!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Fairway Junction  (Read 3080 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Fairway Junction
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 08:52:15 am »
All looks pretty neat and tidy :thumbsup:
Always worth drilling holes for wiring in cross members before fitting them to the main frame ;)

Online Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 09:27:10 am »
Excellent progress - it looks fantastic.  Congratulations!

I second your comment about Kato 'Unitrack' being 'idiot-proof'; it certainly has proved to be me-proof, which is much the same thing.  I enjoyed seeing your installation and wiring techniques as they are almost the same as mine!  I won't be using DCC, though.

Many thanks for the excellent photographs and your very informative post.

All the best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline kierang

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 01:39:08 pm »
Always worth drilling holes for wiring in cross members before fitting them to the main frame ;)

Yes  :hmmm: - nothing stopping me drilling some holes now - all the wiring is either plastic connectors or terminal block, so easy enough to disconnect, thread through some holes and reconnect again. But, for the time being, tidiness under the board is not a priority for me, other than to stop the wires getting caught by knees or feet etc. The self adhesive cable tie mounts work a treat for this. 

Offline kierang

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 01:41:23 pm »
Excellent progress - it looks fantastic.  Congratulations!

I second your comment about Kato 'Unitrack' being 'idiot-proof'; it certainly has proved to be me-proof, which is much the same thing.  I enjoyed seeing your installation and wiring techniques as they are almost the same as mine!  I won't be using DCC, though.

Many thanks for the excellent photographs and your very informative post.

All the best.

John

Thanks John - it seems also to me-proof :laugh: The Japanese certainly know what they're doing when it comes to "plug and play" electronics.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 03:09:16 pm »
Kierang,

So many similarities with what you are trying to achieve and my own efforts!

Its more or less exactly one year ago that I decided to get back into the hobby after decades of absence. I'm modelling the blue/grey era turning into NSE, so I can run both liveries. I too have a 47 hauling NSE coaches and a lovely looking two car class 101 in NSE.

The best decision I made was to abandon Peco Setrack after a few months and change to Kato Unitrack, so much easier to work with! Whilst my trains are all DCC I run the Kato points DC off the Kato controller. I much prefer to have the physical switches to glance at rather than keying numbers in to my NCE Powercab to change points, so its great to see your bank of point switches.  I'm also a fan of Metcalfe kits and have many on my layout.

After a year my layout is not finished, and its not going to be either. I've learned a lot this last year. Some things I've got right and some things not so good. I've just been given permission to relocate to the spare bedroom and I've been planning a layout that will be similar in many ways to yours. In a month or so, I'll be taking the old layout to bits.

On this thread you've indicated that you'll soon be fixing the track down. I have to confess that the track on my existing layout isn't fixed down at all. I have 8 turnouts, the double crossover and 8 power feeds dotted about and therefore all the associated cables that help to hold the track in place. Add to this the shaped cork tiles that are butted up to the edges of the track along with a bit of pva and a tiny bit of Kato coloured ballast to fill in the small gap, nothing moves! I certainly don't intend to glue or pin down the track on the proposed new layout.

Good luck with Fairway Junction and keep the photos coming.

Alec.

Offline kierang

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 10:44:02 pm »

On this thread you've indicated that you'll soon be fixing the track down. I have to confess that the track on my existing layout isn't fixed down at all. I have 8 turnouts, the double crossover and 8 power feeds dotted about and therefore all the associated cables that help to hold the track in place. Add to this the shaped cork tiles that are butted up to the edges of the track along with a bit of pva and a tiny bit of Kato coloured ballast to fill in the small gap, nothing moves! I certainly don't intend to glue or pin down the track on the proposed new layout.

Thanks Alec. I will certainly minimise gluing down and use copydex so it's easy to peel up. As you say, the points cabling and power feeds hold the track down nicely in most places, but I find the curves and the end of sidings tend to move around too much, so they need attaching.

Kieran

Offline kierang

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 10:48:47 pm »

I much prefer to have the physical switches to glance at rather than keying numbers in to my NCE Powercab to change points, so its great to see your bank of point switches. 

They do look good don't they? And much better for the kids. I had great fun this weekend setting my 7-year-old challenges to move a train from one location to the other in one movement by setting the points in the right position using the track plan and the levers indicating which position each set of points is in. You couldn't do that with DCC turnout controls (unless you have some fancy indicator board or computer screen malarkey, but we're nowhere near that stage !).  :D

Offline kierang

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 10:56:26 pm »
Very disappointed with my Dapol Britannia. Very sketchy operations, slow to respond to the controls on occasion and simply can't cope with the #4 points in any direction (the front wheel set has a mind of it's own) and can only run on the outer radius curves (which is the only place I have a #4 set of points, because of limited space to access the fiddle yard).

Might see if I can think of a re-design to get a #6 set of points in to the fiddle yard...

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 11:54:36 pm »

Might see if I can think of a re-design to get a #6 set of points in to the fiddle yard...

Before changing to Kato I read a lot about people having problems with #4 points, so much so I determined to only buy #6's. I've never used the 4s so I don't know if their reputation is deserved or not!

The #6's are nicely curved but by 'eck they do take up some room!

Alec.

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 08:59:49 am »
Very disappointed with my Dapol Britannia. Very sketchy operations, slow to respond to the controls on occasion and simply can't cope with the #4 points in any direction (the front wheel set has a mind of it's own) and can only run on the outer radius curves (which is the only place I have a #4 set of points, because of limited space to access the fiddle yard).

Very sorry, Kieran, to hear of your troubles with Kato 'Unitrack' #4 points.

There is a really good thread on the subject here:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=37681.msg446447#msg446447

NPN's research was very thorough and diligent.
My own 'research' (!) has been much less so, but our conclusions are very similar (I don't want to say 'identical' as it would be wrong of me to presume NPN's agreement on such a definite statement):

Kato #4 fine with diesel and electrics.
Potential difficulties with steam locomotives.
If a steam locomotive is fine with a single #4, then please test it on a crossover, if you will use one on your layout.
And, please remember to test steam locomotives tender first as well.

I decided to use only #6 and have had almost no difficulties, although I did have to file a 'joggle' in one.

I commend them to you.

The #6's are nicely curved but by 'eck they do take up some room!

Alec.

Agreed, Alex.  A Kato #6 is longer than a Peco 'Setrack' point ... in H0/00!

With all good wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline kierang

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2018, 10:09:37 am »
After much deliberation - a solution came to me this morning.

I have added a siding solely for Britannia (and her two coaches), which actually goes under the tunnel. I will disguise this by giving it a single engine shed entrance. It's near the station, so I'll lose some low relief shops from that corner, but not too worried about that because I think they might have looked odd anyway at the bottom of a retaining wall and with no width for a road (just a pedestrian footpath).

Britannia can now cross a new set of #6 points into the engine shed/siding. When it's a steam day on the mainline, she can reverse to the station to collect her passengers and then pull out forwards and travel anti-clockwise round the main loop. This is actually the only direction she can safely negotiate the closed #4 points at the entrance to the fiddle yard in any case and she can't cope with the tight curves on the inner two loops, so I'm quite satisfied. In a way, having the steam engine hidden away is a good thing on what is generally going to be a modern image layout, except on special steam days !

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2018, 10:14:59 am »
Thanks for the recommendation to my 'experiment', John.
I used an oval with a passing loop and ran all locos in forward/reverse, picked them up, rotated them 180 degrees and repeated the exercise. I think a crossover would be an even more stringent test! :worried:

It saddens me many suffer from a space constriction and so head down the path of the smallest possible points without being aware of the problems that can ensue. I try to do what I can whilst evading hit squads from Peco and Kato ;)

I'm glad you've found a solution, Keiran

Offline kierang

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2018, 10:28:12 am »
NPN - you would think Kato could resolve the issue somehow? But I suppose their own rolling stock is modern image and not ropey Dapol steam locos, so no need to worry about it in Japan?

Anyway, I have built and tested my new arrangement and pleased to report it all works a treat.

The grey rectangle under the track represents the single engine shed and the orange rectangle represents the station platform...

Offline kierang

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2018, 10:29:54 am »
I think a crossover would be an even more stringent test! :worried:

Funnily enough, my Britannia has no issues whatsoever with a crossover, it's just the #4 turnout it can't deal with  :confused2:

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2018, 10:35:44 am »
Funnily enough, my Britannia has no issues whatsoever with a crossover, it's just the #4 turnout it can't deal with  :confused2:

Depends what you mean by a crossover, if itís the Kato double (scissors) crossover then thatís a #6  :thumbsup:

The Kato single crossovers are #4.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here