!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: DJ Models APT crowdfunding campaign  (Read 7001 times)

Online bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
Re: DJM APT-P
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2017, 06:46:30 pm »
does the revolution pendolino tilt?

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+31)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2017, 06:55:26 pm »
certainly not interested myself, such inflated prices are not, in my opinion, doing anything to promote the hobby.

I was lucky to get a couple of the Blue Pullmans, not I hasten to add at full price, and I was able to use them to give me a full length unit, with two working power cars, plus a spare power car.
Chris, of Old Warren fame, did me a lovely conversion of one of the other power cars to one awaiting restoration, and the fourth powered power car is retained as a spare, with excess carriages sold for a reasonable price.
so, when one, or both, power cars die, I have two spare powered chassis to repair them.

nothing like the cost of this offering, and SWMBO even liked the idea of the one awaiting repair.

I am afraid I don't see many of these selling, and those that do, will they run on a layout or be put away to appreciate value for resale ?
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline Intercity

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2017, 07:55:46 pm »
Would really like to see this succeed, however I have my doubts, although the Pendolino has proven a successful venture by revolution, they have stated the 321 isnít doing so well, keep in mind the 321 in real life went full production and ended up used on many commuter lines for thousands of commuters, they saw service all over the country (under wires of course), the APT although iconic and well known, to me just doesnít have the appeal of a regular train and I fear that limitation may impact the end sales.
Support crowdfunding - itís the way forward

Revolutions class 321 needs your help, letís make it happen.

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2017, 08:01:39 pm »
Its an Iconic train and I think it will succeed.

Not every train has the same appeal.  The yellow nosed Blue Pullman was a flop as was the blue Brighton Bell, where as the all Blue Pullman and the cream and umber Bell sell for silly money.

The Class 321 is just an ugly prototype.

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2017, 08:03:51 pm »
When I worked at Paddington in the late 1970s someone shared the APT-P livery proposal with us  I remember someone suggesting the grey should be replaced with mid-blue. I drew one up on a bit of white cardboard. Would have made a good NSE variant.

Really interesting! I've wanted to make one in the NSE livery ever since I saw the following artists impression of the APT P at East Croydon station.

The more I read about this model the more I want it.  However, that price...   :(

The Class 321 is just an ugly prototype.

In your opinion.  ;)  I like it!  :)

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2017, 08:11:43 pm »
does the revolution pendolino tilt?

No it doesn't, if I recall correctly it was considered but as the degree of tilt is comparatively small and tilt is only used on certain parts of the WCML it was decided not to, a move supported by the majority of subscribers.

Roy

Offline pape_timmo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23256
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2017, 09:08:19 pm »
Ouch, Iíd love one but at that price Iíd struggle at the moment to get those funds together. Mmm, weíll see...

Cheers, Timmo

Online Maurits71

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23800
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2017, 09:57:39 pm »
close to a £ 1000,- is he developing an 0 gauge version.

sorry for being negative but his history is too close in my mind so for sure I amnit interested at all.
Hills and Meadows on social media

For Hills and Meadows video channel please click here

For Hills and Meadows on facebook please click here

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2017, 09:59:04 pm »
Well there we have it an ATP-P , well lads on here have almost sorted a 3D print one and I can see that is where my money will go.

I wish  the project well having seen work the factories have made with input and or control from DJM- all good but reviews of some models and the slow inventory of promised models - I got two mermaids in dutch today with a pile still unsold does not give me a WOW factor like the Pendo.

It will have to wait for me not seen face book announcement but hope fully a Hornby style 5 car and extension packs and dummy power car packs for those who want research trains. With 4 differing livery adornments across the 7 leading vehicles of the subsets quite a bit of choice possible.   

Online Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2017, 10:23:45 pm »
I think the price is actually sensible from a business point of view. This particular model is likely to have a limited fan base, so would be a very limited run and need a good profit margin to offset the risk. It does have the benefit in terms of crowdfunding that in theory the actual number of orders required to make it viable should be a lot lower. CJM can sell individual locos at £500+ so there probably is a market for low volume, high price sets.

The  Revolution version of the APT potentially has a wider appeal (in terms of both what sort of layouts it could feasibly be run on and the lower price making it more of an impulse buy) so can support a lower price if it hits its order target.

Hopefully both will do really well.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 09:10:17 am by Zwilnik, Reason: Autocorrect typo »

Offline captainelectra

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Electra Rail
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2017, 11:05:43 pm »
There was a proposal by Inter-City to use the APT-P Trailers with 73s for the Gatwick Express. I guess the costs of modifying them for conventional use was too great, hence the Mk2s prevailed.

What might have been, eh...?
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Electra Rail
Peterborough, UK
http://www.electrarail.co.uk
Flick Site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27017199@N07/

Offline cutting42

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2017, 09:26:56 pm »
Great news but like some, I have concerns over announcements vs delivery. To commit to crowdfunding you need confidence, I have committed a lot to some crowd funded activities but more evidence of a sound business plan required first in this case.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2017, 09:45:52 pm »
I see that the Product Progress page on the DJM website was last updated in March this year.

http://djmodels.co.uk/?page_id=422

I'm sure Dave is extremely busy but perhaps he could arrange an update so we can see the progress since.

Dave G

Offline NOE 544R

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2017, 09:47:54 pm »
A very interesting announcement - not a fan of the price but I can see where the money goes. My only problem is we are still waiting for the Clayton's etc .... I won't be putting any money down until we have a commitment to the original N gauge announcements. (P.s. I'd love the Clayton double set weathered).

:thankyousign:

Offline Pete @ EGLM

• N Gauge Society Number: 7447
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2017, 11:29:51 pm »
Revolution crowd funding can deliver an 11 coach Pendolino for around the same price DJM want for a crowd funded 5 car APT.  I won't be funding that.  I do want at least 4 Claytons, but I'm beginning to doubt they will ever appear

Pete @ EGLM

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here