!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: West Porthsea  (Read 3401 times)

Online cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
West Porthsea
« on: January 06, 2018, 10:52:57 pm »
 :hellosign: & Good Evening everybody, OK planning done (for now)  :D time to get serious.

This is the track plan as laid & yes I love it. The Turntable (Kato) goes back to the top L/H corner after much  :hmmm::uneasy: about the idea of two feeds in the previous plan, the idea is to use as a visible storage with low profile sheds at the rear, Many thanks for the idea. The Orange track at the far Right is the branch to West Porthsea Quay which is next after a complete loop is running around the shed.
   I have highlighted the red crossover as I have run out of R/H turnouts, but will be on the next order from "Traintrax".
    Will hopefully upload pictures shortly to show progess
     regards Derek. 

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
Re: West Porthsea
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 11:43:26 pm »

Hello this first photo shows the Turntable & the Eastern entrance to the station. The last few hours of shed time have been to lower the layout by 160mm & to remove issues of reaching in to the corner behind the Turntable. Also have rebuilt most of the shelving & general tidy.

Now looking to the Western side where the lines will split. The L/H crossover will be changed over for better operations in station. hi

Now continuing West, bridging the doorway starts taking shape.     
Thanks for looking.                     regards Derek

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 12:12:41 am »
Hi Derek,

Glad you're properly up 'n' running and all going to plan.

Great stuff and looking forward to more.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 09:41:43 am »
Great that progress is being made.
Really looking forward to developments.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 08:21:01 pm »
 :hellosign: Thank you Chris & Martin, hoping to make real progress & will keep you posted.
    regards Derek.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 09:49:41 pm »
Nice to see track going down. Not long to testing and testing and testing!!! :doh:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 11:00:31 pm »
 :hellosign: Thanks Brian, yes serious testing is forecast very soon
       regards Derek.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 04:26:52 pm »
Great to see some photo's of your layout Derek, promising start!

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 04:34:28 pm »
That looks like very good progress, Derek.  All your careful and accurate planning is paying dividends.

All good wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 10:22:19 pm »
 :hellosign: Many thanks Andrew & John, yes like this a lot & loads to follow very soon
     regards Derek.

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 04:13:06 pm »
 :hellosign: & Good afternoon, been a very up & down month with the layout. All started really well until my good lady wanted see where all the money had been spent. OMG time to tidy up & do some serious listening later & the Ikea shelves were on the way out & kitchen cabinets with adjustable legs are now are a strong level base. Then work & a lousy cold (not flu, had the jab) stopped progress till yesterday when B&Q again cut & supplied the 12mm Ply forming the baseboards
    The track plan has revolved 45% so the station will be on the longest wall, the R/H point in the top L/H corner is for a possible small Diesel stabling/ fueling area, the jury is still out. The two main through lines could gain a scissor crossover, would this be advantagous operationally?.
     The Orange line is the branch to West Porthsea Quay which will climb & be over the main station, but share the removable bridge over the doorway.
     Sorry all the lines are not filled (due to Scarm restrictions) but hope it all makes sense.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 07:35:57 pm »
The top inner and the bottom inner & outer curves look to be quite tight radii, Derek. Is there any way to ease them a little?
Will the baseboards be permanently joined as I see you have curved and slanted track across the joins and also a point on the lower board?
Purely my opinion but I think the crossovers you have would be better made from a point as part of the inner curve joining to a point off the straight on the outer loop. Sorry if that makes no sense - I'll do a small diagram if it will help. It would take away a 'nadgery' reverse curve and possibly improve running :hmmm:

Edit:-
Knocked one up using set track to show what I'm dribbling about........

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 07:37:50 pm »
Pleased to see your progress Derek. Good to hear that Mrs Cornish Yorkie is fully behind the project!

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 08:32:30 pm »
The top inner and the bottom inner & outer curves look to be quite tight radii, Derek. Is there any way to ease them a little?
Will the baseboards be permanently joined as I see you have curved and slanted track across the joins and also a point on the lower board?
Purely my opinion but I think the crossovers you have would be better made from a point as part of the inner curve joining to a point off the straight on the outer loop. Sorry if that makes no sense - I'll do a small diagram if it will help. It would take away a 'nadgery' reverse curve and possibly improve running :hmmm:

Edit:-
Knocked one up using set track to show what I'm dribbling about........

:hellosign: Thank you for your interest Mick, the minimum radius is 315mm, I really try to avoid smaller. I see & fully understand about the point, yes that makes loads of sense also the top curves can be easily eased. the bottom curves are sharp to try have a small a bridge as possible,  :hmmm: will look again
     regards Derek.

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 08:39:16 pm »
Pleased to see your progress Derek. Good to hear that Mrs Cornish Yorkie is fully behind the project!
:hellosign: Thanks for looking Keith, yes must keep all tidy now  :angel: seriously she is a real good organizer & sees things from a different angle
      regards Derek.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
May Donations

Advertise Here