!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Fairway Junction  (Read 2279 times)

Offline kierang

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Fairway Junction
« on: December 14, 2017, 10:38:53 pm »
Hi all, it's been a while.

Embercroft junction (http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=34460) never got much further off the ground due to moving house (again).

But, the new abode includes a spare room for me to use as an office (so I'm no longer confined to working in the "shed" in the garden or building a dining-room table sized layout). I have permission from the powers that be to build a permanent layout in said room, and in fact have recently been nagged to get on with it (in order that the Christmas presents from last year (and, hopefully, this) can actually be put to some use).

So, after much planning of an unashamed "train set pretending to be a model railway", I have begun work this week.

First of all, the plans:

The main layout is 2250 mm x 800 mm (7'5" x 2'8"), with an add-on (fiddle yard/depot) which is 700mm x 400 mm (2'4" x 1'4"). It's a roundy roundy, one end hidden under the tunnel:

All Kato Unitrack, much of which is already "in stock", the rest on its way from Santa.

Buildings are mostly Metcalfe kits, also many of which I have ready to build, with some more on the way.

As with the never-constructed Embercroft junction, I'm a 80's - 90's kid, so it will be loosely based on Network South East of that era

There will be a steam preservation society in residence (you may just see their portakabin and nissen hut on the layout plan) running Britannia to Liverpool Street as it would have done in my Dad's early career in the 50's.

I am not, and will not be, precious about historical accuracy though, so if it looks good, I will run it or build it. I have a fantastic Graham Farish "Capital Connection" 30th Anniversary Class 47 with coaches in NSE livery, as well as a couple of class 57 Freightliners and the Britannia all ready to go as soon as engineering works are complete (which, in true NSE style, may be some time !).

Baseboard construction was completed today. I used a 2" x 2" framework, attached to the walls, with 12mm ply board, which I got the local timber yard to cut exactly to size for me, and legs (which cost about 2) from a certain Swedish furniture manufacturer.

Here are some progress pics:

As you may be able to see from the photos, it runs along the wall directly behind my desk, and is at the same height, so I can spin my chair round and run trains when I get bored of work !

Going to get the tunnel frame and sides built over the next week (the top will be removable - again a piece cut exactly to size by the timber yard). Then, once Santa's done his thing the track will be laid out and the task of power feeds and points wiring will begin (made simpler, in theory, by the Kato system, but I have got a to run a "bus" for the DCC control, which will be a first for me  :uneasy:).

Watch this space...

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Fairway Junction
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 10:35:24 am »
Thanks for the update. That looks a great piece of planning and I look forward to seeing it develop into reality.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 09:23:31 am »
Thank you for this.  As an unashamed enthusiast for 'train set'-style model railways, I think your plan is fantastic.  And, given your chosen NSE era, the bi-directional working (I assume) on all three main lines is an interesting feature.

My own experience with Kato 'Unitrack' is, in general, very positive and I think you will be impressed with how easily it all fits together.

I look forward to seeing developments.

All best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 09:29:21 am »
The bit to the bottom right is an unsceniced fiddle yard, presumably?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline kierang

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 08:54:19 pm »

Yes, sort of a fiddle yard/depot, but I will give it an industrial backscene and probably a few huts and the like, as it will be visible.

Offline kierang

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 11:02:17 am »
A little update - board construction (including tunnel) complete.

Tunnel Section:

And with top removed:

Next job - sanding, hole filling and painting...

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 11:54:38 am »
Looking great. Judging by the toothpaste poster on the end, Tank will love this one.  :thumbsup:

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 03:37:17 pm »
Great progress and very neat work on the baseboard.  Thank you for the pictures.

Yes, sort of a fiddle yard/depot, but I will give it an industrial backscene and probably a few huts and the like, as it will be visible.
I think it is a great idea to have a scenic staging/fiddle yard.  Why hide the lovely little trains away when one can enjoy looking at them?

All the very best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline kierang

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 09:17:16 pm »
Great progress and very neat work on the baseboard.  Thank you for the pictures.

Thanks John - trying to make the board look as much like a piece of (maybe "Swedish" flat pack ?!) furniture as possible, purely for marital harmony reasons  :laugh:

Offline kierang

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 11:00:35 pm »
Hope everyone had a good Christmas !

Progress at Fairway Junction.

Finished painting the board on Christmas Eve:

And Boxing Day track engineering works progressed well:

The electricians don't work on Boxing Day, but I managed to plug in the outer loop and fiddle yard using the Unitrack power track and gave all the locos a run out for the first time in about 12 months:

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 11:10:33 pm »
Hi kierang,

Happy Christmas. All looking good.

I must go back and read your thread again as never replied about it before. I forget and keep losing track of who's doing what.

Anyway, looking forward to your progress.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 11:17:00 pm »
Trains running on Boxing Day! Well done, Sir! Beats the prototype here in Oz!  :thumbsup:

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 03:14:57 pm »
Looks like it's coming along nicely...

Offline kierang

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 11:44:32 pm »
Been wiring and stuff today. Kept it as simple as possible, because that's what Kato is supposed to be !

First up - point switches. I used the Kato wiring, and extensions and just drilled big enough holes through the board to take the plastic connectors through. These are hidden under the integrated ballast on the trackwork, but you can see them behind the points switches themselves - quite neatly in a row though  :)

The blue and white wire in the photo is the power feed to the programming track. I am quite pleased with this bit - I used a unitrack male plastic connector which I just swap with the feed to main track (which also has a male plastic connector and I butchered a turnout extension cable to provide a female connector to wire to the controller) when I want to programme - which is rarely, so no need for soldering dpdt switches etc.

Points switch and power feed wiring under the board. I tried to keep it fairly tidy by using cable ties and the self-adhesive mounts for them under the board (cost about 5 for 100 of each):

Apologies in advance for my no doubt horrific electronics which will probably have some of you shuddering in disgust. I made a kind of BUS by sending all the Unitrack power feeds (I used the unijoiner feeds) to a terminal block, then wiring that to the controller. I started off with a single feed to each loop and it powered everything (including the fiddle yard) no problem, but I added in an extra feed to each loop on the opposite side just to be sure. The points are power routing, so the fiddle yard roads are isloated when not in use, which is how I want it - especially with the kids (I don't want them driving a train out with the points in the wrong position, which they can't do if sidings are not powered until the points are thrown). This means I don't need to add feeds to each and every siding, but I can add this in if I want to in future, along with a more conventional BUS. For the time being, my terminal block BUS works fine and all the DCC locos operate properly and respond to the controller in every location (I think probably because Kato is pretty idiot proof):

There are 6 feeds from the block to the rails, then a single feed from the block to the controller. I used the large terminal block (I think it is 15A rated), so the opening is large enough to take all 6 wires (twisted together) easily enough.

My fiddle yard and programming track:

And the overall layout now all the wires are hidden:

And finally, proof of my failed attempt to keep the wiring tidy under the board. In my defence, I have not soldered anything, I have cut only four wires (the controller feeds from the terminal block BUS and from the programming track) and it took me just an afternoon to wire the track and 12 points switches, along with the "tidying" of wiring underneath  ;D :

Next up - buildings and scenery which will be a relatively large task. Platforms first I think, so I can start to think about stations, at which point I will glue the track down also. Then I need to build the retaining wall and tunnel portals.

At least I can play trains while I build though !

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 11:48:19 pm by kierang »

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 11:54:34 pm »
 :hellosign: Looking good , thanks for sharing     :greatpicturessign:
        regards Derek.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £60.00