probably replace the spring and do that but the Rapido coupling would be very floppy in the pocket without some sort of reinstatement of the pocket walls I'd have thought.   :-\

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Jut a thought - couldn't you file down the coupling shank rather than the pocket walls and thereby make the conversion reversible?

Just a thought coming from many years of hacking couplings about!

Cheers Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Online Caz

• Twitter
    • YouTube
Yes you could do that Jon, I did exactly that when I converted the Peco version but not so happy with it, the shank is then very delicate and a bit floppy, you pays your money and takes your choice  :)

Offline SheldonC

• N Gauge Society Number: 24370
    • Awards
Jut a thought - couldn't you file down the coupling shank rather than the pocket walls and thereby make the conversion reversible?

Just a thought coming from many years of hacking couplings about!

A bit of both, perhaps?

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Yes you could do that Jon, I did exactly that when I converted the Peco version but not so happy with it, the shank is then very delicate and a bit floppy, you pays your money and takes your choice  :)

Good point.  Wouldn't it be nice if couplings were a universal fit!   ::)

“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
February Donations

Advertise Here