Nelevation issues

Started by CeeDee, December 31, 2017, 01:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CeeDee

I am posting this to see if any other users are having the calibration problems that I seem to have with my Nelevation (n gauge - medium)?   Despite Allen (deisgner)'s two visits now (for which I am very grateful!) it still falls out of registration between one end of the device and the other after a period of time.

I have read the adjustment instructions carefully and have set level 5 accurately adjusting it, both electronically and manually in order to get each end of the level level with their respective interface tracks yet by four levels later, one end seems always to be just enough out of alignment to uncouple  rolling stock or at worst, derail a loco. 

When it is adjusted an working correctly, Nelevation is a brilliant bit of kit, no question!  However, having recently nearly had an uncoupled (and unseen) coach almost crushed, I find I am constantly checking to see if the selected levels are correct. 

As I said, I wonder if any other user has had this sort of problem and whether there is another 'fix' I have missed?  ???

Newportnobby

The only other person on the forum I know has one is George
@georgehgv

zwilnik

Probably a silly question, but is it mounted on a completely flat and level surface? I'm wondering if there's any twisting going along its length that's causing the mechanics to slip out of alignment?

CeeDee

A natural question to ask, but no, this Nelevation couldn't be on a more stable and level mounting.  Thanks for your interest! 

RailGooner

I'm sorry I can't help you with this problem. But, I'd like to say welcome aboard @CeeDee  :wave: and I hope you find a solution soon. :beers:

georgehgv

Quote from: CeeDee on December 31, 2017, 01:02:58 PM
I am posting this to see if any other users are having the calibration problems that I seem to have with my Nelevation (n gauge - medium)?   Despite Allen (deisgner)'s two visits now (for which I am very grateful!) it still falls out of registration between one end of the device and the other after a period of time.

I have read the adjustment instructions carefully and have set level 5 accurately adjusting it, both electronically and manually in order to get each end of the level level with their respective interface tracks yet by four levels later, one end seems always to be just enough out of alignment to uncouple  rolling stock or at worst, derail a loco. 

When it is adjusted an working correctly, Nelevation is a brilliant bit of kit, no question!  However, having recently nearly had an uncoupled (and unseen) coach almost crushed, I find I am constantly checking to see if the selected levels are correct. 

As I said, I wonder if any other user has had this sort of problem and whether there is another 'fix' I have missed?  ???

Hi, I have a Nelevator, the mid size one. I had the first one and had similar issues you are referring to, and a coach managed to get stuck in the exit after uncoupling. Allen came down on I think three occasions and made some adjustments which sorted the problems throughout without any grumbling.

I sadly lost confidence with it, dreading to use it for fear of something else going wrong and requested it be replaced which it was and the replacement has worked seamlessly ever since.

I believe that a lot has been learned from that first Model and now have a very good product.

My advice would be to contact Allen and seek his advice further. I believe he is away over the New Year but I am sure he will sort it all out for you. His efforts in doing so with mine give every confidence both in him and Nelevator.

All the best.
Another house move despite "never again" has given me a second floor layout so Geominster Mainline & Heritage Line will be modified and enlarged with siding storage.

My Facebook Diary is Geominster if anyone wants to view it please ask, it is a private group requiring acceptance, thanks.

This then is my third version modified which has been improved from previous efforts and lessons learned.

Geominster was my first project which has now been dismantled. Having learnt so much from  previous Geominster projects this is the latest one.

Latest Youtube video is here.

https://youtu.be/x50gYil5tAs

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30850.0

CeeDee

Well, its been weeks now my Nelevator has gone from bad to worst - I have to manually adjust it constantly to ensure that the tracks meet accurately.  Clearly I have a 'rogue' unit and Nelevation do not want to respond to my requests for an exchange Nelevator...  All they have offered is a refund and to take this unit away.  What I really need is a Nelevator which works reliably and accurately. 

Has any one tried Train-safe?  Horrendously expensive but does provide a sort of 'manually operated' cassette storage solution?

RailGooner

Sorry to read you're still having trouble with your Nelevator @CeeDee . I plan on getting a Train-safe to store/display my RevolutioN Pendolino and TRIX 'TEE Capitole'.

Ben A

Hello CeeDee,

I am sorry you're having difficulties.  I know Allen has put a huge amount of effort into the Nelevator project and nearly all of those delivered so far have worked brilliantly.

But of course, in any mass-produced item there are likely to be the occasional failures.

You've said you are being offered a full refund which seems fair. 

It may be they cannot offer you a replacement at this time because at the moment they don't have the stocks to replace - I know that demand has far outstripped early expectations and Allen has had to do a lot of work to ramp up production.

I hope you find a solution that works for you - but if you contact Allen I am sure he will do his best to assist.

Cheers

Ben A.

CeeDee

Thanks for your positive words...sadly, I have emailed Allen Pearson three times over the past three weeks on their website and privately but I never get a response.  All I received was a rather terse : we'll give you a refund. I'll pick it up next week"  Which is no help at all as all I am asking for is reliable and consistent Nelevation....

The problem is exacerbated by my building a layout which is pretty well dependent on the Nelevator being the 'vertical fiddle yard'.  As you say I was sure that these units were well engineered and produced.

CeeDee

Quote from: Only Me on February 09, 2018, 11:39:18 PM
Hi @CeeDee is your Nelevator in a place where extreme temperature change occurs?
Wondering if these issues you are having could be due to temperature changes?

Thanks for your response, but no there's no problem with temperature, the layout is in a cellar where it varies from, +12 deg C  to +19 deg C.   One half of the unit is working as expected the problem lies with one of the motors 'slipping' thus misaligning the tracks.

UPDATE:    Spent the whole of Sunday morning unloading the Nelevation and packing each train carefully away.  Tested the nelevation without any stock on board and Bingo! it works perfectly every time.     

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations