The League of Gentlemen

Started by Newportnobby, December 18, 2017, 02:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

This is probably a 'Marmite' kind of thing but I loved the first series all those 15 years ago, and now starting tonight at 10pm on BBC2 for 3 consecutive nights, the team give us 3 new episodes.
It seems nothing much has changed in Royston Vasey so be prepared for very dark humour and remember................"Don't touch the things! This is a local shop for local people"

JohnN

What's going on? What's all this shouting? We'll have no trouble here.  :D

I enjoyed it the first time around and have been enjoying the repeats recently so will definitely be tuning in. Thanks for the reminder.

STEVE44

Oh yes cant wait top comedy. I just love this.

Bob G

As Tubs said ...we didn't burn him!  :D
And I never figured out what the special stuff was from the butcher!
Royston Vasey - You'll Never Leave.

Even my wife who hated it originally has got into it...probably because everything else is so mediocre and/or made for an American audience.

I loved the repeats and will be watching.

Best
Bob

PS did you know that Roy "Chubby" Brown's real name is Royston Vasey, and he appeared in a cameo role as the town mayor in series 2.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bob G on December 18, 2017, 04:06:05 PM

PS did you know that Roy "Chubby" Brown's real name is Royston Vasey, and he appeared in a cameo role as the town mayor in series 2.

Oh yes. I have the complete DVD boxed set :D

Bob G

Quote from: newportnobby on December 18, 2017, 04:50:58 PM
Quote from: Bob G on December 18, 2017, 04:06:05 PM

Oh yes. I have the complete DVD boxed set :D

Not sure if I want to come round to see them, given your obvious proclivities  :uneasy:

RailGooner

Bob G

Quote from: RailGooner on December 18, 2017, 05:02:31 PM
You're My Wife Now!
...Dave

Its funny. I'd forgotten that was the League.

David Asquith

Quote from: RailGooner on December 18, 2017, 05:02:31 PM
You're My Wife Now!
I used that one on my wifes mate when I first met her but I had then to explain it to her.  She even gets some of my jokes now though she thinks I steal them from Xmas Crackers.

Dave

Zogbert Splod

If you want to check the bbc radio iplayer you will find that there are 3 hours of the show. It's on radio 4extra, yesterdays listing,  but still available for a while yet.....
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

joe cassidy

I assume this is nothing to do with the film of the same name with the likes of Jack Hawkins, Stanley Baker etc. ?

Bob G

Nor is it to do with the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, although the series is more than extraordinary.

It was filmed in Hadfield (of Dinting, Glossop and Hadfield fame of 1200V DC electrics) IIRC.

A stranger place you have never been.

Bob

daffy

Just for the sake of balance, I'll play the part of the grumpy old git: I've tried to like this, but it's just not my thing. Like Marmite.  :sick2:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

davidinyork

Quote from: daffy on December 18, 2017, 07:15:59 PM
Just for the sake of balance, I'll play the part of the grumpy old git: I've tried to like this, but it's just not my thing. Like Marmite.  :sick2:

I largely agree. The odd bit of it is funny (the job centre scenes primarily), but as for most of the rest of it, I can't really see why so many people rate it so highly.

It's not a patch on The Fast Show.

Adam1701D

Okey-dokey, pig-in-a-pokey...One of my favourite shows that appeals to my rather twisted sense of humour. Looking forward to the revival this evening.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations