Ford Focus Ecoboost 125.... Any owners or experiences out there?

Started by Skyline2uk, December 12, 2017, 08:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

Reminds me of the vacuum powered wipers on my first car - a Ford 100E Popular. With the engine struggling uphill the wipers could and did reach a standstill! Mind you in the pre- 70mph speed limit days it did manage an indicated 90 - 100 mph downhill on the M2 from Chatham to Strood. Very smooth at that speed though I was happy there was not much traffic around.
[/quote]

weren't those the ones that when you pulled out to overtake and accelerated ....... slowed down so you could see sod all ?

Newportnobby

Quote from: Skyline2uk on December 21, 2017, 05:22:20 PM
Well, no going back now....

Picked up my "Deep Impact Blue" Focus this afternoon.

I'll be interested to know what you think of it after a suitable time

Plainline.

Just got a 2 year old eco boost fiesta. Nice car but always have to drive in a lower gear than I would in our older fiesta, otherwise it labours.

Skyline2uk

Quote from: newportnobby on December 21, 2017, 08:02:48 PM
Quote from: Skyline2uk on December 21, 2017, 05:22:20 PM
Well, no going back now....

Picked up my "Deep Impact Blue" Focus this afternoon.

I'll be interested to know what you think of it after a suitable time

Will do mate

Quote from: Plainline. on December 21, 2017, 09:21:28 PM
Just got a 2 year old eco boost fiesta. Nice car but always have to drive in a lower gear than I would in our older fiesta, otherwise it labours.

The dash informs me to change up very often in this, but that is a trait I have noted on many cars these days. It's not an issue as the 6 speed in this is a joy to use.

Skyline2uk

Skyline2uk

:laughabovepost:

Young dealer who won't say that again!

QuoteSo back to the changing gear questions i notice it has to be driven well to get good acceleration and performance then it works really well, if i drive it like a granny it doesnt move well at all

Agreed. Mrs Skyline drove it home last night and as she was taught by her father who is somebody who uses all the gears (up and down without skipping), she didn't have any real issues. Other than forgetting the box goes beyond the 4 in her Rover Mini that is!

Both myself and Mrs got in trouble with our "proper" instructors as we used gears / engine breaking and not (say) going from 4th to 2nd under breaking for a red light.

Skyline2uk

Newportnobby

Quote from: newportnobby on December 12, 2017, 09:53:58 PM
Only 999cc but turbocharged engine so stirring the gearbox is a must but Ford do make excellent gearboxes.

My quote about my Fiesta Ecoboost ↑

My Mum, following an operation which left reduced strength in her left arm, has recently bought a 2 year old Fiesta automatic and I have warned her if she's not careful she'll lose her licence as it's a little rocketship!

B757-236GT

Quote from: newportnobby on December 22, 2017, 09:59:02 AM
Quote from: newportnobby on December 12, 2017, 09:53:58 PM
Only 999cc but turbocharged engine so stirring the gearbox is a must but Ford do make excellent gearboxes.

My quote about my Fiesta Ecoboost ↑

My Mum, following an operation which left reduced strength in her left arm, has recently bought a 2 year old Fiesta automatic and I have warned her if she's not careful she'll lose her licence as it's a little rocketship!

My other half has one of those and its indeed really quick off the mark. Its quicker by nearly a second to 60 over the manual but you can still easily get high 40s to gallon from it, even weirder the automatic is only available as 100BHP yet it feels quicker than the 125!

Best ones to buy at the moment are the pre March 2017 cars as on the 1/4/17 they put the tax up so there is no incentive to buy one new as the first year tax is £240 and then £140 a year from then on. Before the manuals were normally free and the automatics £30 (with the first year free)!

Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

Zuma

Radio commercials here make 'ecoboost' sound like 'ego boost'. Which in Los Angeles is what a lot of folks need on a daily basis.

Skyline2uk

By way of an update on this (and by resolution of my not too recent rant on the Angry Thread re "silly" parking others  :veryangry:), please enjoy this before and after of my rear quarter.....

My mates at the garage opposite my office saw me alright, at a price which softened the blow and using the proper kit (was warned off certain "Master" outfits who do the job in-situ).

General ownership notes on the Ecoboost;

1) 125 unit was the way to go, very acceptable performance but can see the 100 unit struggling with less power and resultant high revs to compensate would blunt economy.

2) Have not had average fuel economy below 42mpg in any conditions and have achieved over 55 between Bristol and London. On the motorway I am relaxed but I haven't really adapted my driving style to achieve this economy.

3) As told beforehand, you need to work the box to keep on power. No hardship.

4) Cabin isn't the most quiet on the motorway. Road roar results in the need to turn up the radio. A shame as the engine is actually very refined, so much so I have had to check it was on....

5) The "sync" system (Bluetooth with phone) isn't perfect, but improvement on previous system on old Fiesta.

I am still in the "honeymoon" period with this car, but after 2000 miles I don't think I have chosen badly (all fingers crossed).

Skyline2uk

B757-236GT

You have the upgrade alloys on it and tyres on those can vary in terms of noise. I just replaced my 17s on my C-max to Avons (remember them) and the noise difference was massive. So much quieter and MPG is better. It originally had Hankooks on it which Ford seem to fit as standard when new which are considered a budget brand by many tyre fitters.

Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

Dr Al

Quote from: Skyline2uk on February 06, 2018, 07:52:12 PM
1) 125 unit was the way to go, very acceptable performance but can see the 100 unit struggling with less power and resultant high revs to compensate would blunt economy.

Interestingly, Ford have recently introduced a more powerful still version of this engine - 140 now - it'll be interesting to see real world performance and reviews of this. I wonder too what they'll do with the 1.5L longer term - it does kind of imply that they could get more from that.

Still doesn't get to the reported 197 that they've had on test with the 1.0L engine (albeit IIRC with two turbos...)...but I wonder how long it'll be before a 1.0L can be bought with 200hp or more.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Skyline2uk

I have just checked and, as I suspected, the next generation Fiesta ST is going to have the 1.5L unit.

Given the power levels of the most recent "hot hatches", I would be amazed if this generates much less than 200BHP.

The 140 unit must be what Ford seem to be the top end of sustainable in the non-performance orientated models. Reading before and since buying my Focus, it's seems the milage limited part on the Ecoboost engine is more likely to be the Turbo, circa 90k from that before replacement.

If mine reaches that, fine with me, didn't do that many miles in 7 years with my old car.

Skyline2uk

njee20

Skyline2uk

Quote from: njee20 on February 13, 2018, 06:50:17 PM
197bhp. 0-62 of 6.7 seconds. No slouch for sure.

What's the betting the advertise that as "200ps", given that the unit in mine is 123BHP but 125ps?

Anyway, splitting hairs, would love the hot Fiesta (or any fast Ford for that matter). Maybe I should have worked harder  :'(

Skyline2uk

njee20

It's not even an advertising thing. 1 metric horsepower (ps) is 0.986 British horsepower. So yes, it'll be 200ps for sure.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations