!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Evercombe Junction - Somewhere on the Somerset and Dorset  (Read 2025 times)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Evercombe Junction - Somewhere on the Somerset and Dorset
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2018, 04:23:29 pm »
def  Slow and Delightful.....

coff..
Serene and Dignified.....
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline mitch99

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2018, 11:45:33 am »
Good morning all,

I've certainly heard it called worse than Slow and Delightful or Serene and Dignified - Slow and Dirty is one that springs to mind, completely unjustified in my humble opinion!

I'm please to report I now have 2 complete loops of track! As you can see below I have carried out extensive testing (playing) :D

The fiddle yard for the mainlines are substantially complete. I've decided to order a couple of new points to replace some of the old ones that have seen better days, rather do it now than wish I had in a couple of months time. These should arrive in the next couple of days, this will give me 8 storage loops in total for the mainline. Sorry I can't work out how to rotate the photo :hmmm:

And finally a picture of 9F 92220 'Evening Star' on The Pines Express with a blurred 4F in the background on a local freight

Once all the track is down next on the to do list are back scenes and the control panel, these are things I can be doing on an evening after work so hopefully things should progress a little quicker! Thanks for looking.

Andy

Offline fisherman

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2018, 04:07:16 pm »
looking   really good!!
<o({{{<<

Offline mitch99

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2018, 07:04:33 pm »
Evening all,

It's been a while since my last update, progress has been a little slow but I'm pleased to report that all track has now been laid both in the scenic section....

and in the fiddle yard.....

You'll also notice that a couple of backscenes have appeared, I'm planning to add another 2 either side of the central access / operating well and 2 to the side of the board (which will follow the profile of the hills) to prevent locos and rolling stock plummeting to the floor!

The next week or so will be spent wiring up power feeds and switches and linking them back to the control panel, shown in the picture below (I apologise for the terrible joinery skills on display!)

Also had a trip to the Festival of British Railway Modelling at Doncaster on Saturday, a few nice layouts and I managed to pick up a BR Standard 4 2-6-0 for a decent price which, although not as common as the 4-6-0 version, did appear on the Somerset and Dorset.

Once I've completed the wiring and backscenes I'll be moving on to scenery, starting with the tunnel mouths to the fiddle yard.

Thanks for looking and I hopefully won't keep you waiting so long for the next updates

Andy

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2018, 07:41:05 pm »
That looks  very good indeed.
Will you be creating a tunnel on the far side up against the wall?
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline mitch99

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2018, 08:06:24 pm »
Thank you port perran

Yes I'm intending to create a tunnel there, the plan is to create a section of backscene from 3mm ply cut to follow the outline of the hill which will keep the scenery away from the wall itself

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2018, 09:10:53 pm »
This is sizing up to be a great layout.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2018, 10:03:37 am »
That's looking great, Andy :thumbsup:

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2018, 07:21:08 pm »
Looking good......I'm following with interest  :greatpicturessign:
If it looks right, it probably is right.

Offline mitch99

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2018, 08:32:42 pm »
Good evening all - time for a long overdue update on progress, which has been a little slow to say the least, I can't believe my last post was in February.

I could make all sorts of excuses but in reality a combination, work, holidays, DIY, the summer and a loss of enthusiasm has pushed the railway to the bottom of the priorities list.

I'm please to say Evercombe Junction is still very much in existence and some progress has been made, however I've had a bit of an issue with expansion joints! :doh: In short I didn't leave a big enough gap and the recent warm weather has caused some track to bend, particularly in the fiddle yard, none of the damage was lasting and this has now been rectified, relaying the track over the last few weekends with the warm weather has helped . A valuable lesson learnt.

On a more positive note the layout is now fully wired with power and isolating sections installed and the control panel is complete

I have also infilled gaps between rail joints and where wires have been soldered to the rails with individual sleepers and removed the section of backscene to the fiddle yard as it was serving no useful purpose and prevented access to the fiddle yard, an overall view of the layout can be seen below.

As you may have spotted the basis of some tunnels have started to appear at the entrances to the fiddle yard, firstly the line to Bournemouth......

.......and then the line to Bath with the branchline curving away to the left, with a mock up of the signal box in the middle, both the signal box and track layout are based upon Winsor Hill Tunnel on the original S&D

This is just the basic foundations, the landscape around this area will be built up over the entrances to the fiddle yard and scenery added in due course, hopefully producing something resembling the rolling hills of the S&D!

Thats about all for now, I've made some positive progress in the last couple of weeks and have renewed enthusiasm which will hopefully continue

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2018, 09:36:35 pm »
It's all looking rather good, particularly the control panel.
I found Peco tunnel mouths a little tall so took 5-7mm off the bottom which made the tunnel bore smaller which I thought looked better. You also don't need your scenery quite so high either :D
Glad you have your mojo back. I really do suggest a good vacuum of the layout and then a play test of trains ;D

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2018, 12:53:09 am »
Really good to see progress being made.   :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline mitch99

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2018, 10:26:34 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys, I definitely have my modelling mojo back, Iím not a massive fan of track laying and wiring, so happy to be moving on to the scenery.

I have a couple of spare tunnel mouths so I will follow your advice Newportnobby and take a few millimetres off the bottom, Iím in the process of painting and weathering these to make them look a little more realistic, Iíll upload some photos when I have something that looks acceptable. As for the height of the scenery and hills I will have a play until I get something that looks about right, I certainly donít want anything too mountainous!

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2018, 11:14:21 pm »
Hi Mitch,

All looking good. Glad your back in the mindset. Think we've all been there at some point.

I blame Tank as I want a garden railway too now  :D

Looking forward to your progress.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here