!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Windmill Hill. A busy little layout in a compact little case.  (Read 9408 times)

Online JohnN

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Windmill Hill. A busy little layout in a compact little case.
« Reply #330 on: February 11, 2018, 05:53:50 pm »
Hi Kevin. Good to see the latest instalment.  :thumbsup:

Just my penniethworth but I think the off white cream colour looks very natural. White won't stay white for long with all the vehicles and trains going past, especially if it was oil based paint (which I guess it would have been) which tends to yellow with age. Anything too white can look toylike to my eye.

Another lovely scene modelled to your high standards.  :beers:

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #331 on: February 11, 2018, 05:58:34 pm »
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #332 on: February 11, 2018, 07:21:40 pm »
 :NGF:

Hi John and Mito,

That's great, so good to get input from guys who know what's going on  :D ::) :D

The off white does seem more realistic, but I was just a bit worried I may have gone too far off  ;)

And wow, that is some overlap ...... not even slightly worried about mine now  :thumbsup:

Thank you for your help

:beers:

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #333 on: February 11, 2018, 08:20:02 pm »
Don't worry about gates overlaping when open. http://www.gosportheritage.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/R40INMA.jpg

The level crossing gates at Wadebridge overlapped, like these, too. Here they are modelled in 2MMScale:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_11_2013/post-1074-0-96898100-1383584765.jpg

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #334 on: February 11, 2018, 09:47:56 pm »
:thankyousign: I'm late to the party following this thread. What a great concept and such fabulously creative, top quality modelling. Fantastic work.

Me, too! But I was VERY busy when these posts were going up. Now, I can see where Martin got some of the impetus for his new layout. A truly superb piece of 3D artwork.

Cant Cove was always planned to have lots of cameos but, also, I work VERY slowly. (I have the figures and the stories.)

Online Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #335 on: February 12, 2018, 11:35:04 am »
 :thankyousign:

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your comment, and the hundred million thanks you sent. My computer was almost glowing from all the alerts I had when I logged on  :D :D

Thanks also for reinforcing what Mito said, and your photo, re. crossing gates overlapping. I am relieved that it is not only on layouts that it happens, but also in real life as well.

I am working on the crossing now, and will put pics up when it is done.

With kind regards
Kevin

Offline MinZaPint

• N Gauge Society Number: 19352
    • Awards
« Reply #336 on: February 13, 2018, 02:53:41 pm »
Well I've just spent a very enjoyable hour or two! reading through this thread which I have found awe inspiring  :wonderfulmodelling: I look forward to following your future progress.
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Online Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #337 on: Yesterday at 12:47:16 pm »
Hi All,

Sorry, but not much has been going on this last week as I seem to have succumbed to a cold bug that has been going around these parts  :cold:  I have been tucked up with bowls of stew, drinking hot Rum and Ribena, and watching old detective films.

A lot better now ( Although still on the Rum and Ribena ...... just to be safe  ;) )

Many thanks indeed for your kind words MinZaPint, We must be quite close as I'm down in Dorset as well (Weymouth)

What little progress that has been made is sorting the yard gates and level crossing gates.

I was not happy with how they were on the last pictures. The lump at the bottom of the gate post made the gate too high, so I cut that off, and as that meant the bottom housing for the hinge also went, I was going to glue the gate permanently across the road, which I was OK with, as one of the many compromises I had to make having a layout this small, was the gates would overlap on the rails.

However, I was delighted to hear from Chris (in Prague) and Mito, that this does happen, so had to think of a way to hinge them.

I did this by drilling an approx. 5mm deep hole in the base of the gate post, and gluing in a pin with the head cut off.

Then with a hole drilled in the pavement, the gate was positioned in place, and the other post and pedestrian gate was glued in. This made the gate a better distance from the ground, and the whole assembly less clumsy.

I painted the whole lot an off white colour, but think it is too white still, so when all the gates are done I will make them more cream, as John says (Thank you John  :thumbsup: ) the paint would yellow with age.

The pin spindle lets the gates pivot quite nicely.

The yard gates I also re did, taking off some of the ballast overspill that went under the gates and having one of them slightly open.

I was going to go the other side of the road and fix the station in, so I could do the other level crossing gate, but will instead finish this side first.

One of the problems with having such a small, but busy, layout is getting a camera in to photograph it. The only place the camera would go to get that last photo was where the station will be, so I will finish this side, photograph it, then sort out the station.

Also thanks to Roger at Wrenton, whose scenic work is so inspirational, for a tip to have a bit of backscene on a board for propping up when photographing a layout in situations where an untidy workroom would show as a background otherwise.

All best wishes
Kevin

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:51:42 pm by Phoenix »

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #338 on: Yesterday at 01:08:43 pm »
Very nice work, Kevin. Glad you're on the mend and hope the 'Purple Tongue Syndrome' clears up very soon ;)

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #339 on: Yesterday at 04:01:47 pm »
That looks good Kevin.
The gate slightly open really works well.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #340 on: Yesterday at 04:07:02 pm »
Looking good Kevin. The gates look much better with your modifications.  :beers:

Online Phoenix

• Awards
« Reply #341 on: Yesterday at 07:25:40 pm »
 :hellosign:

Thanks guys for your comments re the yard gates. I think they do look better like this. Also rather than have the two guys unloading the scammell, which makes that small area look a bit too crowded, (especially with the postmen the other side of the fence) I think I will have the driver parking up the scammell, while his mate closes the gate.

:dunce: I must stop fiddling about  :dunce:

I got very bored waiting for the static grass on the sheep pasture opposite the signal box to dry, so was messing around with the level crossing gate. It was wobbling a bit, and jiggling the static post when opening and closing. I investigated, and yes ....broke it ....... or rather investigated it to pieces  :doh:

on looking close, the problem was the pin spindle was not central to the post, and so was pivoting in a wonky way. I should have noticed this as in hindsight it is quite obvious from the photos, where you can see it bulging out the plastic.

Incidentally you can also see me in the second photo, lurking under the bridge  :D

Anyway, new gate and post sorted, and all is now well. I also put a pin in the fixed post to give it a better fixing just in case.

Luckily when I bought the crossing I bought two just in case I had any problems  :thumbsup:

Now the layout is the other side of the room, so I will not touch it. The job to do now is to make the crossing signs, and a road nameboard for the station approach road.

Very fiddly job, especially cutting the red triangles  :worried:

With kind regards
Kevin

PS. Thanks Mick, but the purple tongue syndrome will continue till all the Rum and Ribena is gone .....It is a lovely hot winter warmer ...... even yummier now as a neighbour bought me some local honey to add.

:beers:  :cold:  :beers:

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:27:31 pm by Phoenix »

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #342 on: Yesterday at 07:38:13 pm »
Maybe a little servo action could operate the gates now that they have spindles???  I've done this with 00 but suspect N could be a challenge.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
February Donations

Advertise Here