!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New Member from Portugal  (Read 872 times)

Offline Miguelcarmor

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: New Member from Portugal
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 07:59:54 am »
You could do worse than start with Kato Unitrack? Excellent for beginners, DCC friendly , and good resale value!!

I'm looking to start a small test layout
 - Train Set, if so, which one...

A lot depends on how much you have, (want  ;)), to spend. In general, the 'starter' sets are usually good value, in that you get some track, a controller, an engine and a couple of wagons/carriages. I started with the Farish 'Coal' set, (like this - http://www.ashfordmodel.co.uk/graham-farish-370-080-countryside-coal-digital-train-set-2907-p.asp )
There are plenty of suppliers out there, with prices that do vary a bit, so you need to look around. This was an excellent way for me to get the DCC bug! However, after making my first 4' x 2' layout, I moved on to Kato Unitrack, which I think is brilliant, but each to his/her own.  :beers:

If you want to go straight to Unitrack, have a look at what Keith has to offer at Train Trax. However, you would need a DCC controller and a DCC fitted loco'!
https://www.traintrax.co.uk/starter-sets-gauge-c-10.html

the graham set you mention seems perfect for testing. Cheap and with all I need to start  building the other stuff around it. Thanks.

I don’t think Kato unitrack is appropriate for what I need right now. I want to play around with stuff, I want to see how flexi track works, etc... if and when I make a move to a new more definitive layout will see.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 08:41:53 am »
Hi Miguel,

Just wanted to say hi and welcome but also that it's great you are starting small and experimenting with what you want to do in the future.

I rushed in at the start, trying to do too much. Lots of regrets and having to go back and start again.

Have fun with your future purchase and on the Forum.

Looking forward to what you come up with.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 09:34:20 am »
Hello and welcome!

My suggestion is to buy a class 50 and paint it in CP orange livery!

Tim

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 07:40:34 pm »
Welcome aboard
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Miguelcarmor

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 09:07:50 pm »
Hi all,

First box arrived today. Its Christmas time, again :)

I decided against a Train Set and went with Peco Setrack and Streamline 80 for points and flex, the points are electrofrog. I also bought an used DCC loco Class 1042 Elektrolok of the Austrian OBB, Epoch V.

The loco and flex are still on route.

Let me start with the “shock” when I opened the box and realize the size of N. This things are really, really small:)
I saw a great deal of N models but I saw them assembled, ballasted, decorated and I don’t know why but the track never seemed so small. With my clunky finguers its going to be a challenge.

Now to the crazy part. I already start to build my own turntable. Is going to be based on an old record player powered by a very cheap Stepper Motor (28BYJ48) and driven by an arduino DCC Decoder. Very early stage but she already moves to where I want.

For the moment the controller will be an Arduino DCC++ BaseStation, already build and working, connected to JMRI. The throttle will be my phone

I can’t wait for the rest of the stuff shows up in my mail.

Have a nice weekend

Miguel
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 09:16:05 pm by Miguelcarmor »

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2018, 09:37:31 pm »

Oh boy, what has happened to the grey stripe? :o  Is this supposed to be weathering?

Offline Miguelcarmor

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 09:43:37 pm »
Oh boy, what has happened to the grey stripe? :o  Is this supposed to be weathering?

I don't know but DCC fitted for £36... i really don't care :)

I bought it from Hattons Models on the pre owned section. They say the "only" problem with it is the paint job the previous owner did. Their say it runs very well.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 09:45:26 pm by Miguelcarmor »

Offline JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2018, 10:06:23 pm »
Building your own turntable, I'm impressed.  :thumbsup:

Shame about the paint job on the 1042 but you got it cheap enough and I'm sure you'll get the paintwork sorted OK.

And once you get used to working with N gauge, it'll become the norm and OO will just look 'Orribly 'Oversized.  :D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 10:07:39 pm by JohnN »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2018, 08:16:15 am »
I'm glad you went for electrofrog points and am sure you'll see the benefit of them :thumbsup:

Offline Miguelcarmor

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2018, 11:24:02 am »
Building your own turntable, I'm impressed.  :thumbsup:

Shame about the paint job on the 1042 but you got it cheap enough and I'm sure you'll get the paintwork sorted OK.

And once you get used to working with N gauge, it'll become the norm and OO will just look 'Orribly 'Oversized.  :D

Thanks, but be impressed if I ever finish the job :)

My paint job skills are, on the best day, very poor. I think the turntable is an easier project.

I don't mind the poor cosmetics of it. I wanted to start, this is my first N anything. The last time I was involved with model trains DCC wasn't a thing, locos with sound? what the heck...

My only concern, at the moment, is functionality. My layout will be very small with only one loco. But in this layout I intend to put: turntable, crossing railroad, Faller Car System, block detection, points, signals, etc...

This is for learning only.

Offline JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2018, 01:42:06 pm »
Same with me. After getting back into the hobby I was overwelmed with all the new advances and after a mediocre attempt at a mid sized layout, went back to a 4x2 foot single loop with one siding. Very useful for trying out new techniques and electronics.

Sitting and reading is good to a point, but sometimes you just need to make a start and learn from your mistakes.

But most importantly, have fun doing it.  :D

Offline Miguelcarmor

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2018, 10:43:36 am »
Hi guys,

I decided it was time to take another step, hopefully in the right direction, and start drawing the project with SCARM.

Please take a moment and visit my topic because, at this stage, I need all the help and feed back you can give me.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40332.msg490284#msg490284

Offline Tavora

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2018, 08:14:50 pm »
 :welcomesign:  Bem-vindo Miguel

I bet you were surprised with the N gauge size. It happen the same to me  :smiley-laughing:
The N gauge in Portugal it's virtually non-existent. If you find a shop their stock is very poor and the prices are usually 3 times more than in the UK. Not worth to get out of the house and try to find them. Very sad  :(
Buy from the UK shops and you'll be OK. Sometimes you'll find something at a good price on ebay.

Have fun.

Abraço

Offline Miguelcarmor

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2018, 08:55:57 pm »
Obrigado Tavora :)

N Scale is... well... When I try to do something it appears that my fingers are all thumbs..

I'm scratch building an high level turntable. Measurements made for a two-story warehouse and it comes down to 65mm high :) I had no other choice than to print an old red brick building to put around the turntable. I don't like it, but I can't make nothing on that scale and I really wan't the high level turntable.

As I live in Aveiro, even if I was modeling in H0, even then I would have to order everything online.

Abraço

:welcomesign:  Bem-vindo Miguel

I bet you were surprised with the N gauge size. It happen the same to me  :smiley-laughing:
The N gauge in Portugal it's virtually non-existent. If you find a shop their stock is very poor and the prices are usually 3 times more than in the UK. Not worth to get out of the house and try to find them. Very sad  :(
Buy from the UK shops and you'll be OK. Sometimes you'll find something at a good price on ebay.

Have fun.

Abraço

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here